Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Speaking of food, the little buggers love a nice bird feeder nearby. If you have one, move it away from the TT would be an idea.
They also like some paper towels in the trailer to make a bed, as well as bedding, etc. We keep all that in storage bins when not in use.

Based on how interested our pooch got in the area, I also leave the stabilizers up, leaving just the wheels as "easy" access points. That protects the stabilizers in case a tire or two decide to go flat when you are not around.

2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Never had mice in the camper but had a bad problem with mice in the house several years ago. Didn't want to put out poison since I have a dog, plus they always manage to die where you can't find them - you can only smell them. I tried traps but they ignored them. My dog turned out to be a good mouser but she couldn't keep up. I found a mouse repellent online at Gardeners Supply (Gardener's Supply Company | Garden Tools, Planters, and More). It's called Mouse Magic & is made of ground up corn cobs soaked in peppermint & spearmint oil. It's non-toxic & smells good. You can purchase it in bulk to sprinkle in various places or in packets (sort of like large tea bags) that you can put where the mice travel. I used both. Put some of the bulk in small dishes or made my own "sachets" with old stockings. The mice disappeared shortly after I started using it & I haven't had any problems since.

AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
AMarrs, great tip on the mouse magic. I've used whole cloves, dryer sheets, moth balls, poison blocks outside by the wheels etc., indoor traps with dog food kibble in case they do get in, all by varying degree and combinations. Spring 2012 I went to get my Allegro out of storage (bought the Georgetown July 2012) and the generator wouldn't start. Two problems, the house batteries were shot and...mice had set up camp in the genny's wire harness and armature winding. They chewed through a wire leading to the ignition. The shop that found and fixed the genset had to remove it from the motor home to find and repair it. I stored the GT at a different location last year with fingers crossed! Plan on ordering the Mouse Magic.
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
I had a large opening where my brake lines entered the bottom thru the choroplast liner. The foam was dried up, brittle and missing chunks. I balled up steel wool, globbed silicone adhesive in the hole and pushed the steel wool in. It should outlast expanding foam. I hope I don't blow up now.
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Or get a cat! My cat was good at catching them!
Was good........what happened the cat?
"Aint never nuthing easy"
jdadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
I stored my d in laws car while she is in afghanistan. Went out to start it and would not go, battery ok just nothing to the ignition. Long story short, had it towed to to dealer. Replacing a lot of the wiring, guess mice like to eat wire!
Rick and Linda, Lindale, TX
2011 Flagstaff 8528 CKSS
2006 F350 SW
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
Regarding preps for mice, ...This may sound silly, but along with the usual assortment of steel wool, mothballs and dryer sheets, it think I'm going to get a few rubber snakes from the dollar store and pit them in the "cozy" areas. Might scare the daylights out of one or two mice
I saw a tv show about people living as trappers up in Alaska, and one guy boiled his snare wire to get rid of the scent of human. Maybe I'll try that too. (Boiling the rubber snakes)

Worst that can happen is that next spring, I'll forget that they are there and scare the crap out of myself. Or, to add insult to injury, the mice might eat them....LOL
fiddler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #18
If the rubber snakes make you feel better, go for it, but don't expect them to scare away any mice. Mice are nocturnal and primarily rely on touch and smell to get around; they'll walk right up to a live snake! I believe your money is better spent on preventive measures.

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned to block holes with steel wool. It will rust. For large holes, stainless steel scouring pads can work, but if the holes are that large, question why the hole is that big to begin with.
rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
moth balls, mothballs and a couple more moth balls. All placed inside the trailer keeps all the rodents out! I tried them in my shed last year as well, no mice nesting in the lawn mower!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Over the past year, we've had 3 mice. Dryer sheets don't work, one of the mice made a nest out of one, and the mothballs around my wheels seem to have been used as mouse soccer balls. Last week we bought a box of Fresh Cab mouse repellant, the box has 4 packs, each pack lasts about 90 days. So far, so good. Fresh Cab All Natural Rodent Repellent, Control Mice Fast, Safe |

Cheers from Alberta Canada

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote