Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If it is just going to sit and you have no plans of going anywhere else, why not just buy a park model or destination unit? No need for an R/V of any type.
X2 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #22
Site Team

I'm looking to move to a mh from a fiver and finding that lots of folks park the mh and rent a cheap car while at destination so they don't tow a dinghy. Something else to consider in the comparison. Another thing I'm hearing as I talk with RVs in parks is that some do not like driving their big dually diesel around after parking the fiver. Hard to park, poor mpgs, etc.
So much to consider.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Only disadvantage we see to having a MH is,,,
unless you tow a toad you have no way to go wandering,,, unless you break camp !!!
When the kids were growing up, we had a 22' Trek MH and pulled a boat. We went everywhere and did anything with that MH including living in it while building another home. We even had a hard line phone in the camper while building. Breaking camp never seemed to bother us. Fast forward to now and "no way, Jose".

When we first got the 2500TS, we camped at the lake where we had our honeymoon. We towed the boat and the kids joined us driving their Jeep. During that time, we saw the toad-to-be advantage. Planning for a 3 month trip to FL, I convinced DW to buy a 2012 Liberty with 8K miles. That 3-month trip totally convinced us on the toad merits.

Interesting story. When we were building our second home, we first rented a home across from where we were building. The owners had been transferred and the house was for sale. Limited on funds, we decided to move the MH across the street and live in it. But we needed a phone-cell phones were not invented yet. I jury rigged a stand and waterproof box for the temporary phone line. I also routed a phone line cord into the camper.

The phone line installer showed up at the rented house and we explained we would move the MH over to the job site and explained the phone would be in the MH. This guy was bewildered. He asked how I was going to move the camper with the phone line. Simple, disconnect the line from the stand. His reply, who will answer when you are not there? Reply, if we had the phone connected and we were not there, there would be nobody there to answer.
It was one of those precious camping moments.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #24

It's your money, do you really want a bunch of people who can't agree on brand of coffee to use. To tell you what you wanna buy. Buy one of each then sell what ya don't like.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I'm looking to move to a mh from a fiver and finding that lots of folks park the mh and rent a cheap car while at destination so they don't tow a dinghy. Something else to consider in the comparison. Another thing I'm hearing as I talk with RVs in parks is that some do not like driving their big dually diesel around after parking the fiver. Hard to park, poor mpgs, etc.
So much to consider.

What we are considering is to have the 5th wheel towed to Navarre and park it at a storage facility. Then when we or a family member go s down we will have it taken to the RV park and set it up for us. Then when we leave they will take it back. Currently we are hooked on Navarre and have no plans to go anywhere else. We will drive our car(s) down from KY.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #26

Quote:
So much to consider.
Watch you numbers and there is no need for a pia called dually. I pull 43' with 4 slide outs and make ALL numbers with an F350 SRW.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #27

I will chime in here. Once more it's about what you want

We went from a TT and truck to a 35 ft my.
Pluses
No need to back trailer up. Me bad at that.
No need to look for places to eat
No need to look for a place to park and find a bathroom. Our tt bathroom was blocked by the slide
Your pets can hang out with you
Your copilot can get you food or drink from the fridge
You can sit in traffic go to the barhroom and still be sitting traffic.
You can shower while driving- can be bumpy
We more room than in our tt
Seems to be easier to fill up vs truck and tt
Minus
Cost
Extra maintence

We plan on maybe getting a 5iver when I stop working and putting it somewhere.
At some point we may get rid of the rig. Not now. It has enabled us to do some traveling that I would have not done before. And I would not trade the smiles we have for anything.

It comes down to what you want and what you will use it for.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Another question for 5th wheel owners. I looked at some 5th wheels yesterday and it seems the steps are harder to navigate than those on my MH. My wife and I both are having a little mobility problem currently. Is there anything we can do to help with this?
My interior steps are very close to residential height.

My exterior steps were switched to Torklift Revolution Steps and are also very close to residential height.

So there are still steps, but they aren't extra tall or steep.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #29
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
So much to consider.
Funny about that. I am the reverse. I love to use my Silverado whenever I can, which when we are home is rare due to fuel costs. When we are out RVing, camping, I look for reasons to go wandering, in the truck, to remote tourist spots or into the local town. It's not a lot of fun trying to fit the thing into some of the regular parking places (supermarket carparks and under-cover's are nightmares), but the reward is when a guy pulls in next to you, gets out and says" Man that's a BIG truck, makes my pickup look like a toy".
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
This may not be the place for this but here goes anyway! I currently have a 2011 GT 378TS with 14,000 Miles. I am considering switching to a 5th wheel and just leave it parked in FL when not in use. I have not driven my GT in two years. What have people said about switching from a nice motorhome to a 5th wheel? I’m at a loss as to what to do!!
Happiest day was taking delivery of my 45' motorcoach.

The HAPPIER day was the day I got rid of it.

On my 2nd 5th and would NEVER consider a motorhome again...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #31

The wife and I just became full timers. We gave considerable thought and research into this very topic. We found from others that it really does depend on what kind of traveling you plan on doing. If you like to move often then maybe lean towards the motorhome. If you plan on staying in one place for a while. Our plan is a minimum of a month at a place, then the 5er seams to give us more room. We went with the fifth wheel. We think it is more home like. We like the fact that if we have engine trouble, the house does not have to go in the shop. You can find a truck dealer just about anywhere.
Just our thoughts on this. We really are loving the 5er
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #32

We went there this several years ago,. Once we changed to our CC 5th wheel we are glade we did.
patricklott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Happiest day was taking delivery of my 45' motorcoach.

The HAPPIER day was the day I got rid of it.

On my 2nd 5th and would NEVER consider a motorhome again...
Although my DP was a whole foot shorter I agree 100%!!!! Same with a dually, one and done. I make all numbers pulling a 43' 5er with an F350 SRW.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #34
Site Team

Late update. Sorry, I just realized I hadn't responded here. So we bought the Forester 3011ds class c. Some big differences to get used to. Smaller bath and shower. Tighter bedroom. One less slide. But some improvements too. 4 door fridge (wife loves). Auto leveling (I love). Only one a/c. Onboard generator.
Had some issues on first trip, to Buffalo River natl park. Power inlet burned out on side of RV. Fridge wouldn't work on lp. Some other less important issues. To be expected. God to go.
Now dealing with toad search issues. Dolly for Highlander or something new to flat tow. Rather flat tow.
So, anyway. We made the jump and planning a run to Yellowstone in June to meet three other family members with RVs.
Dinghy search continues.
Thanks for comments above.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #35

We love our little MH, until we want to plan a trip and stay a few days in one spot !!!
Rent A Car ???
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
We love our little MH, until we want to plan a trip and stay a few days in one spot !!!
Rent A Car ???
That is called the MH-GOTCHA. I owned a MH and while I pulled my Jeep inside a 30' box trailer the reality was...78' long.

Never go back to a MH again, love my 5'ers...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #37

Personal choice. We've owned everything except a class B, and now a FW Is our choice. I always have a PU truck in the stable, so it was an easy for us. One less chassis to be concerned with.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #38

Part our decision to buy a Small MH was my 03 F150, that only has about 36k miles on it has a low towing rate, so there was not a lot of nice 5th wheels we could haul, and with a shell on the back, Lite TT are a good option !So now I am thinking about selling My F-150
And the wife's 2011 EDGE that also has about 36K miles on it, and then buy a fully loaded F-150 ? Wife does not want to sell EDGE, it is a great car ! And she does not like the idea of driving a Truck !!! There are several advantages to only having 1 vehicle!!!
We never seam to need 2 vehicle any more ???

Tags
5th wheel, wheel