Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Measuring Propane Level

Hi. I have two questions about propane usage in my new RV:

1. How do you know how much propane is left in the tanks? At home, with my grill, there is a meter that tells me how much is in the tank. But with the tanks mounted in the front of my TT, how can I tell how much is left?

2. Refrigerator - does running it on propane use a lot of propane. I moved my TT a few days ago down the block which meant disconnecting the AC cable. Then, just this morning I got to thinking that the refrigerator is still on which means it's running on propane for the last 1.5 days. How heavy is the usage for the refrigerator?

I have two standard size propane tanks on the Flagstaff E-Pro E16BH TT.

Thanks all ........... Rob

robbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #2

Accurately, weight each tank, take scale weight minus tare weight (TW) on the tank and the result is how much propane is left. Refrigerator will not use a lot of gas.

BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Measuring Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbecky View Post

1. How do you know how much propane is left in the tanks? At home, with my grill, there is a meter that tells me how much is in the tank. But with the tanks mounted in the front of my TT, how can I tell how much is left?

2. Refrigerator - does running it on propane use a lot of propane. I moved my TT a few days ago down the block which meant disconnecting the AC cable. Then, just this morning I got to thinking that the refrigerator is still on which means it's running on propane for the last 1.5 days. How heavy is the usage for the refrigerator?

Propane use by the fridge is minuscule. Last year we had to have our motor home towed to a repair facility where it sat for three weeks. Consumption was so minor that I could not see any change by the gauge.

In your situation if not hooked up, I would be more concerned about the battery state of charge. The fridge controls require 12vdc to operate.
xgarys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Battery not too much of a concern since I have a solar panel on the roof.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #5

I have found this Dometic gauge to be very accurate: Dometic LPGC10 LP Gas Checker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q7379X0..._yCX5Bb0RTBY56

I was lucky enough to find it on clearance at Tractor Supply a few years ago.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

You may also already have a gauge built in near the regulator that changes from green to red.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

I do but does that just tell me when it's empty or can it be interpreted to give me a level?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbecky View Post

I brought a sensor that goes on the bottom of the tank then you can Bluetooth to your phone that tells you how much propane you have in the tank. Itís called Mopeka.
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #9

The Mopeka looks awesome. I just ordered it for both of my tanks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #10

I've seen two different styles of gauges that are built in.

One is a float at the top that changes from green to red.

On my Avenger the gauge is two pie shaped windows that look kind of like a bow tie that gradually change from green to red.

Both types seem to change gradually, but I still use the Dometic gauge as it allows me to visualize more accurately the propane level. If the tank is getting low in the evening I'll switch to the full tank so it doesn't run out during the night and then switch it back in the morning.