Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Maxxis Tires

Well I used to be a GY Marathon Man all the way, but after 3 years of buying new 225/75/ R15 to replace my Trail Express C rated I had 2 belts just brake and caused many problems. I defended that brand till I was blue in the face, but not no more. I had to replace my tires with Maxxis this time. Same size "D" rated 65 PSI. My question and I hope someone can answer is that Maxxis is calling these "HIGH SPEED ST" I asked the dealer and also tried to fine the speed rateing, the dealer couldn't and also there is nothing on Maxxis web site. I was always told max speed for a ST is 65 miles per hour, so what does High Speed mean? Thanks for your help... The new tires are Maxxis 8008 D rated. 8 ply

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Well I used to be a GY Marathon Man all the way, but after 3 years of buying new 225/75/ R15 to replace my Trail Express C rated I had 2 belts just brake and caused many problems. I defended that brand till I was blue in the face, but not no more. I had to replace my tires with Maxxis this time. Same size "D" rated 65 PSI. My question and I hope someone can answer is that Maxxis is calling these "HIGH SPEED ST" I asked the dealer and also tried to fine the speed rateing, the dealer couldn't and also there is nothing on Maxxis web site. I was always told max speed for a ST is 65 miles per hour, so what does High Speed mean? Thanks for your help... The new tires are Maxxis 8008 D rated. 8 ply
Tire Tech Information - Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
Yes I knew all that, but the new Maxxis say and I quote " ST High Speed Rated" Parish Tire in Mayberry said that is new to this brand. Thanks anyway
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 06-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

It's my understanding that recently there was a change to the rules surrounding the ST speed designation - it increased from 65mph.

My *guess* is that these "ST High Speed Rated" tires are the newer variety. However, I thought that they had to actually be stamped with an increased speed rating- not just "called" something new.

Have you contacted Maxxis about it?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's my understanding that recently there was a change to the rules surrounding the ST speed designation - it increased from 65mph.

My *guess* is that these "ST High Speed Rated" tires are the newer variety. However, I thought that they had to actually be stamped with an increased speed rating- not just "called" something new.

Have you contacted Maxxis about it?

Yes for an ST tire to have higher than 65 mph rating the "Speed Symbol" letter must be molded on both sides of the tire. If a tire dealer doesn't know this then he really is just an "order taker" and might as well be working the counter at a fast food place.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Yup but this only applies to GY and TowMax as they are the only companies to put that info in writing. Anything else is just hearsay.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

All ST tires regardless of brand still have to meet industry standards. All the other stuff is just hype to sell something as new when it is the same old stuff.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes for an ST tire to have higher than 65 mph rating the "Speed Symbol" letter must be molded on both sides of the tire. If a tire dealer doesn't know this then he really is just an "order taker" and might as well be working the counter at a fast food place.
Well there is a speed symbol molded if that's it on them according to what I found. IF they are rated "R" (not the R in the 75/R15) which Maxxis says is max speed 106 MPH. How could that be true? I have a call into the Georgia head quarters now to find out. Also it gives that rating for the tire on Amazon also. I guess I will find out, same tire I have but under info it gives the code for speed on Amazon. I let you know what Maxxis says.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 06-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Why not just take pictures of all the writing on the sides so the uninformed masses know what you are talking about?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #10

We have had Maxxis ST 8008 on two different 5thwheels .The Heartland went two sets and traveled nationwide w/ NO BLOWOUTS. Our DD and family has 36 ' Keystone TT running Maxxis ST 8008 for three years so far w/ NO BLOWOUTS. Just the facts .

Tags
tire, tires