Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Making Friends versus Intruding

One of the great things about RVing is the opportunity to meet our neighbors at campgrounds. However, lately we have resisted just walking over to the camper next door for fear of intruding. If I see someone next door I will wave hello, but if they don't look receptive to a conversation I tend to leave them alone for the rest of the camping period. Maybe I just catch them at a bad time.

What are some of your tips for striking up a conversation with your neighbors?

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Camp Bartender

A six pack in hand, usually helps me warm up to the person carrying it!

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Running over while your neighbor is trying to set up is a sure way to get a cold reception, I have found.

Waiting until things slow down and popping over with a cold beer or soda cooler seems to be a sure friend maker.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Running over while your neighbor is trying to set up is a sure way to get a cold reception, I have found.

Waiting until things slow down and popping over with a cold beer or soda cooler seems to be a sure friend maker.
x2
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Always Learning

Telling me how your class A is better than my fifth wheel was a great ice breaker. And then loudly proclaiming how I was doing things wrong. I really liked that guy.

OR, alternatively- the friends we actually made at the same campground. We pulled up and the kids on the playground literally squealed in delight at seeing other kids. We made a point to get a site near them. Our kids played with their kids. The adults chatted with the adults. It was good.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #6

Keep the interaction short and don't overshare. We had one couple come by our site and stay for an hour, telling us all about their teenage daughter's medical issues and lots of other stuff I wish I didn't know about them. Most folks are game for a little light conversation, though.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

neighbors

I do not hesitate to go say hi after a neighbor is set up. If they seem talkative I will mention the weather or some important topic like that and if they don't seem talkative I leave. If they are offended just because I said hi then I don't really care about them anyway. My wife and I camp six months a year and we have many really good friends around the country just because we took the time to say hi.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Agree. I know I can be a little short while setting up, especially if I am trying to beat sundown. Once I am setup I'm cool with anyone stopping by.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

My Grandfather used to say that he didn't mind mankind..... it was the people he couldn't stand. Personally, I prefer to be left alone but I will wave and chat. My DW on the other hand, she is our social director and tells me what to wear and what time be somewhere.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

Personally I'm not a very social person.
I prefer staying alone on my site...I don't interact with others very often.
And prefer when others do the same.
Happy camping and no offence to anyone !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #11

we take the grand childrens rubber ball and toss it over towards their trailer.
works well until they say you have kids with you and we say no their
at home...

I'm kidding....

eye contact works unless they are really attractive ladies and my wife catches me.

but seriously - when everyone is set up and looks less stressed...
a wave and a hello works wonders. last weekend there were 3 good sam club members across from us. one guy wouldn't give you the time of day and his buddy when i was talking to him would not acknowledge I was there - the 3rd guy was able to carry on a respectable conversation.

Its ok though because i only had to share 1 beer not 3.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #12

"Dogs are welcome, people are tolerated" Well, as long as people don't overstep their boundaries, smoke me out with their fire, are respectful, and conscience of quiet hours. Some people are actually great.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Telling me how your class A is better than my fifth wheel was a great ice breaker. And then loudly proclaiming how I was doing things wrong. I really liked that guy.
I just hand him my set up list and point to where the tools are, pull a chair and sit down with a cold drink.

I am more open to talking to people with pets than people with kids. Someone playing music (or us) is an open invitation, just bring your own.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 05-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #14

I tend to try and be sociable to an extent. If I see someone look over my way, I will wave and say good morning, afternoon or evening, which ever works. Then I leave it up to them if they want to start a conversation. If I see someone having difficulty during set up, I will call over and ask if they could use a hand.

But there are times I wish people would stay on their own site. Last trip out, campground was all but empty during the week. On the weekend it filled as expected. A group of campers behind me had to cross thru to go to the restrooms. They started out the first day going along the backside of my camper between me and an empty site. The next day, for what ever reason, they started coming right thru my site, between my picnic table and my front door of my camper. Now that was slightly intrusive in my thinking. And never spoke as they traipsed thru.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #15

As a person who prefers to be left in his own peace and quiet I can speak only for myself.

I don't mind people who wave and say hi or even stop for a quick chat. But the annoying ones are the TMI people. I'm sorry but I don't give a crap about you or your life....not being rude but I have 3 adult children and a grandchild...I have enough problems with them. I have had some brutal tragedies in my life that probably beat 90% of anyone else on here but we keep these to ourselves.

I don't feel like listening to you or your issues....you probably can't match mine...and I never discuss mine with anyone. Life is too short to bring down the neighbors with my lifes tragedies. I smile and keep it light and happy. But too many other people need to shut the heck up......sorry but seriously...TMI TMI.

Also don't run over to say hi and ask for my ladder as I am getting out of my vehicle...give a man time to go pee and get a cup of coffee.

People camp to relax...if you do not project relaxation then you are probably annoying...or your kids or worse your dogs.

Just read the persons response both verbally and physically when you say hi. Even on a bad day I am always polite but I may not exude come on over right now.

If a person can't handle a wave and hello then they need to find a lone stretch of BLM land and go it alone. I am a bit of a loaner..always have been but hey...it is a campground and I try and be polite and friendly. But..I have waved at people sitting at the fire ring and gave a quick hello and just got the evil stink eye
Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

HEY, HOW ARE Y'ALL? Where y'all from?

The answer tells me what to do next......... if short and curt, I say "Great! Have a great time!"......... if they engage, I engage.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
Steelchef

Different Strokes

Folks we've met 'on the road' are diverse and each one has a different idea about socializing. Just as those who have already responded to this post.
Booze is not always met with positive results. I've approached people who turned out to be either teetotallers or in recovery.
Asking a person where they're from, what they do etc. has worked best for me. If there's any interest in continuing a conversation, it will usually happen at this point. I'm also watchful of any needs a neighbour may have and always carry spares such as a water hose, sewer hose, blocks, etc. to help out, where it's required. We also carry a sign that says "OPEN CAMPFIRE" which is an invitation for all to join us.
PV - 2012 Toyota Rav 4
Old 05-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
HEY, HOW ARE Y'ALL? Where y'all from?

The answer tells me what to do next......... if short and curt, I say "Great! Have a great time!"......... if they engage, I engage.
I'm that way myself. I have lived in a lot of states and if I see a license plate from one of them that my invitation to say hi. Be surprised how small a world it is at times. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #19
Site Team

People have different social interaction needs. I camp solo so I do welcome conversation while sitting outdoors. If I am having trouble with something I would not mind an offer of help but for the most part I prefer to set up on my own.

I love the idea of coming across an "Open Campfire" sign! I love campfires but I get tend to become bored with it if I'm alone. Being single I have more than enough time to do some thinking so I crave conversations I don't know all the lines to.

I agree with the replies about TMI being a downer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

So believe it or not, I'm actually quite shy and socially awkward in person (until you get to know me). Yes I'm very different on the forums behind a computer screen. I don't mind someone starting up.a conversation with us. I usually wave, give a smile and say hi. Beyond that I wait for others to make the first move. DH is a little more extroverted and easily sparks up conversations. I will get to know other parents at playgrounds or dog parks a little more easily. I find kids and dogs to be good Ice breakers. I also typically will mention to my neighbors to let me know if my dog barks or annoys them as we have been doing some training in the issue. This sign of respect is usually a good ice breaker.
Closed Thread