Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Manufacturer Quality?

Hi new member...currently have a Rockwood ROO 183 and after 3 years are looking to upgrade.

What I want to know/ get feedback on is your thoughts/opinion of various manufacturers quality, service, and warranty support.

We have been happy with Forest River and are considering some of there floor plans for our upgrade. However, my wife fell in love with Keystone Laredo 291tg so we are looking at switching manufactures.

After doing some online research I have found a lot of negative publicity about Keystone and there willingness to back there warranty and offer little help in resolving issues.

What has been yalls experience...

What manufacturers are know for quality...or lack of quality?
Have you owned other units and how they compare to Forest River?
Are some product lines more of an issues within a manufacturers lineup?

The Laredo 291tg has a great floor plan and offers a lot of standard features that seem upscale....but do they cut corners in other places to keep the price point in line with other models?

bama29fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
We are getting ready to trade a Keystone Outback 5er in on a Sandpiper 5er, we have owned the Outback for just under 3 years. We had no MAJOR problems with the Outback and we have loved it and it has been wonderful to us. That said, after the initial walk through and inspection of the Sandpiper, I only found 5 things that needed to be taken care of by our dealer and I do a very, very thorough walk through. Open and close doors and drawers 3 times each, go over every corner with a fine tooth comb, etc. We found a split in the cabinet from the hardware install at the factory, a cabinet door needs adjusted and a couple other small issues. With the Outback I had a legal pad of 1 1/2 sheets of items that had to be corrected. Now, we have not yet taken delivery of our Sandpiper, we are hoping for Friday. Just my .02. Good Luck.

Carey & Theresa & 3 dogs Lucky, Shannon & Coco
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 w/5.9 CTD DrawTite 16K Double Pivot Slider Prodigy Brake Controller
5er 2010 FR Sandpiper 356RL w/Satin interior Signature Package
CTDSandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Site Team
Pandora's Box!

Well, ask 100 people and you'll get 100 opinions on this subject. I think you should find the floorplan that you like. There may be several manufacturers that have a virtually identical floorplan. Then "really look" at the details and materials; spend a lot of time; maybe do a couple of visits. In the excitement of a purchase, it can be easy to overlook differences. Also, are you comfortable with the dealer and dealer location. We have a Forest River Surveyor and it has been great. But I think Keystone, Jayco, etc. have some really nice products too. Pick a manufacturer that you think will survive this downturn. Buy what feels right to you. Any RV is likely to have a few initial issues so get the right dealer and you will be fine. Have fun!!
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
I agree with acadianbob , we decided to make the move from tt to 5er early this year and looked at them in il,mo,ky,tn, and on the internet. What we finally did was buy local because the price was as good as anyone and i can work things out with the owner because living in a small town I know him. All of the campers we looked at had little things we liked or disliked. we ordered our camper so we could get the things we wanted and if it was not avaible we will modify it . hope this helps
jim&di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
We looked at Rockwood but hey lacked the toy hauler portion that we wanted, from a quality standpoint they were great!. If your looking for one try this ebay seller, they had good pricing when we were looking.
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Had a 29' Cedar Creek 5er. Wanted to take motorcycle along, so looked at toy haulers. Wife loved floor plan of Raptor 3602. Bought it-worst mistake I ever made! Delivered with missing table and rear bed. Damage to garage floor. Damage to rear slide out, and rear refrig. Damaged woodwork from assembly. Took it back to dealer in NY, got it back with Mickey Mouse repairs done. Next they came to my house to fix it- took almost 6 mos. to get it done. First trip-A/C leaking into liv. room,floors squeaking, black/gray tanks mislabeled. When at dealer, someone drove into side and damaged skirt. Didn't know it, but shower was leaking every time we used it. Soaked bedroom floor and storage compartment. Now found bedroom slide covered with mold inside wardrobe. Back at dealer, Keystone rep says to send it to factory to replace slide box, always damaged in shipping. Tell him I want Xtended warranty on floor that was water soaked by their poor mfg. i asked for at least 8 years-I'm stuck with it-tells me they will probably do 5 years, has to check with boss. Calls and leaves message (Not even guts to talk to me) 1 year warranty-industry standard. Send tarnsport guy, and I wrote in huge letters on back of rig "Biggest piece of CRAP RV I ever bought ,call for info" Put my cell phone # under that. 2 days later get call from Customer service mgr. He actually is yelling at me on the phone and outright refuses to perform any warranty work they agreed to if I don't let them wash the writing off. After all of this, they agree to replace carpet in storage area with linoleum. Replaced slide out box. Replaced all carpeting in unit. We had our Cedar Creek mattress in (it was an uograde). Keystone says their upgrade matt. isn't as good as ours (his words not mine) and they'll send me $250 to go buy one. Not taking chance that mold spores got in there. Repaired 2 damaged areas that were my fault on back wall. Finally get it back after almost 3 mos. First thing I see is screws on the floor inside door. Lookk up, no Tv and stereo is missing. Wires cut. Morons never locked the door- keys were tied around cabinet door handle. now I have to run around to dealer AGAIN to get this stuff replaced. Think they're paying for fuel??? Think they would have fixed all of that stuff if I wasn't an absolute PITA to them? Never will I own another Keystone product. Sorry for the novel, but they gave me a lot to complasin about.

MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote