Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #1

Metal detectors

Does anyone hunt for treasure while their on the road? I was thinking of purchasing a metal detector but I thought I'd ask the larger crowd. :-)

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wouldn't it be safer to hunt to hunt in the campground? Out on the road you need to dodge all those cars.

No, I haven't seen anybody using metal detectors anywhere that I've been. But I have seen lots of geocachers (Dad included).
Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

I have been MDing for 30 years. I take my MDs everywhere. There are some things you need to know from an experienced MDer. 1. Permission, permission, permission. Every property is owned by someone. Get permission (preferrably in writing) from the OWNER! 2. Know the laws where you are going. There are many MDing sites that have the individual state laws listed. MDing in most Federal, and State lands in illegal. Historic sites, National Seashore, and many other places are off limits. Very heavy fines if caught! 3. Don't be put off by #1 and 2. There are many good places to detect. I always ask the campground management if I can work the shallow water (even in state parks) and almost always get permission. 4. Learn your equipment. It is a tool, you need to learn to use it properly and use headphones. 5. Don't plan on getting rich. It can take years to find the "big one". My best to date is a 14kt mens ring with a large sapphire surrounded by 14 cut diamonds. That was after 14 years of swinging. 6. Don't get discouraged, (see #5), dig it all until you know what the machine is telling you (see #4). 7. Respect the property, don't dig craters, always fill your holes, cut plugs in grassy areas and replace them, show/share your finds with the landowner and carry out the trash as well as the good. 8. Enjoy yourself, it is relaxing and exciting. I liken it to fishing. You don't know what the next bite will be!
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote