Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Maxxis Tires

Well I used to be a GY Marathon Man all the way, but after 3 years of buying new 225/75/ R15 to replace my Trail Express C rated I had 2 belts just brake and caused many problems. I defended that brand till I was blue in the face, but not no more. I had to replace my tires with Maxxis this time. Same size "D" rated 65 PSI. My question and I hope someone can answer is that Maxxis is calling these "HIGH SPEED ST" I asked the dealer and also tried to fine the speed rateing, the dealer couldn't and also there is nothing on Maxxis web site. I was always told max speed for a ST is 65 miles per hour, so what does High Speed mean? Thanks for your help... The new tires are Maxxis 8008 D rated. 8 ply

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Well I used to be a GY Marathon Man all the way, but after 3 years of buying new 225/75/ R15 to replace my Trail Express C rated I had 2 belts just brake and caused many problems. I defended that brand till I was blue in the face, but not no more. I had to replace my tires with Maxxis this time. Same size "D" rated 65 PSI. My question and I hope someone can answer is that Maxxis is calling these "HIGH SPEED ST" I asked the dealer and also tried to fine the speed rateing, the dealer couldn't and also there is nothing on Maxxis web site. I was always told max speed for a ST is 65 miles per hour, so what does High Speed mean? Thanks for your help... The new tires are Maxxis 8008 D rated. 8 ply
Tire Tech Information - Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
Yes I knew all that, but the new Maxxis say and I quote " ST High Speed Rated" Parish Tire in Mayberry said that is new to this brand. Thanks anyway

Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Always Learning

It's my understanding that recently there was a change to the rules surrounding the ST speed designation - it increased from 65mph.

My *guess* is that these "ST High Speed Rated" tires are the newer variety. However, I thought that they had to actually be stamped with an increased speed rating- not just "called" something new.

Have you contacted Maxxis about it?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's my understanding that recently there was a change to the rules surrounding the ST speed designation - it increased from 65mph.

My *guess* is that these "ST High Speed Rated" tires are the newer variety. However, I thought that they had to actually be stamped with an increased speed rating- not just "called" something new.

Have you contacted Maxxis about it?

Yes for an ST tire to have higher than 65 mph rating the "Speed Symbol" letter must be molded on both sides of the tire. If a tire dealer doesn't know this then he really is just an "order taker" and might as well be working the counter at a fast food place.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:

Yup but this only applies to GY and TowMax as they are the only companies to put that info in writing. Anything else is just hearsay.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

All ST tires regardless of brand still have to meet industry standards. All the other stuff is just hype to sell something as new when it is the same old stuff.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes for an ST tire to have higher than 65 mph rating the "Speed Symbol" letter must be molded on both sides of the tire. If a tire dealer doesn't know this then he really is just an "order taker" and might as well be working the counter at a fast food place.
Well there is a speed symbol molded if that's it on them according to what I found. IF they are rated "R" (not the R in the 75/R15) which Maxxis says is max speed 106 MPH. How could that be true? I have a call into the Georgia head quarters now to find out. Also it gives that rating for the tire on Amazon also. I guess I will find out, same tire I have but under info it gives the code for speed on Amazon. I let you know what Maxxis says.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Why not just take pictures of all the writing on the sides so the uninformed masses know what you are talking about?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

We have had Maxxis ST 8008 on two different 5thwheels .The Heartland went two sets and traveled nationwide w/ NO BLOWOUTS. Our DD and family has 36 ' Keystone TT running Maxxis ST 8008 for three years so far w/ NO BLOWOUTS. Just the facts .
Old 06-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Why not just take pictures of all the writing on the sides so the uninformed masses know what you are talking about?
You could just look up the tire on Amazon if your interested, and then look up Max's speed rating chart by letter. Can't be any plainer then that and the picture is much much better then I tried to take. Like I said It's the same tire and I have a call into maxxis don't see what hard to see about that it's pretty easy but I can't see Amazon putting false info on there site, without potential law suits. I will see what Maxxis says. There is a conflict on the Amazon site. The same question was asked under Amazon.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Don't know the concern, you say you never tow over 65mph anyway.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
He knew that, but couldn't fine anywhere what the rating was in writing. He checked on the web and couldn't find the info. They had to travel and pick them up for me from Mayberry to Winston Salem, they didn't stock the high speed maxxis ST. We will see what the factory in Georgia says when they get back to me. They took very good care of me and was completely honest in there answer. He also said they where new. Interesting that Amazon is the only place that gives the code for speed rating...

Old 06-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #14

Maxxis Corporation just got back to me they said that they can only tell me that they are safe at any rated highway speed by law. They also said they do not rate the ST tire for speed rating. I asked about the Amazon speed rating of 106 MPH she said I do not know where Amazon is getting there tires, but Maxxis will say they are safe at any posted speed limit in the USA. They will not commit to any recommended speed limit. She said if the speed limit is 65 they are good if it is 75 they are still good. They just will not commit. She also said it's not required by law to produce a max speed for there tire. Still confused maybe Tireman9 can make sense of it. I thought that every DOT tire had to have max limit that you can travel at a constant speed. I guess not according to Maxxis Corporate office in Georgia.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #15

I think whoever called you should run for a political office with a answer like that Maybe Trumps running mate
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I think whoever called you should run for a political office with a answer like that Maybe Trumps running mate
Ha, this is true, all they list legally is the load at the PSI each tire can handle. So you got me, Have another call into the factory not the consumer's line.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #17

I was curious, I knew my Maxxis tires had a higher speed rating I was fairly certain it was not "R".
There might be an industry standard, but does not say it cannot be exceeded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464812515052.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	109802  

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I was curious, I knew my Maxxis tires had a higher speed rating I was fairly certain it was not "R".
There might be an industry standard, but does not say it cannot be exceeded.
That is were the conflict comes in now Amazon rated them as "R" for speed that says 106 mph on there chart, then when you go down farther it has a chart that will say 65 mph. as she said that is what they have to show by law. I would think that the tireman9 would be able to make a call and find this out for us. Now who would go 106 mph's with a trailer. The load cap. is still higher then those Marathons I took off. Every place I read they are the best trailer tire out there. Granted that's not saying much.... But with 3 broken belts in 3 1/2 years, never hit a curb or over loaded and kept at 65 PSI they shouldn't have broken the belts in 3 tires. I thought Marathons were good, but I guess you just have to be lucky... Also my weight per tire loaded is like 1740 lbs.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Maxxis Corporation just got back to me they said that they can only tell me that they are safe at any rated highway speed by law. They also said they do not rate the ST tire for speed rating. I asked about the Amazon speed rating of 106 MPH she said I do not know where Amazon is getting there tires, but Maxxis will say they are safe at any posted speed limit in the USA. They will not commit to any recommended speed limit. She said if the speed limit is 65 they are good if it is 75 they are still good. They just will not commit. She also said it's not required by law to produce a max speed for there tire. Still confused maybe Tireman9 can make sense of it. I thought that every DOT tire had to have max limit that you can travel at a constant speed. I guess not according to Maxxis Corporate office in Georgia.
Places in Montana, there is no upper speed limit..............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #20

anything above 80 MPH is a waste for me...fast as the ole Dodge will go...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires