Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Maximum Length campsite restrictions...

Curious if anyone knows how federal parks determine their "maximum length" numbers. For example, when looking at campsites at Moraine Park in Colorado they have a site listed as a max of 15'. One of the pics shows a 1 ton dually x-cab LWB with a truck camper on it. That thing was probably all of 24' including the camper overhang off the back. It fit fine in that site with the rear of the rig at the curb. A trailer could have easily backed the rear tires to that point with the rear portion overhanging. I don't think I'd have had any trouble putting a 30 footer in that site. There are sites as large as 40'+ in this camp area, so it's not a camp area access issue. Another site is listed as 20' max and the pic shows a Class C that is every bit of 25' sitting in it WITH a car in front at only a slight angle. I could easily park my 35' B to B TT in that site. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe they are measuring from the curb to the road and then allowing 10' or so clearance???? Problem I'm running into is that there are 48 sites, but it narrows as follows: 20'=37, 25'=25, 30'=21, 35'=13. So, according to the site, I could only fit into 13 sites- and guess which ones book first and stay booked. Yet, when looking at the pictures, I see no reason I'd have any trouble getting into the bulk of sites they list as 25' max, almost doubling the options. Anyone have any extensive experience in federal parks that can give some advice? Would hate to book a site and find I can't fit, but would also hate to miss an opportunity to camp in a great area if the sites are extremely conservative and we could actually fit.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I ran into this all the time when I had my truck and 5er. If in doubt, I always called the campground and asked what sites they have available that I would fit. They usually know the limitations better than they put on the website.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

There are NO standards on L or W for Campsites,State/Fed/or Private! Most C/G is a Crap Shoot,when making Res.you talk to a Machine or a Person that Knows Less than the Machine! The C/G Really need to come up with a Real way to inform size of Sites including Height as well as TREE limbs!and that would have to be Updated as the Trees Grow! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Good point on Tree Limbs. I refused a site and moved. Two days later a storm came through and the said tree was thru the middle of a rounded aluminium TT just behind the main man door. They bailed out the emergency window.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #5

we stayed in Moraine park last year and it was only based on Trailer length. This year we are heading to Yellowstone, their Reservable campsites are measured Truck Bumper to Trailer bumper when hitched.

So you have to ask
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

In Yellowstone Madison and Canyon campgrounds have a 50ft limit, from front bumper of truck to back bumper of camper hooked up. Plus if you are like 30ft or longer then you must have reserved a 35 or 40 ft spot, there is not a lot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

Another thread on length restrictions

I started a similar thread, which is still active, at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...te-100427.html
People have posted useful information that users of this thread may find useful.

–Gordon Sick
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Canadian Member

KOAs up here tend to be pretty generous for their site sizes. I just book a site with 50A service where available so I know it will be plenty long enough.

Provincial Parks in Ontario, on the other hand, can be tricky since the site sizes are probably based on the trailer length and don't necessarily account for parking your TV. Usually the more difficult part is navigating the narrow winding roads the sites front onto and then somebody is parked on the edge of the road which reduces your ability to swing the front of your TV the way you want to avoid that big tree while backing into the site.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Curious if anyone knows how federal parks determine their "maximum length" numbers. For example, when looking at campsites at Moraine Park in Colorado they have a site listed as a max of 15'. One of the pics shows a 1 ton dually x-cab LWB with a truck camper on it. That thing was probably all of 24' including the camper overhang off the back. It fit fine in that site with the rear of the rig at the curb. A trailer could have easily backed the rear tires to that point with the rear portion overhanging. I don't think I'd have had any trouble putting a 30 footer in that site. There are sites as large as 40'+ in this camp area, so it's not a camp area access issue. Another site is listed as 20' max and the pic shows a Class C that is every bit of 25' sitting in it WITH a car in front at only a slight angle. I could easily park my 35' B to B TT in that site. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe they are measuring from the curb to the road and then allowing 10' or so clearance???? Problem I'm running into is that there are 48 sites, but it narrows as follows: 20'=37, 25'=25, 30'=21, 35'=13. So, according to the site, I could only fit into 13 sites- and guess which ones book first and stay booked. Yet, when looking at the pictures, I see no reason I'd have any trouble getting into the bulk of sites they list as 25' max, almost doubling the options. Anyone have any extensive experience in federal parks that can give some advice? Would hate to book a site and find I can't fit, but would also hate to miss an opportunity to camp in a great area if the sites are extremely conservative and we could actually fit.
The beauty of Michigan State Parks if you go online is that they ask you the size of your TT or 5'er and only show you what fits on their sites according to the information you feed into it. It eliminates those that your rig won't fit on.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

limitation

Another reason for length limits has to do with the roads, both leading into the CG and navigating around. I think there is a video out there of a 5th wheel jammed into a tight right hand corner because the driver didn't heed a very obvious sign.
There is a campground up at Campbell Lake in south central Oregon that has a 23 ft limit. the roads are fine, but those are some really short sites.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
The beauty of Michigan State Parks if you go online is that they ask you the size of your TT or 5'er and only show you what fits on their sites according to the information you feed into it. It eliminates those that your rig won't fit on.
Recreation.gov shows that info as well. My point was that it seems as though, at least in some instances, a much larger rig can easily fit into the site than they are claiming.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #12

Our experience is you don't really know without seeing the site. Last 2 times at COE site on West Point Lake, GA, we stayed in 28' site w/38' 5er. We hung off the back (which can't always be done, due to trees, etc) which helped stay on the 28' concrete pad. We had our long bed double cab truck parked in front and 2 visitor cars in front of that. Often, when traveling, we drive thru campgrounds and make notes.
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Another reason for length limits has to do with the roads, both leading into the CG and navigating around. I think there is a video out there of a 5th wheel jammed into a tight right hand corner because the driver didn't heed a very obvious sign.

I've seen that video- I actually think he could have easily made that turn had he known how to drive and swung way out wide. I seem to recall that he had already drug the A/C off on a bridge just before that- but it's been a while, so maybe I'm remembering wrong. This particular campsite I was referring to has sites up to 40+', so it's not a campsite access issue.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaE View Post
Our experience is you don't really know without seeing the site. Last 2 times at COE site on West Point Lake, GA, we stayed in 28' site w/38' 5er. We hung off the back (which can't always be done, due to trees, etc) which helped stay on the 28' concrete pad. We had our long bed double cab truck parked in front and 2 visitor cars in front of that. Often, when traveling, we drive thru campgrounds and make notes.
B/T/W, couldn't enter actual trailer length if trying to reserve. Park Ranger told me that if I was sure I would fit, enter 28' for length; however, if I did not fit and there were no other sites available... I was just out of luck.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

I use the website campsitephotos.com to check out the sites. This is the link for Moraine Park Moraine Park Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews . It looks like this will give you an idea about hanging the end of the RV over the rear curb. Also, be aware of the first dates when you can make reservations and do it then. We camp on the Oregon Coast in the State Parks and make reservations 9 months in advance. The State Parks in Colorado allow you to make reservations 6 months in advance.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Sometimes the campsite length is no problem but getting there is. There is a campground named Canyon Lake east of Apache Junction Az. They offer oversized Rv sites but the road getting down into the valley ( named Apache Trail) is a test of drivers skills. I towed our 35' TT down and back up from there as a newbie a couple of years ago and it was white nuckle all the way. In addition to 160 degree hairpin turns and steep drop offs 4' from the pavement, we came within 1' of solid rock walls with the back side of the TT.
When we pulled out from camping a week later and got out of the canyon there was a big sigh of relief from the whole family. Of course on our way out I took my half of the road out of the middle and all the nice people coming the other direction pulled over.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:10 AM   #17

Thanks for Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
I use the website campsitephotos.com to check out the sites. This is the link for Moraine Park Moraine Park Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews . It looks like this will give you an idea about hanging the end of the RV over the rear curb. Also, be aware of the first dates when you can make reservations and do it then. We camp on the Oregon Coast in the State Parks and make reservations 9 months in advance. The State Parks in Colorado allow you to make reservations 6 months in advance.
Thanks for link to campsitephotos.com . Great site
Old 02-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #18

As has been stated there is no standard for space and you can not assume that you have extra space. The largest campground on the east coast gives you the size of their sites (ie 36' x 32', 40' x 35' etc) and if any obstructions are there ie palm tree, park power / park cable pedestal or box.....also give the distance from the beach ....... If you assume a larger rig would fit you will be in the road and will have to move and hoping the have another space to move to. .

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #19

A few years ago, when we had the 35' 5er, we booked a site in Acadia National Park. The site said we would fit. When we pulled up to the office DH asked again about the length, she said we would be all right. Got to the site, DH says, "you have a choice, do you want the slide out - out - or would you like the awning out, you can't have both!!" It's not the length, it's the TREES!

Then a few days later we watched a big MH go down the road and as he tried to make the left turn he was to close to a tree, and that tree "shaved" his awning right off It was awful!!

So DH & I both said - we will never camp inside a National Park again, those campgrounds are for the old days of tents & pop ups!! (now we have a 40' with 3 slides). Find a nice campground on the outside and then drive in to visit.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #20

With National Parks campgrounds you never know about the what size you can get in. I have been told by the people you call in to make the reservation for at Yellowstone that your camper won't fit and then get there and talk to the Rangers and find out it will. We have a favorite spot we like to camp at the beach, it has no sewer but it is a super spot, you get to look right across the water. But it will only take a 35ft camper, it stays full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote