Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #21

I'm fine with a quick conversation but I would never bring over a beer, soda, pull a chair up, share a campfire, or invade another's vacation or time away. Just not me.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
So believe it or not, I'm actually quite shy and socially awkward in person (until you get to know me). Yes I'm very different on the forums behind a computer screen. I don't mind someone starting up.a conversation with us. I usually wave, give a smile and say hi. Beyond that I wait for others to make the first move. DH is a little more extroverted and easily sparks up conversations.
Same here. My wife is a social butterfly and has no problem carrying on a conversation with just about anyone. I'm the complete opposite. I have no problem with people coming up to me but very rarely will I initiate the conversation.

I don't even like talking on the phone unless I absolutely have to.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Personally I'm not a very social person.
I prefer staying alone on my site...I don't interact with others very often.
And prefer when others do the same.
Happy camping and no offence to anyone !
You and I could be very friendly neighbors, both being of the same mind. But then I'm the type of person that as soon as I get seated on the airplanne I pull out earplugs or an iPod to get the point across to my seat neighbor that I don't want to chat.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #24

my wife is a good judge to talk to someone or not but she is southern so she talks to everyone me the yankee kinda stick to myself
Old 05-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLightkeeper View Post
I tend to try and be sociable to an extent. If I see someone look over my way, I will wave and say good morning, afternoon or evening, which ever works. Then I leave it up to them if they want to start a conversation. If I see someone having difficulty during set up, I will call over and ask if they could use a hand.

But there are times I wish people would stay on their own site. Last trip out, campground was all but empty during the week. On the weekend it filled as expected. A group of campers behind me had to cross thru to go to the restrooms. They started out the first day going along the backside of my camper between me and an empty site. The next day, for what ever reason, they started coming right thru my site, between my picnic table and my front door of my camper. Now that was slightly intrusive in my thinking. And never spoke as they traipsed thru.
I'm not shy. I tell them to go around. After all, why is the arse here?
Old 05-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #26

I don't even like talking on the phone unless I absolutely have to. [/QUOTE]

X2. I talk on the phone all day at work. I generally do some bitching when the phone rings...usually someone wants something....occasionally it's the GS and he doesn't talk long. Lol. He says "I'll call you back!" He is 3
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464119871.328034.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	108880

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #27

Oh dear. My insecurity is showing.

I spent many years answering the phone for a huge customer........and if they wanted a phone delivered tomorrow that was blue and hovered over their desk 9 inches, defying gravity, and wanted it in 11 minutes, they got it. If they got it and it didn't work, I got called. I didn't fix it, but I told the guys that did to get with it!!

I hate all phones. A ringing phone will send me through the roof. It's an irrational phobia and I can't help it. Text me if you want to talk to me. I normally turn the phone ringer off.

OK.......Where were we?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
One of the great things about RVing is the opportunity to meet our neighbors at campgrounds. However, lately we have resisted just walking over to the camper next door for fear of intruding. If I see someone next door I will wave hello, but if they don't look receptive to a conversation I tend to leave them alone for the rest of the camping period. Maybe I just catch them at a bad time.

What are some of your tips for striking up a conversation with your neighbors?
I am a big coffee drinker and often have a fresh pot handy. I won't hesitate to offer you a cup. You want it fine, you don't, fine.

Another way I find helps is to have my dog tied to the picnic table. Many times I have been asked is she friendly? Then we can talk for a few minutes while she gets her head scratched. I have found most pet owners are good people.

As for the beer, won't do a thing for me. I am not a big beer drinker. Nothing personal, just not my thing. Now Gentleman Jack or a good scotch and that's a different story. To each their own.

Jim
Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #29
Site Team

I usually am camping with a group of friends, so we are pretty social and open to everyone walking by or stopping in to introduce themselves. We sometimes even publicize our camping get togethers on a hobby website we are members of, just to invite non-campers to stop by for a visit.

I can understand the phone thing. I too, spend so much time on the phone at work, it takes an act of Congress to get me to converse on either my cell or home phone. My close friends and family pick on me all the time about how useless it is to call me since I never answer.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #30
Broken Toe

Wearing anything relating to St. Louis (Especially a Blues shirt or hat) is taken as an immediate invitation that you want to be my new temporary best friend.

Honestly though, I look at what they are doing. If people are just sitting out, cold-chilling, I might wander up to say hi. If they are actually engaged in doing something... Cooking, setting up, basket weaving, etc. then I will just let a nod and a wave suffice.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 05-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #31
Senior Gold Member

Making friends while camping

Quote:
One of the great things about RVing is the opportunity to meet our neighbors at campgrounds. However, lately we have resisted just walking over to the camper next door for fear of intruding. If I see someone next door I will wave hello, but if they don't look receptive to a conversation I tend to leave them alone for the rest of the camping period. Maybe I just catch them at a bad time.

I have been camping for over 50 years and seen where having children or pets can work both ways depending on how they are behaving and have seen some examples of both.
Coming from a rural Northern town you just spoke to people or they thought you were uppity. On the road not so much. I've read in Trailer Life and Good Sam publications about people meeting some good people and you do but they are generally not your weekend campers rather they are the experienced seasoned vets. We have even had a few disasters on the road where nobody in the campground nor the campground owners showed any concern or interest in our plight.
I would say wave and say hello when you or other people arrive. Be respectful of their site and privacy. Offer to lend a hand if you see they are in difficulty and you are going to meet some fantastic people on the road and the odd jerk!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Pretty good thread. Lots of interesting stories. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey00 View Post
As a person who prefers to be left in his own peace and quiet I can speak only for myself.

I don't mind people who wave and say hi or even stop for a quick chat. But the annoying ones are the TMI people. I'm sorry but I don't give a crap about you or your life....not being rude but I have 3 adult children and a grandchild...I have enough problems with them. I have had some brutal tragedies in my life that probably beat 90% of anyone else on here but we keep these to ourselves.

I don't feel like listening to you or your issues....you probably can't match mine...and I never discuss mine with anyone. Life is too short to bring down the neighbors with my lifes tragedies. I smile and keep it light and happy. But too many other people need to shut the heck up......sorry but seriously...TMI TMI.

Also don't run over to say hi and ask for my ladder as I am getting out of my vehicle...give a man time to go pee and get a cup of coffee.

People camp to relax...if you do not project relaxation then you are probably annoying...or your kids or worse your dogs.

Just read the persons response both verbally and physically when you say hi. Even on a bad day I am always polite but I may not exude come on over right now.

If a person can't handle a wave and hello then they need to find a lone stretch of BLM land and go it alone. I am a bit of a loaner..always have been but hey...it is a campground and I try and be polite and friendly. But..I have waved at people sitting at the fire ring and gave a quick hello and just got the evil stink eye
I guess we're made of the same wood....I feel exactly the same as you !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #34

When you are in full view of your neighbors stretch and very loudly say "Damn, it feels great to be out of prison"......joking of course lol. I say hi comment on the weather, then if they want to talk fine. If not I go about my business. I like to say Hi, but really font look for any best friends. I like my space also. So far people I have met have been great.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #35

Discovered one weekend that a bushel of crabs and a lot of corn on the cob will bring the neighbors over in a heartbeat. My brother and his family and a co worker all bailed on me. It was to be a great get together we were planning for months. Co worker became very ill and hospitalized two days before event. My brothers vehicle broke down that morning enroute to CG. He decided could not make the trip do to vehicle repair costs. So I had a lot of food to eat, we invited many people at CG join us. It was slightly awkward not really knowing anyone but we all warmed up and had a great night.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #36
Cyber Phrenologist

I arrived late (at sunset) to a campground once and a guy came over and followed me around with a really good flashlight while making light conversation. That was actually helpful. And we made good friends and neighbors.

But the best way we have found to make friends is with our 12 -15 serving Dutch oven peach cobbler recipe, since there are only 2 of us and it would be a shame to waste all that cobbler and the ice cream, too.

My line is "Could you help us out with a problem we're having over here?"
Invariably the answer is "Sure, what can we do to help?"
And my answer, "Well, it seems we have way too much peach cobbler and ice cream on our hands...."

Old 05-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #37

I always had the silver Husky's leash in my and most people couldnt walk past her and not stop.Not too sure what I'll do this year.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #38

EVERY CG we have been in, people stop by to comment on the Aviator, ask if the huge front windows are actually windows, ask about the solar panels on the roof, the outside entertainment center, or the cat in the window. It's good we are friendly folks and enjoy sober company. Drunks can keep on walking.
Please do not bother me while I'm setting up. At my age, I have a procedure and if it is interrupted, no telling what the outcome will be. However, if you see that I am trapped under the unit, bleeding and not breathing, feel free to offer your assistance and assume that I will take it. My wife most likely is inside asleep and won't miss me till time to cook supper as I'm the cook. The first thing she does when we set up is nap. Actually, that's a good thing as she is...mechanically challenged and has no clue what "if you can't see ME in the mirror, I can't see YOU" means. She still can't understand that. Stupid mirrors!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #39

Quote:

New England is Classic for the no answer no eye contact camper...
My Rule...Never speak or approach first!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #40
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep typical easterners. Found that out many years ago. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Closed Thread