Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #21

When I'm just overnighting in my Solera, like last night, I only bother plugging in for electric. It takes me 10 minutes to break camp; put away power cord, bring in the slide , possibly stow the roof Dish, store electric jacks, possibly close the electric awning and check inside that everything is secure. A few switches- nice and simple!!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #22

Maybe they pulled everything out so they had room to sleep. Lol, I hope it was an overnight on a longer trip.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #23

We do quite a few weekenders at state parks near us. It takes my wife and I about 20 minutes to get the trailer setup and that includes putting out a rug, a couple chairs and a small table.

I've noticed a number of overnight tenters where we go. A lot of them appear to be folks that live close by and are taking the kids out for a quick camp out. The difference in how they pack seems to be more oriented by age. The older folks tend to be minimalists where as the younger folks and families seem to bring everything with them. Hikers of all ages seem to have next to nothing. Looking back at our tenting days it took us a while to get things organized. We eventually ended up with most items in boxes that we could load up as needed as opposed to just thrown in the back of the SUV. That in itself made the campsite look less cluttered even though we still had the same number of pans, chairs, lighting and so on.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #24

If the campsite is level, we can have the Solera set up in less than 10 minutes. Take about the same to break camp. We each have our jobs to do and it works well for us. So far, so good.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
My vote is that both groups were novice campers. When we started tent camping we brought everything we owned and bought stuff on the way! It didnt take many trips to get down to just a backpack, or a backpack and "war chest" for longer trips.

We have RV camped with friends for a while before buying our own trailer, so the learning curve was a little less. We basically look at it like tent camping in a really nice, hard shell, air conditioned tent. The learning curve for us has been operating the systems in the camper, not "how" to camp.
Same here...my tent beginnings (I tend to go all out sometimes ) were a little ambitious. I decided "hey...let's try this camping thing" and proceeded to buy a $300 three room tent ( keep in mind there's only the two of us ) complete with built in LED lights. Of course, then followed the camp stove, the camp kitchen, the camp toilet, the camp sink, the chairs, the folding table, the lantern....and on...and on. After a year of playing tetris with the trunk and having the back seat full as well, we went to a popup so all of that junk would have a permanent home. Two years later, popup turned into a 21', two years later that one turned into 30-ish'. I'm done...for at least five years anyway, lol.

Some of that junk from the tent are still being used but I don't bring near the stuff I used to. I used to have over an hour setup time on the popup. After I decided that I really didn't need all that...stuff...it went down to about 30 min.

I still see people with tons of stuff at campgrounds. Sat dish and the entire contents of their garage seems like. Two days later....gone. That's a lot of stuff to pack and unpack. I don't want camping to be a job.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
If the campsite is level, we can have the Solera set up in less than 10 minutes. Take about the same to break camp. We each have our jobs to do and it works well for us. So far, so good.
About the same here but with less concern about if the campsite is level. That is what the "auto level" button is for.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #27

Twice I've seen people with a recliner in their site doing weekend camping. I can't imagine why they would want to lug those heavy pieces of furniture in their trucks. Now, they just need to bring the kitchen sink....
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #28

[/QUOTE]That is what the "auto level" button is for.[/QUOTE]

That would be a nice feature to have!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #29

That is what the "auto level" button is for.[/QUOTE]

That would be a nice feature to have![/QUOTE]

At age 68 and no plans to stop hauling a 5er around the country it becomes a requirement. I see some heavier framed TTs will soon have the option as well. Push the button and before I can get the water hose connected we are level and stabile.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #30

Best thing is that level button.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #31

Auto leveler😀 10 min, 20 mins setup/tear down 😀 Must admit, I'm a bit jealous. We still have our pop up, which is great in its own little world. But I must admit, I'm a bit in awe at how quick and easy a TT, MH or 5er is to set up.

Still my kids think it is awesome, so that makes up for it. And yes, I must agree. We are camping for the week now at laurel highland near Ohio Pyle in PA. The neighbors have brought everything and then some.
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #32
Experience by Repair

Wife n I can get set up n tear down in about 20 minutes on our 44' toy hauler. That Auto Level is absolutely a must I will not go without! We work on wireless internet when we travel so breaking down the portable office inside takes most of the time. Pretty simple set up for us....dogs on tieout, couple bag chairs, companion Holland grill, maybe the mat...beer.
JJ XLR Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodaman View Post
Auto leveler�� 10 min, 20 mins setup/tear down �� Must admit, I'm a bit jealous. We still have our pop up, which is great in its own little world. But I must admit, I'm a bit in awe at how quick and easy a TT, MH or 5er is to set up.

Still my kids think it is awesome, so that makes up for it. And yes, I must agree. We are camping for the week now at laurel highland near Ohio Pyle in PA. The neighbors have brought everything and then some.
More important than how fast you set up is how much fun you are having and the memories you are making. After Boy Scouts in the 50s and Jungle camping in the 60s I started with a 19' camper in the 70s. My girls have memories they will never forget. Now the 2 of us and a very old dog just keep going and exploring the US in a 35' 5er with 3 slides. Much more room than the 4 of us had. When you reach our age you will still be making memories and the advances in equipment will boggle your mind. Our 1st TV was a '74 Plymouth and today is a 1 ton diesel truck with more amenities than available back then. Many "awesome" years to go.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #34

Sounds great. It is going on our wish list. Thanks.
CJ (Claudia Jean) Pit/Lab mix
2016 Trips 6 Nights 18
2017 Trips 0 Nights 0
Prof and Agate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #35

Familiar with this leveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duradiesel View Post
Best thing is that level button.
Is anyone familiar with this leveling device. It looks good but is obviously more expensive than three pieces of 1x12 screwed together.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
CJ (Claudia Jean) Pit/Lab mix
2016 Trips 6 Nights 18
2017 Trips 0 Nights 0
Prof and Agate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof and Agate View Post
Is anyone familiar with this leveling device. It looks good but is obviously more expensive than three pieces of 1x12 screwed together.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
We had one for our single axle Jayco 17Z trailer. It worked great! Even if the site was level it makes for the best wheel chock. Very simple to use and easily raised the low side of the trailer a few inches or more when needed.
I don't use one now that we have the duel axle, and I miss it!
Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #37
jkoenig24

The reason I bought my Dynamax DX3-37RB is because, even with the two slides retracted, my Super-C diesel puller is 99% usable (the bed blocks three drawers). If I'm just stopping for the night, there's no need to open a slide. If I'll be in one location for more than two days, I can be fully deployed in about 30 minutes.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #38

You know for some people, especially the new campers, half the fun is setting up that complete camp site. For us it's now a matter of what we'll be using. If we're going to sit outside on the toyhauler ramp we get out some chairs and the propane campfire and some lights for the rails. We usually pull it down at night to close up. Still fun. It used to be really fun to get it all out regardless and set it up, just for the sake of that "complete" RV site. Now its fun to have less work and 20 minutes up and 30 down (including sewer dumping). So while we're all judging (myself included), its good to remember those early days when it was just cool to be able to create that RV site like you see in the magazines.
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #39

Getting judged by fellow campers/neighbors is my favorite part about going camping!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
Getting judged by fellow campers/neighbors is my favorite part about going camping!
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote