Old 06-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

MH vs 5th Wheel

This may not be the place for this but here goes anyway! I currently have a 2011 GT 378TS with 14,000 Miles. I am considering switching to a 5th wheel and just leave it parked in FL when not in use. I have not driven my GT in two years. What have people said about switching from a nice motorhome to a 5th wheel? Iím at a loss as to what to do!!

buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

We have kids and we didnít have a vehicle to pull the bigger camper with. I wonít be going back to a trailer after buying our 364TS. If itís just going to be parked and you use the same campground every time a 5th wheel would be better I would think. We travel too much and need the space while on the road.

Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

We had a 39 foot Glendale 5th wheel and went to a 39 foot Motorhome and could not be happier. But we use it almost weekly, if it was going to sit without moving it I would go back to a 5th wheel. Why have the big investment and not use it.
Larry
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Quest View Post
We had a 39 foot Glendale 5th wheel and went to a 39 foot Motorhome and could not be happier. But we use it almost weekly, if it was going to sit without moving it I would go back to a 5th wheel. Why have the big investment and not use it.

Larry

So true. I have a big attachment to the MH but I know I may have to make the hard decision. I spend $300 a month for and enclosed storage alone and because of my age my insurance really jumped. That tough because my son is the one that drives it when we go to FL.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #5

With a motor home it's all about cost of NON-Operation. Depreciation, loan interest if financed, and insurance can cost you $15K a year and up. You have an expensive chassis just sitting and doing nothing but loosing value.

Any style of trailer eliminates that expensive chassis, and cost per square foot of living space will be a lot less.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
With a motor home it's all about cost of NON-Operation. Depreciation, loan interest if financed, and insurance can cost you $15K a year and up. You have an expensive chassis just sitting and doing nothing but loosing value.

Any style of trailer eliminates that expensive chassis, and cost per square foot of living space will be a lot less.

Good point Bluepill. You live very close to where we wound Park it - Navarre.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

We went from a 32 foot class C to a 5th wheel and could not be happier. There is give and take with both.. the only thing i miss is running the generator when we stop so the dogs can have AC.

That said. The motorhome just didnt have the space we wanted. Sitting on the sofa watching TV only feet from the wife while she was cooking just became too much. Having all of the living area jammed together in the same limited area wasnt what we wanted. No matter if it was a new Class C or a Class A the layouts were almost the same in this respect.

Jumping into the 5th wheel was great for us. Driving the rig was a joy compared to the C. The layout gave everyone the space they needed plus a real kitchen and dining layout. Having an independant tow vehicle in my opinion was a plus as well. It's just not sitting during the off season.

The negative... stopping with the dogs takes planning since they are now with us in the TV.
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #8

With a MH you need a toad for everyday transportation. With a 5th wheel, the truck is your everyday transportation. Overall tow lengths are similar. The truck/trailer combination is less expensive overall and you can upgrade them individually. The truck could be your second vehicle when not is use to tow with.

Your MH is probably paid off so yearly expenses are minimal. To switch, you will need to buy a truck and trailer to replace your MH. It will require additional cash when you sell your MH.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Letting a MH sit is one of the worse things you can do. Things start to rot like houses, belts and tires which are not cheap.(yes 5er may need tires if expose to a lot of sun) plus the additional insurance for a MH compared to a 5th wheel. Plus if you are just going to not move the 5er thean you need not buy a truck for towing. Have it brought to CG by dealer and done. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 25
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

We went the opposite way. F250 diesel 4x4 and 5th wheel to similar sized gas moho. We love it. DH struggled with hitching and unhitching the trailer and after double knee replacement the stairs were killing me. We have 3 slides 2 opposing in the living room area. We have spent two months in it comfortably.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel