Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Maximum Length campsite restrictions...

Curious if anyone knows how federal parks determine their "maximum length" numbers. For example, when looking at campsites at Moraine Park in Colorado they have a site listed as a max of 15'. One of the pics shows a 1 ton dually x-cab LWB with a truck camper on it. That thing was probably all of 24' including the camper overhang off the back. It fit fine in that site with the rear of the rig at the curb. A trailer could have easily backed the rear tires to that point with the rear portion overhanging. I don't think I'd have had any trouble putting a 30 footer in that site. There are sites as large as 40'+ in this camp area, so it's not a camp area access issue. Another site is listed as 20' max and the pic shows a Class C that is every bit of 25' sitting in it WITH a car in front at only a slight angle. I could easily park my 35' B to B TT in that site. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe they are measuring from the curb to the road and then allowing 10' or so clearance???? Problem I'm running into is that there are 48 sites, but it narrows as follows: 20'=37, 25'=25, 30'=21, 35'=13. So, according to the site, I could only fit into 13 sites- and guess which ones book first and stay booked. Yet, when looking at the pictures, I see no reason I'd have any trouble getting into the bulk of sites they list as 25' max, almost doubling the options. Anyone have any extensive experience in federal parks that can give some advice? Would hate to book a site and find I can't fit, but would also hate to miss an opportunity to camp in a great area if the sites are extremely conservative and we could actually fit.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I ran into this all the time when I had my truck and 5er. If in doubt, I always called the campground and asked what sites they have available that I would fit. They usually know the limitations better than they put on the website.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

There are NO standards on L or W for Campsites,State/Fed/or Private! Most C/G is a Crap Shoot,when making Res.you talk to a Machine or a Person that Knows Less than the Machine! The C/G Really need to come up with a Real way to inform size of Sites including Height as well as TREE limbs!and that would have to be Updated as the Trees Grow! Youroo!!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

Good point on Tree Limbs. I refused a site and moved. Two days later a storm came through and the said tree was thru the middle of a rounded aluminium TT just behind the main man door. They bailed out the emergency window.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #5

we stayed in Moraine park last year and it was only based on Trailer length. This year we are heading to Yellowstone, their Reservable campsites are measured Truck Bumper to Trailer bumper when hitched.

So you have to ask
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

In Yellowstone Madison and Canyon campgrounds have a 50ft limit, from front bumper of truck to back bumper of camper hooked up. Plus if you are like 30ft or longer then you must have reserved a 35 or 40 ft spot, there is not a lot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

Another thread on length restrictions

I started a similar thread, which is still active, at "Oversize" motorhome in a camping site
People have posted useful information that users of this thread may find useful.

–Gordon Sick
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Canadian Member

KOAs up here tend to be pretty generous for their site sizes. I just book a site with 50A service where available so I know it will be plenty long enough.

Provincial Parks in Ontario, on the other hand, can be tricky since the site sizes are probably based on the trailer length and don't necessarily account for parking your TV. Usually the more difficult part is navigating the narrow winding roads the sites front onto and then somebody is parked on the edge of the road which reduces your ability to swing the front of your TV the way you want to avoid that big tree while backing into the site.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Curious if anyone knows how federal parks determine their "maximum length" numbers. For example, when looking at campsites at Moraine Park in Colorado they have a site listed as a max of 15'. One of the pics shows a 1 ton dually x-cab LWB with a truck camper on it. That thing was probably all of 24' including the camper overhang off the back. It fit fine in that site with the rear of the rig at the curb. A trailer could have easily backed the rear tires to that point with the rear portion overhanging. I don't think I'd have had any trouble putting a 30 footer in that site. There are sites as large as 40'+ in this camp area, so it's not a camp area access issue. Another site is listed as 20' max and the pic shows a Class C that is every bit of 25' sitting in it WITH a car in front at only a slight angle. I could easily park my 35' B to B TT in that site. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe they are measuring from the curb to the road and then allowing 10' or so clearance???? Problem I'm running into is that there are 48 sites, but it narrows as follows: 20'=37, 25'=25, 30'=21, 35'=13. So, according to the site, I could only fit into 13 sites- and guess which ones book first and stay booked. Yet, when looking at the pictures, I see no reason I'd have any trouble getting into the bulk of sites they list as 25' max, almost doubling the options. Anyone have any extensive experience in federal parks that can give some advice? Would hate to book a site and find I can't fit, but would also hate to miss an opportunity to camp in a great area if the sites are extremely conservative and we could actually fit.
The beauty of Michigan State Parks if you go online is that they ask you the size of your TT or 5'er and only show you what fits on their sites according to the information you feed into it. It eliminates those that your rig won't fit on.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

limitation

Another reason for length limits has to do with the roads, both leading into the CG and navigating around. I think there is a video out there of a 5th wheel jammed into a tight right hand corner because the driver didn't heed a very obvious sign.
There is a campground up at Campbell Lake in south central Oregon that has a 23 ft limit. the roads are fine, but those are some really short sites.