Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Mass Turnpike service stations - trailer unfriendly

Been a couple of years since I have travelled in Massachusetts. Many of the gas stations off the I-90 are positioned at 45 degrees to the flow of traffic. I just barely got the trailer out from one service centre after filling up at the pump. I felt so sorry for an elderly couple pulling a small trailer. As all spots were full, they had to wait on the outside lane for an available slot. When the slot was free, another car would whip in front of them. I'm not sure how long they had to wait before getting gas.
With the pumps lined up with the flow of traffic everyone has an equal chance and gas up in order of arriving.
Just can't understand the logic of the 45 degree angled pumps other than to take up less space and cause frustration when the lanes are busy.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #2

It also seems that a majority of stations have gasoline islands that sit at 90 degrees to the building and have very little room between the island and the building. This makes it almost impossible when pulling a large trailer to get gas unless one is on the outside island. Seems this is very RV unfriendly for those of us that have gasoline powered tow vehicles.
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

I could see that being a problem since most gasoline pumps are crowded with a lot of people that don't understand the kind of room to swing a camper into a spot. I have a diesel so usually I try to fill up at truck stops. The turnpike stations also have a dedicated truck area that is nice.

Is there an app that list RV easy access? Maybe a suggestion for Gas Buddy App.
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

I don't know of an app for that. Some of the Flying J truck stops have dedicated RV islands for both gas and diesel. These are nice, but few and far between.
Pullrite Slider Hitch
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #5

I drove the Mass Pike back in June. From NY to Cape Cod. If you follow the signs for Trucks/Trailers, the FAR LEFT pump where the big rigs get their diesel had Unleaded Gasoline.

We hit two service area there, and a different two on the way back. All four were set up the same way.

After we fueled up, I had enough room to pull forward, settle in between a few big rigs, put the slides out and had lunch with the family and used the bathroom.
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #6

Good info. Will definately check that out!!! Thanks.
Pullrite Slider Hitch
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHFire 152 View Post
I drove the Mass Pike back in June. From NY to Cape Cod. If you follow the signs for Trucks/Trailers, the FAR LEFT pump where the big rigs get their diesel had Unleaded Gasoline.

We hit two service area there, and a different two on the way back. All four were set up the same way.

After we fueled up, I had enough room to pull forward, settle in between a few big rigs, put the slides out and had lunch with the family and used the bathroom.
Great and thanks!
Only thought they had diesel.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote