Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Pretty good thread. Lots of interesting stories. Later RJD
Thanks! What prompted me to post the topic was an observation from last week at a CG in Florida. We saw one couple from a camper strike up a conversation in the street with their next door neighbors. Next thing you know one couple goes and gets their chairs and carries them over to the neighbors. You would think they were long lost friends. So we got to thinking about the intrusion aspect.

Personally we are the type that will wave and say hello, but wouldn't think of inserting ourselves into someone else's vacation. And I don't drink so that angle is out.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see the range of social interaction behavior that the forum members have. Feel free to use it for a thesis paper.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Telling me how your class A is better than my fifth wheel was a great ice breaker. And then loudly proclaiming how I was doing things wrong. I really liked that guy.

OR, alternatively- the friends we actually made at the same campground. We pulled up and the kids on the playground literally squealed in delight at seeing other kids. We made a point to get a site near them. Our kids played with their kids. The adults chatted with the adults. It was good.
Birds of a feather flock together.
😂
Old 05-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
New England is Classic for the no answer no eye contact camper...
My Rule...Never speak or approach first!
X2
We lived on Cape Cod [Barnstable and Falmouth Harbour for 18 months, the worst and longest 18 months of our lives. They equate a southern accent with ignorance. Being from Georgia, it was tough at best. My wife and our daughter both graduated Summa cum Laude from U of Georgia and I'm a retired commercial pilot, so none of us are dumb. They sure treated us as if we were. It isn't on our bucket list of places to return.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #44
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Thanks! What prompted me to post the topic was an observation from last week at a CG in Florida. We saw one couple from a camper strike up a conversation in the street with their next door neighbors. Next thing you know one couple goes and gets their chairs and carries them over to the neighbors. You would think they were long lost friends. So we got to thinking about the intrusion aspect.

Personally we are the type that will wave and say hello, but wouldn't think of inserting ourselves into someone else's vacation. And I don't drink so that angle is out.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see the range of social interaction behavior that the forum members have. Feel free to use it for a thesis paper.
It's really interesting to see how other folks interject there ideas. Makes one think about next outing and how to handle. Thanks. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #45
Professional Curmudgeon

We avoid RV parks and seek out state parks and COE campgrounds since they generally have a goodly amount of space between sites. This makes it less likely that anybody will impose themselves on me.
I made an exception once; we stayed at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park, which is pretty nice as far as I can tell, however, as I was checking my stabilizer jacks one day a woman came out of the TT next door and commenced to telling me in no uncertain terms everything that is wrong with my country (Canadian plates on the TT, btw). It was like she was picking up a conversation that had been interrupted.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #46

I think it depends on the environment also. We have a daughter that is a student at Mississippi State, so we camp frequently in a campground in Starkville. During football season, on game weekends the campground is one big tailgate all weekend. After games, if my daughter is still wearing her band uniform when we return to the campground, we have plenty of visitors. I don't mind this, I usually am ready to enjoy a few cold ones by the campfire. At other times however, there is a much different crowd in the campground and everyone usually is just passing through or has business at the university and people will just give a quick hello and go on about their business.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #47

a woman came out of the TT next door and commenced to telling me in no uncertain terms everything that is wrong with my country (Canadian plates on the TT, btw). It was like she was picking up a conversation that had been interrupted.[/QUOTE]

Hey, we are not all rude ( Canadian plates on my MH)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Telling me how your class A is better than my fifth wheel was a great ice breaker. And then loudly proclaiming how I was doing things wrong.
For me, that would be a fun conversation. I generally hold the trump card when interacting with those folks.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
For me, that would be a fun conversation. I generally hold the trump card when interacting with those folks.

Tuckerdog1
Remember when in doubt...
Never speak or approach first!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Remember when in doubt...
Never speak or approach first!
Just make like your on your cell phone!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
We avoid RV parks and seek out state parks and COE campgrounds since they generally have a goodly amount of space between sites. This makes it less likely that anybody will impose themselves on me.
I made an exception once; we stayed at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park, which is pretty nice as far as I can tell, however, as I was checking my stabilizer jacks one day a woman came out of the TT next door and commenced to telling me in no uncertain terms everything that is wrong with my country (Canadian plates on the TT, btw). It was like she was picking up a conversation that had been interrupted.
We've run into that same thing on several occasions, too. Probably that same woman! I just smile pleasantly and say "Well, then, perhaps y'all should pack up and go back home, eh? Y'all have a nice trip and don't forget to write!"
Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #52

We are social with neighbors, not to overdue it. I will help out with someone struggling to back into a site, usually a good ice breaker. Won't overdue my welcome, as some one stated before, we go camping to get away. I like my piece and quiet.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #53

Interesting campground sociology.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Running over while your neighbor is trying to set up is a sure way to get a cold reception, I have found.

Waiting until things slow down and popping over with a cold beer or soda cooler seems to be a sure friend maker.
Good points. I would also prefer to be left alone while hooking up to leave. Not a time for me to be distracted and forget something important.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #55
MCTroy

Since my job is in sales and customer service, I am usually "talked out" by the weekend and welcome some quiet time. I leave the socializing to my DH. We camp with two big dogs. We like to advise those camped near us that the dogs are very friendly. This is a good way to start a conversation. And more than a few folks have stopped to ask about the V nose Windjammer or our bright blue Ram . Complimenting others on their rig is a good conversation started too.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #56

OK we tow with a different set up, a full size Kenworth tractor and a Smart car on the back, when we pull in we are almost always approached to ask about the set up. I tell folks to let us please get backed in and set up then I will answer any questions, it seems to work well. Within the group that tows like this we have said you have to be a people person to do this just because most are curios about it.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #57

For the most we are social folks. Just do not interact during set up or tear down of our rig or yours. To easy to get out of routine and at my age hard to remember where I am interupped. After set up great, our rescue pup at 13 pounds is a good ice breaker, and she knows how to share the love. Every one seems to say "rescue are the best", guess they are being nice as they most often do not have a lease puller of there own. My LSU and FROG stickers also draw a few conversations. Especially the one that ask if if went there while looking at the Alumi plate. Overall find most campers are very friendly and are up to share a story or two.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
Old 05-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #58
Insert witty title here

I love being social but I also try to be respectful for the peace and privacy of my neighbors. Other than a friendly hello, I will rarely venture over to my neighbor's site unless invited.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #59
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstillman View Post
Birds of a feather flock together.
😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
I'll tell you, it was a one-sided interaction! I won't lie- I was pleased when they left in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
OK we tow with a different set up, a full size Kenworth tractor and a Smart car on the back, when we pull in we are almost always approached to ask about the set up. I tell folks to let us please get backed in and set up then I will answer any questions, it seems to work well. Within the group that tows like this we have said you have to be a people person to do this just because most are curios about it.
My bike rack is the same- lots of people end up commenting on it. We had some folks come from 2 rows over while we were trying to back in and first chatted my wife up as she was trying to spot for me and then me up when I got out of the truck. Mandie said she all but watched them make a bee-line for us.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #60

I'll say hello first and if no response so be it. 2 weeks ago at a state park here in Va I met 2 people from Canada, the first one was an a hole and the second guy was one of the nicest people I've ever met.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Closed Thread