Old 09-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #51
Most often it is breakfast in the 5er. Lunch is most often out. Dinner is usually at the 5er. We generally grocery shop the 1st day on the road. Tonight I put steaks on the grill. We explore the area more than stay at the CG so meals, at least one, are often out, but never fast food.

2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #52
JudiVan n Gus
I am very interested as to where you got the extra shade for your Canopy? I really like that Idea and would like to get one. Please direct me in the right direction? Thanks for your help

Gus = 5.5lb Maltipoo lap puppy
2006 F250 Turbo 6.0
2016 FR Heritage Glen

It's not where you go in life, it's who you have with you that matters
judivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #53
I'm not even counting food prep time. I make a list and then go "shopping" at home to see how much I can raid from the freezer and pantry. That way we only need to buy a few things like milk and special request goodies at an unfamiliar store near the campground. After bad eggs and bad milk at campground stores over the years I always go to an outside the campground store for perishables.

I don't consider any of that to be setup or tear down time though. That's just part of the getting the camper ready thing that we do a night or two before we head out.

As to what we take, It depends on season. Spring camping tends to be all at the campground so its three meals a day, all cooked. Summer tends to be breakfast and some dinners. Fall varies as half our fall trips are all at the camper and half are to go visit the PA Ren Faire or Gettysburg where it might be just breakfast at the camper. But I usually pack the fridge and pantry for three meals a day in case of bad weather or just a wake up and be lazy day.
Rig: '16 XLR Hyper-Lite 29 HFS > 2014 Nissan Titan Pro4X 5.6L
'08 HD Screaming Nemo Ultra > '07 HD Dyna Street Dori
Family: DH - JC, DW - Malinda, DD - Sparky the Wonder Chug (Chihuahua & Pug)
Days Camped: 2016 - 22 (+13 reserved); 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #54
Our MH is small, a 22 foot, so setup doesn't take too long. No levelers, though. I have gleaned some good tips here on a thread I posted to help with that.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #55
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
X2. With the dogs it pretty much doubles our set up and take down time. but we bought the trailer to be able to travel with the dogs so I wouldn't have it any other way. cincia

That's why we bought our MH. We have 3 dogs, including one standard poodle who now has terminal cancer. But, she will be happier being with us on 4 day long trips, rather than being at home. I want to keep her nearby anyway.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #56
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Same tent beginnings (I tend to go all out sometimes ) were a little ambitious. I decided "hey...let's try this camping thing" and proceeded to buy a $300 three room tent ( keep in mind there's only the two of us ) complete with built in LED lights. Of course, then followed the camp stove, the camp kitchen, the camp toilet, the camp sink, the chairs, the folding table, the lantern....and on...and on. After a year of playing tetris with the trunk and having the back seat full as well, we went to a popup so all of that junk would have a permanent home. Two years later, popup turned into a 21', two years later that one turned into 30-ish'. I'm done...for at least five years anyway, lol.

Some of that junk from the tent are still being used but I don't bring near the stuff I used to. I used to have over an hour setup time on the popup. After I decided that I really didn't need all went down to about 30 min.

I still see people with tons of stuff at campgrounds. Sat dish and the entire contents of their garage seems like. Two days later....gone. That's a lot of stuff to pack and unpack. I don't want camping to be a job.
We did the "tent" thing for 20+ years. Hauled the two room tent (again, for the two of us), heavy cots, sleeping bags, pillows, bedding, porta potty, easy-up for the "kitchen", Camp Chef stove, 20 lb. propane tank, refrigerator (yes!), numerous coolers, a traveling wooden box that held all of our utensils, pots, pans, plates, etc., a traveling bar, grill, ax and hatchet, grate for the over the fire, lawn games, chairs, chair pads, tables, firewood, tarps, lights, rain gear, clothes, fans or heaters, depending on the season, extension cords, etc. It was a 3+ hour job to set everything up, and a 3+ hour job to take everything down. We progressed from the tent to our current 32 foot TT. We had friends who we camped with who had the pop up first; we saw that it was just about as much work as the tent thing, so we went big right away! Best decision of our lives. There's no way I'd want to go back to that nightmare.
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #57
Originally Posted by laurarice26 View Post
Me too! Lots of cooking and freezing before we leave. Maybe previous posters don't cook?

2014 Wildwood x-lite 185br
towed by 2013 Ram 1500
We cook - at our campsite. No freezing and cooking before hand. Half the fun of camping is coming up with great meals. No burgers and hot dogs for this chica! We travel with a full complement of dutch ovens, other cast iron, etc. We've perfected our prime rib in the dutch oven for the fire and have been known to boil lobsters and crab legs! Bon appetit!
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #58
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
With everything being said, I bet they still had a good time.
Actually...I was a bit jealous. After they got all setup, they threw on some packs and went for a hike. Left the baby with grandma and headed out.

Its just me, the wife and dog. Being that we're in Fl in the summer time, I don't feel that it would be fair to the dog to talk her walking in the woods.
mandring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #59
I hear the OP. We used to take 2-3 hours to set up or take down the entire campsite with a PUP. Of course we had bicycles on the PUP roof, and just a lot of stuff. Overnight camping wasn't my favorite, although cutting out bikes and awning would speed things considerably.

With kids going to school out of state, time off to do week or two trips with the PUP just isn't going to happen for a while. We wanted something to use as a base while sight-seeing Colorado on 1 night to 3 night weekends. And with kids at college, price was definitely an issue! A new TV was not going to happen.

Saw a used A-frame for sale, and that started us thinking. Ended up buying a new Rockwood A122 A-frame.

- could tow comfortably behind our Hyundai minivan, which is a very comfortable touring car. We had to add an E2 600/6000 WDH to restore the minivan ride while towing.

- store in the garage. After our move, the A-frame can be popped up in our new garage, as well as stored there. Makes night before prep even faster.

- sets up in 15 minutes, 45 minutes for entire campsite (EZ-up at/over the picnic table is the most difficult part of setup).

- takes down and ready to leave in 30 minutes.

Because of this, we can make a "Let's go camping" decision and be out the door in 2 hours. Pack food, clothing, put EZ-up, camp chairs, and entrance carpet in minivan. Everything else is kept ready to go in the A-frame. Hook up and go.

Similarly, we arrived at Pueblo Lake State Park on a July weekend overnight, and could not get an electric site. After a couple of hours touring Pueblo Lake and temps still hovering above 100, we gave up and packed down to go home in less than 30 minutes. Our neighbors - watching out the windows of their generator-powered air conditioning - were amazed at how simple it all was, and came out to discuss (delayed us another 20 minutes).

The A-frame is quite nice for 2 (and sometimes a mini-daschund) once we added mattress toppers - more comfortable and convenient than most motels/hotels.

I added dual golf cart batteries so we could stay warm for 4 nights with high 20 degree lows. This allows camping whenever the chosen area is snow-free.

We use primarily paper products but carry a set of plastic/metal for when we change our mind. Cooking/cleaning/lounging is done outside unless we are being heavily rained on. We use campground toilets and showers, although living in Alaska taught us how to manage without should it be necessary.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Waco, TX and Palo Duro State Park, TX
next planned trip: Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, SD
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:10 PM   #60
I am marinating and freezing chicken, making up grill packets, checking recipe lists for ingredients, and baking. I want as much of the prep done so I have a vacation too! And none of the gigundo restaurant bills if we all go out. I try to limit the crew to one select restaurant in that location.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote