Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #61
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post

But the best way we have found to make friends is with our 12 -15 serving Dutch oven peach cobbler recipe, since there are only 2 of us and it would be a shame to waste all that cobbler and the ice cream, too.

My line is "Could you help us out with a problem we're having over here?"
Invariably the answer is "Sure, what can we do to help?"
And my answer, "Well, it seems we have way too much peach cobbler and ice cream on our hands...."

I'm gonna need a copy of your camping schedule for 2016...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 05-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I'm gonna need a copy of your camping schedule for 2016...

Tim
X2
Old 05-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #63

Last summer we were sitting under our awning as a couple walked by with there 2 little dogs,,, they stopped and he said,,, Permission to Enter !!! LOL !!!
There were from Alaska,,, we talked for at least an hour !!!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #64

My neighbor and I were both closing up. His tongue jack collapsed. He didn't have any tools with him so I went over and offered him help. He gave me a dirty look so I left. Little later I went back and he accepted. We got him hooked up and ready to go. He asked what he could give me for helping and I told him nothing. I then told him to help the next person he saw having trouble.

He looked at me and said I would have never thought of that, but will next time. So I was a little late getting out, no big deal. It felt good to help a stranger. I hear from him from time to time. Hope to see him later this summer.

Jim
Old 05-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Running over while your neighbor is trying to set up is a sure way to get a cold reception, I have found.

Waiting until things slow down and popping over with a cold beer or soda cooler seems to be a sure friend maker.
No kidding, especially from me. I hate it when people do that. Wife and I have a system and we take our time, both when hooking up and when unhooking.

Hooking up-had a guy run over and start to try and direct me, I didn't trust him, plus he was blocking my backup camera and putting himself in danger. Turned out what he really wanted was to find out where I bought the armaflex I used on my heat traced city water hose.

Unhooking-I was having trouble getting the hitch to release, guy runs over and says "you do it like this" and starts jumping up and down on my dam bumper. I said Get off my truck, I've done this before. Idiot. My hitch is a little hard to release at times, I've learned how to get it loose, how a stranger thinks he's knows more about it than me is beyond my comprehension.

I would never consider helping someone in those situations unless they were already friends or if they asked. If they're getting ready to back into a tree or something I might yell Stop. I just sit there, drink my drink and watch. Maybe I'll learn something. The wife-husband interactions are really quite entertaining.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #66

Lots of stuff here makes sense.

Wasn't going to tell this, but I will.......... last camping trip (last summer, actually, sadly!)....I fell going down the trailer steps. Gravel pad. I had blood all over me and I was about knocked out. DW and grandson were gone for a while swimming. I just lay there.

Some guy across finally saw me, and came to help. I was danged glad he 'intruded' at that point. I apparently passed out a bit, here and there, hit my head on the awning support (a daily occurrence in that trailer!). He helped me get cleaned up and I was ok after a few minutes. But I was glad he was around and intervened.

And I am so inept at most things that I usually am glad for any advice. Some day, I might get good at this..........(doubtful, but always possible!!!)...........and not need advice. Now, I appreciate it.....if you're not a Goober. If you're a Goober and know less than I do, we can just sit around and laugh and drink until a Non-Goober comes along to help us both!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
No kidding, especially from me. I hate it when people do that. Wife and I have a system and we take our time, both when hooking up and when unhooking.

Hooking up-had a guy run over and start to try and direct me, I didn't trust him, plus he was blocking my backup camera and putting himself in danger. Turned out what he really wanted was to find out where I bought the armaflex I used on my heat traced city water hose.

Unhooking-I was having trouble getting the hitch to release, guy runs over and says "you do it like this" and starts jumping up and down on my dam bumper. I said Get off my truck, I've done this before. Idiot. My hitch is a little hard to release at times, I've learned how to get it loose, how a stranger thinks he's knows more about it than me is beyond my comprehension.

I would never consider helping someone in those situations unless they were already friends or if they asked. If they're getting ready to back into a tree or something I might yell Stop. I just sit there, drink my drink and watch. Maybe I'll learn something. The wife-husband interactions are really quite entertaining.
I would never jump in like that but might offer a hand. You say no that's fine, I understand. But it never hurts to offer if someone is having a problem. I wish someone had yelled when I dented my tailgate. It was my first 5er and had forgot to lower my gate when hooking up. Won't make that mistake again. You never know when someone is new at what they are doing. An offer doesn't hurt. They say no thanks then leave them alone.

Jim
Old 05-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #68
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I would never jump in like that but might offer a hand. You say no that's fine, I understand. But it never hurts to offer if someone is having a problem. I wish someone had yelled when I dented my tailgate. It was my first 5er and had forgot to lower my gate when hooking up. Won't make that mistake again. You never know when someone is new at what they are doing. An offer doesn't hurt. They say no thanks then leave them alone.
Agreed. There's a difference between offering to help and intruding. KingFisher described intrusions.

Offers to help- my first time backing the fifth wheel up and I was terrified. I had pulled forward about the time an old guy was walking past- I must have that look on my face and he gently said, "if it were me, I'd pull a little more forward" and barely broke is stride walking. I did what he suggested and it definitely seemed to help.

That same trip, we were hitching up for the first time on our own. I had my iPad out with the B&W hitching instructions and we were going super slowly (do a step, check the directions, and verify it). A neighbor a couple of sites up walked down and asked if we were OK? and said that we were going really slow. I thanked him and said we were intentionally going so slow so that we were certain of each step. He made a quick mention of something that might help, turned and said "hollar if you need anything".

As I said, there's offering help and then there's intruding. I now commonly offer help, if they say no- then that's it and we're done. If they're short or cross, then they're likely having a rough day and don't want a looky-loo.

I also have never subscribed to the concept of watching my neighbors. I'll do my thing but I don't sit and stare- I wouldn't want it done of me and I won't do it to them.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #69
Happy Camper

I have never met a stranger so I now have many friends.

A friendly smile & wave as you pass by, an offer to help guide a new camper into their spot, hold a flashlight if your neighbor comes in at dark, offer assistance if you see what appears to be camper repair in work, and then knowing when you are not welcomed at that particular time is all part of being a good camper.

Happy Camping
Old 05-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
X2
We lived on Cape Cod [Barnstable and Falmouth Harbour for 18 months, the worst and longest 18 months of our lives. They equate a southern accent with ignorance. Being from Georgia, it was tough at best. My wife and our daughter both graduated Summa cum Laude from U of Georgia and I'm a retired commercial pilot, so none of us are dumb. They sure treated us as if we were. It isn't on our bucket list of places to return.
They are that way even if you are from the north. If you are not from there well, you know what I mean!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #71

My towed and two dogs are the ice breakers. Owner is friendly also. And offer help or tools if needed.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
They are that way even if you are from the north. If you are not from there well, you know what I mean!
Wifey and I regularly visit the Cape either before the season starts or after Labor Day. Traffic is lighter and most of the rude folk are off the peninsula.
Now, when I was flying, the guy in the right seat was a southerner and told me
we 'had three green' (as in landing gear all down) so slowwwwly that I swear he was waiting for a different shade...
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #73
jsk

If you see me sitting outside in my chair, by all means walk up and have a seat. I will get you a cold desired beverage and something to eat (if it is meal tIme). We can chat. If the DW joins in you might be there longer than you anticipated.

About 10 years ago while camping myself and the woman of the family in the site behind ours kept having eye contact. After a few days we finally started chatting. Since that year our families have both correlated our vacation times so we can meet up at the beach for 2 weeks. This has been going on for 10 years. As time passed we have met other people and now there are about 8 families from 4 states that we meet up with every year. The kids do their thing and the adults do their thing. This kind of relaxation is why we go camping. When you meet somebody you never know how it will turn out.

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS
Old 05-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #74

Invariably, somebody always comes over and tells us how to fish. This being 2hours after we've already been back in camp with two limits, and they've just got back with two fish.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm anti-social because so many people generally disappointment me by being inconsiderate. Barking dogs, uncontrolled kids throwing balls and hitting my truck, campfires with green wood producing nothing but smoke, loud music, walking through campsites, etc.

We go camping to (hopefully) enjoy nature and some peace and quiet. We avoid weekends and camp on the outside loops; away from bathrooms etc. Dry camping at National or State forests is generally better; more real campers.

People are generally attracted to our dog. I will happily chat on the loop road with them for 5 minutes. But we don't wind up at someone's campsite; talking and having a drink. For us, it's not party time, it's nature time.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 05-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #76

over the last 7000 miles I have only found one couple that was relatively willing to talk, most just try to avoid eye contact, all the friendly conversation I hear about seems to be few and far between, I know people are out to get away and enjoy some quiet time, but some conversation is always welcome after a time away from home, but to each their own
Old 05-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #77

Once I see them done setting up I try to start with "Hello" and say some compliments about something they have on hand or near them for example their dog. Then I ask them where they are from...and so on. This is what I do to make new friends at camp whenever I feel like it.

-Ayn Rand
Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #78
Who Dares, Wins

I have never had an issue with talking to those who want to, just half the time I'm not sure what to say. I do not want to be that guy that rambles on about his rash he has.... I am also not into telling all about myself. Mostly talk about places we have been and where we will be going.

I am also of the theory of waving and saying hello and if engaged will keep talking. Had a few just wave back and continue on and a few give full on tours of their setups. One guy, a hobbyist wood worker, replaced all his counters with slabs cut from a VERY large oak tree for a rustic looking counter top.

Now, I am a good listener at times. Which helped when I had a neighbor who had lost several friends on the left coast (shot and killed). He was taking time to re-find himself. I think he needed someone to talk with who could relate. We had a good 2 hour talk. Just happy I could be there to listen.

NOW what DOES get my goat... We all wave at each other at the campgrounds (even if we want to be left alone) but on the road we all look straight ahead with a look of anger on our faces and refuse to even acknowledge each other on the road let alone wave!

Never had any issues with those from Canada. But I will agree the two times we were at the Cape Cod area, the locals were less than friendly (unless they were taking our money).

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #79

Just read the whole thread, what a great way to get an insight into camping humanity, and others! We put on about 3000 miles last year and met nearly every type mentioned here and still had a good time. If any of the adult children come along then we seem to have more neighbor conversations as there is more activity in our site. When it is just the DW and I, we are a bit more of the quiet nature lover/observers.

Someone said that common sense ain't so common, and that would seem to be the problem in many situations.

We are heading out again next month, hope to find your peach cobbler.

-brent

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
Old 05-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
A six pack in hand, usually helps me warm up to the person carrying it!
Closed Thread