Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
The beauty of Michigan State Parks if you go online is that they ask you the size of your TT or 5'er and only show you what fits on their sites according to the information you feed into it. It eliminates those that your rig won't fit on.
Recreation.gov shows that info as well. My point was that it seems as though, at least in some instances, a much larger rig can easily fit into the site than they are claiming.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #12

Our experience is you don't really know without seeing the site. Last 2 times at COE site on West Point Lake, GA, we stayed in 28' site w/38' 5er. We hung off the back (which can't always be done, due to trees, etc) which helped stay on the 28' concrete pad. We had our long bed double cab truck parked in front and 2 visitor cars in front of that. Often, when traveling, we drive thru campgrounds and make notes.

PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Another reason for length limits has to do with the roads, both leading into the CG and navigating around. I think there is a video out there of a 5th wheel jammed into a tight right hand corner because the driver didn't heed a very obvious sign.

I've seen that video- I actually think he could have easily made that turn had he known how to drive and swung way out wide. I seem to recall that he had already drug the A/C off on a bridge just before that- but it's been a while, so maybe I'm remembering wrong. This particular campsite I was referring to has sites up to 40+', so it's not a campsite access issue.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaE View Post
Our experience is you don't really know without seeing the site. Last 2 times at COE site on West Point Lake, GA, we stayed in 28' site w/38' 5er. We hung off the back (which can't always be done, due to trees, etc) which helped stay on the 28' concrete pad. We had our long bed double cab truck parked in front and 2 visitor cars in front of that. Often, when traveling, we drive thru campgrounds and make notes.
B/T/W, couldn't enter actual trailer length if trying to reserve. Park Ranger told me that if I was sure I would fit, enter 28' for length; however, if I did not fit and there were no other sites available... I was just out of luck.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

I use the website campsitephotos.com to check out the sites. This is the link for Moraine Park Moraine Park Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews . It looks like this will give you an idea about hanging the end of the RV over the rear curb. Also, be aware of the first dates when you can make reservations and do it then. We camp on the Oregon Coast in the State Parks and make reservations 9 months in advance. The State Parks in Colorado allow you to make reservations 6 months in advance.
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Sometimes the campsite length is no problem but getting there is. There is a campground named Canyon Lake east of Apache Junction Az. They offer oversized Rv sites but the road getting down into the valley ( named Apache Trail) is a test of drivers skills. I towed our 35' TT down and back up from there as a newbie a couple of years ago and it was white nuckle all the way. In addition to 160 degree hairpin turns and steep drop offs 4' from the pavement, we came within 1' of solid rock walls with the back side of the TT.
When we pulled out from camping a week later and got out of the canyon there was a big sigh of relief from the whole family. Of course on our way out I took my half of the road out of the middle and all the nice people coming the other direction pulled over.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:10 AM   #17

Thanks for Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
I use the website campsitephotos.com to check out the sites. This is the link for Moraine Park Moraine Park Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews . It looks like this will give you an idea about hanging the end of the RV over the rear curb. Also, be aware of the first dates when you can make reservations and do it then. We camp on the Oregon Coast in the State Parks and make reservations 9 months in advance. The State Parks in Colorado allow you to make reservations 6 months in advance.
Thanks for link to campsitephotos.com . Great site
Old 02-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #18

As has been stated there is no standard for space and you can not assume that you have extra space. The largest campground on the east coast gives you the size of their sites (ie 36' x 32', 40' x 35' etc) and if any obstructions are there ie palm tree, park power / park cable pedestal or box.....also give the distance from the beach ....... If you assume a larger rig would fit you will be in the road and will have to move and hoping the have another space to move to. .

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #19

A few years ago, when we had the 35' 5er, we booked a site in Acadia National Park. The site said we would fit. When we pulled up to the office DH asked again about the length, she said we would be all right. Got to the site, DH says, "you have a choice, do you want the slide out - out - or would you like the awning out, you can't have both!!" It's not the length, it's the TREES!

Then a few days later we watched a big MH go down the road and as he tried to make the left turn he was to close to a tree, and that tree "shaved" his awning right off It was awful!!

So DH & I both said - we will never camp inside a National Park again, those campgrounds are for the old days of tents & pop ups!! (now we have a 40' with 3 slides). Find a nice campground on the outside and then drive in to visit.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #20

With National Parks campgrounds you never know about the what size you can get in. I have been told by the people you call in to make the reservation for at Yellowstone that your camper won't fit and then get there and talk to the Rangers and find out it will. We have a favorite spot we like to camp at the beach, it has no sewer but it is a super spot, you get to look right across the water. But it will only take a 35ft camper, it stays full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote