Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Mice in ceiling air conditioning

This year our seasonal campground has had a terrible mouse issue. This is the first year we have had issues and boy do we have them. We have heard them in the ceiling. We have blocked every space we can find with foam and steel wool. Set traps and put out decon. Now they are starting to die in the air conditioning tracts...is there any way to clean them out? The stench is terrible.. we found one in the bathroom fan molding loaded with maggots.
2 friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

Oh Man. I almost threw up in my mouth. Try gasoline and a match.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 friends View Post
This year our seasonal campground has had a terrible mouse issue. This is the first year we have had issues and boy do we have them. We have heard them in the ceiling. We have blocked every space we can find with foam and steel wool. Set traps and put out decon. Now they are starting to die in the air conditioning tracts...is there any way to clean them out? The stench is terrible.. we found one in the bathroom fan molding loaded with maggots.
Holy cow

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #4

You need to call in a professional exterminator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Wow that's about the worst I've heard of. Apparently we also had mice in our AC ducts over the course of last winters storage. When we turned the AC on during spring set up it looked like it was snowing in our rig from Styrofoam pieces and a few mouse turds blowing out of vents. Luckily the must of left because we haven't heard them or any smells and it doesn't snow anymore when using the AC's.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

As a follow up to my post, last year was the first winter I used an Adco cover on my motor home. It made a convenient way for mickey and friends to get into my RV. Last time I'll be covering my rig during storage.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

Mice in ceiling

I had the same problem with my FR Flagstaff. I found and covered every possible entry, or so I thought. They still got in and gravitated to the ceiling AC ducts very easily. When I explain, it may help you, it did me and I ve never had a mouse since.
After much thought and searching I found they were traveling up the vent stack pipe. This black pipe is the same one that eventually exits the roof similar to your home. This pipe comes directly out of the top of the black and or grey tank. Runs vertically in between a wall cavity to the roof. Mr mouse only has to climb up the pipe and he can exit wherever in the ceiling and have the run of the ceiling cavity. Now you wonder how did he access the pipe for the "elevator ride" going up?? Here is what I found, at least on mine, and solved it. The black and or grey tank hang in the frame supports below your floor. Reach above the tank and there is about 1" space or slightly less but enough for a mouse to walk around on top of the tank and take the pipe upward. Eliminate this space by pushing up (prefer tank near empty) and then I used pressure treated wood blocking maybe 3/4x1" is all you can fit. You are essentially pushing and blocking the tank against the floor, thereby eliminating his access to the free pipe elevator ride.
When I found it, I knew it was a no brainier and works flawless. Wood blocks have never come out with the weight of the tank. The are kinda wedged in there. Snug fit but safe, and I ride some pretty rough roads. Long explain but hope this helps..
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poper View Post
I had the same problem with my FR Flagstaff. I found and covered every possible entry, or so I thought. They still got in and gravitated to the ceiling AC ducts very easily. When I explain, it may help you, it did me and I ve never had a mouse since.
After much thought and searching I found they were traveling up the vent stack pipe. This black pipe is the same one that eventually exits the roof similar to your home. This pipe comes directly out of the top of the black and or grey tank. Runs vertically in between a wall cavity to the roof. Mr mouse only has to climb up the pipe and he can exit wherever in the ceiling and have the run of the ceiling cavity. Now you wonder how did he access the pipe for the "elevator ride" going up?? Here is what I found, at least on mine, and solved it. The black and or grey tank hang in the frame supports below your floor. Reach above the tank and there is about 1" space or slightly less but enough for a mouse to walk around on top of the tank and take the pipe upward. Eliminate this space by pushing up (prefer tank near empty) and then I used pressure treated wood blocking maybe 3/4x1" is all you can fit. You are essentially pushing and blocking the tank against the floor, thereby eliminating his access to the free pipe elevator ride.
When I found it, I knew it was a no brainier and works flawless. Wood blocks have never come out with the weight of the tank. The are kinda wedged in there. Snug fit but safe, and I ride some pretty rough roads. Long explain but hope this helps..
Would you be able to post a couple of pictures? I need to do this! Thanks!
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

Mice in ceiling AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynlanning View Post
Would you be able to post a couple of pictures? I need to do this! Thanks!
Sorry unable, wish I could. Recently traded to another brand, but I still subscribe here because it's a wonderful and helpful site. BTY my new TT has the coroplast enclosed belly, the previous FR with mice issue was open. If yours is open you will easily see what I'm talking about. The tanks have an "L " recess on both edges (long sides) this it where it hangs on the frame cross supports. This is where you gently push up till your tank top contacts the floor bottom and view the space to make the required wood blocking piece. You can use a strip if 3/4" wide plywood of 1/2 " thickness or whatever is needed to bring top of tank to stay up against your floor sub surface. Very simple fix. If you have enclosed belly, that may be another issue, but likely not, if you are getting that kind of mouse activity. Hope this helps. I'll look for successful post.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #10

Mice

Unfortunately we have a sealed underbelly so this won't work for us....this has been a terrible season all we have done is hunt and clean up mice
2 friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

Mice in ceiling AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 friends View Post
Unfortunately we have a sealed underbelly so this won't work for us....this has been a terrible season all we have done is hunt and clean up mice
If you have enclosed underbelly your problems are minimal. Seal every possible 1/4" space. Black silicone, and foam expanding for rodents. Pay attention to every opening. If you have a slide , they walk the frame they get on frame from tires and or jacks anything that connects the TT to the ground and enter the enclosed underbelly where any slide mechanism penetrates thru the frame. Arduous task but persistent diligence pays off. My NewTT is impenetrable after I sealed it all as outlined. Good luck. Don't give up. They will win and destroy your TT
Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #12

next time use sticky traps, this way you remove the lil dead bodies :-)
DwainKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #13

I envy you not your problem with the mice. Ugh! I too, would consider calling in a professional exterminator as I had to when I had a serious ant infestation problem. You might want to consider having the ducts professionally cleaned once the mice are eradicated as well as mice and their poop can carry diseases.

While I know this is not going to be a solution for everyone, my cat camps with me in my TT and I am absolutely 100% convinced that the scent of the cat in the TT is a very strong deterrent for mice and other rodents. I am on TT #3 at this point and have never, ever had trouble with mice or other rodents while. Ditto when I owned pop up campers. Just a thought.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote