Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Measuring Propane Level

Hi. I have two questions about propane usage in my new RV:

1. How do you know how much propane is left in the tanks? At home, with my grill, there is a meter that tells me how much is in the tank. But with the tanks mounted in the front of my TT, how can I tell how much is left?

2. Refrigerator - does running it on propane use a lot of propane. I moved my TT a few days ago down the block which meant disconnecting the AC cable. Then, just this morning I got to thinking that the refrigerator is still on which means it's running on propane for the last 1.5 days. How heavy is the usage for the refrigerator?

I have two standard size propane tanks on the Flagstaff E-Pro E16BH TT.

Thanks all ........... Rob
robbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #2

Accurately, weight each tank, take scale weight minus tare weight (TW) on the tank and the result is how much propane is left. Refrigerator will not use a lot of gas.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Measuring Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbecky View Post

1. How do you know how much propane is left in the tanks? At home, with my grill, there is a meter that tells me how much is in the tank. But with the tanks mounted in the front of my TT, how can I tell how much is left?

2. Refrigerator - does running it on propane use a lot of propane. I moved my TT a few days ago down the block which meant disconnecting the AC cable. Then, just this morning I got to thinking that the refrigerator is still on which means it's running on propane for the last 1.5 days. How heavy is the usage for the refrigerator?

Propane use by the fridge is minuscule. Last year we had to have our motor home towed to a repair facility where it sat for three weeks. Consumption was so minor that I could not see any change by the gauge.

In your situation if not hooked up, I would be more concerned about the battery state of charge. The fridge controls require 12vdc to operate.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Battery not too much of a concern since I have a solar panel on the roof.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #5

I have found this Dometic gauge to be very accurate: Dometic LPGC10 LP Gas Checker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q7379X0..._yCX5Bb0RTBY56

I was lucky enough to find it on clearance at Tractor Supply a few years ago.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

You may also already have a gauge built in near the regulator that changes from green to red.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

I do but does that just tell me when it's empty or can it be interpreted to give me a level?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:

I brought a sensor that goes on the bottom of the tank then you can Bluetooth to your phone that tells you how much propane you have in the tank. It’s called Mopeka.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #9

The Mopeka looks awesome. I just ordered it for both of my tanks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #10

I've seen two different styles of gauges that are built in.

One is a float at the top that changes from green to red.

On my Avenger the gauge is two pie shaped windows that look kind of like a bow tie that gradually change from green to red.

Both types seem to change gradually, but I still use the Dometic gauge as it allows me to visualize more accurately the propane level. If the tank is getting low in the evening I'll switch to the full tank so it doesn't run out during the night and then switch it back in the morning.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #11

I use the old fashioned method. Wait until indicator tells me that regulator has changed from empty tank to full one. No gauges to fuss with.

After the tank switches I just pull over to the propane fill station next time I purchase gas. I have two 30# tanks and even with the furnace running at night and early on chilly mornings I use about one tank per month during spring, summer, and early fall. During cold months I might use more, depending on how cold it gets where I land for a week or so. I carry two 20# tanks as both spare's for the TT and to run the Generator if I anticipate a long run (boondocking during winter with no nearby campers). A 20# tank will run my Champion dual fuel Inverter for approximately 15 hours while under same load it only runs 7 hours on gasoline. Propane for Overnight, gasoline during daytime if ever necessary.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #12

It sounds like you have empty tank sensor. It is green when it senses propane in the indicated tank. It will auto switch to the other tank when it is empty and the indicator will be red. You should switch the indicator to the new tank and it should turn green. Disconnect the empty tank and fill. Replace the tank and wait for the indicator to turn red. No gauges needed!

I agree with Titan, propane use on the fridge is very low.
Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #13

I use the Mopeka. Works very well. Only issue is that once the tank goes empty, it reads that the tank has a lot of propane in it. I called the manufacturer and that is a normal occurrence since there is no liquid left to reflect the sound waves.

As temperature changes, the sensor reads different levels but something I can live with.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #14

I really like my Mopeka system. And they’re a great company that stands by their products. I had a sensor go bad (the magnets remained on the tank when I changed the battery), and they took care of it. FYI, my port tank was 100% yesterday at 50 degrees, just now at 32 degrees it’s showing 95%. No problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	191185
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieHunter View Post
Accurately, weight each tank, take scale weight minus tare weight (TW) on the tank and the result is how much propane is left. Refrigerator will not use a lot of gas.

Weighing the cylinders is the most foolproof and accurate method, but it can require you to remove the cylinders to accomplish. It's explained in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

Quote:
I do but does that just tell me when it's empty or can it be interpreted to give me a level?

The auto changeover regulator (and gauge) is explained here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-146655.html

If you do not want to invest in any type of sensor etc, or remove the cylinders- you can also just take hot water and pour down the side of the cylinder and feel with your hand as to where the propane level is. However this method may work on cylinders mounted on the tongue, but may not be practical for cylinders mounted in a compartment.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #16
RCW

I just pour a bucket of hot water on the tank. Then use my hand to feel where the tank is still cool.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #17

My method us simplistic. I open the valve on only one tank and use it until empty. I then turn it off, turn on the valve on the other tank, and use it. I used so little propane it is not inconvenient to manually switch. I don't like the idea that with an autoswitch regulator you have both tanks open. If you have a leak, or fail to realize the changeover occurred, you can be completely out before you realize it. I had an automatic regulator but changed back to manual. To each his own.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
My method us simplistic. I open the valve on only one tank and use it until empty. I then turn it off, turn on the valve on the other tank, and use it. I used so little propane it is not inconvenient to manually switch. I don't like the idea that with an autoswitch regulator you have both tanks open. If you have a leak, or fail to realize the changeover occurred, you can be completely out before you realize it. I had an automatic regulator but changed back to manual. To each his own.
Really no need to change Regulator from Auto to Manual,just turn Off 1 tank! We use our unit in the Early Spring and Fall so Furnace is used to Pre Heat, then Elect Heater! Refer is on Auto so travel time is using propane. Very seldom do we use the propane side of the WH,it stays warm while traveling,then we are on Elect again! We have 2 30# tanks and have "NEVER" had to turn on the 2nd Tank! Youroo!!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #19

We put the Mopeka sensors on our tanks when we bought our fifth wheel. One for each tank. Neither of them has ever been accurate. Now I just wait until one tank goes empty and switches to the other. Then I get the empty one filled.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
We put the Mopeka sensors on our tanks when we bought our fifth wheel. One for each tank. Neither of them has ever been accurate. Now I just wait until one tank goes empty and switches to the other. Then I get the empty one filled.

That’s what I do. My seniors worked pretty good when I first got them. But now they don’t work at all. On one the rubber came off and it’s been over a year since it worked. I brought some rubber tank feet for my lp tanks and they work great
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote