Old 09-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #61

A few comments after reading the posts in this thread.

Bounce (and cloves)
Urine on the Bounce sheet and droppings next to it. So much for Bounce sheets!

Cat
Bella the camping kitty comes with us on every trip.

On two separate mornings at Algonquin Park in 2014 we found her playing with mice she had caught (I think it was cribbage). More got in and one or two even traveled home with us (traps got rid of those). So much for having a cat in the trailer!

Steel wool and expanding foam
Before we stopped up all the holes in our last trailer (stopping the mice for good) I had read many times that brass wool is preferable to steel wool because it doesn't rust. Sounds good, until you try to find brass wool. I sure couldn't! But brass scouring pads are easy to find and just as easy to cut up and stuff in access points.

We also came across Pestblock expanding foam by Great Stuff. I replaced the spray wand with clear tubing for two reasons. First, like lots of aerosols this stuff doesn't spray when the can is upside down... so you can poke the tubing into gaps while keeping the can upright. Second, when the hose gets blocked by foam (like the wand always does), discard and replace it.

The combination worked well for us. Stuff in some pieces of scouring pad and follow it with some Pestblock.

Sealing up the trailer was a day's work but we had no more mice after that.

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #62

i may have posted this in here before buy why are people still using bounce sheets , moth balls, and baiting them with traps.
traps catch the dumbest mouse and the others live happily ever after until the next dumb ass mouse takes the bait.

I have used "FRESH CAB" flawlessly and have since 2012 when i found the other "I swear by using this" insert your product here - failed.
Fresh CabŪ Rodent Repellent | earthkind

so much so that i have hooked 13 other trailer owners and 2 people who have antique cars and camps up with the product and continue to do so at what it costs me to get the product.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #63
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
i may have posted this in here before buy why are people still using bounce sheets , moth balls, and baiting them with traps.
traps catch the dumbest mouse and the others live happily ever after until the next dumb ass mouse takes the bait.

I have used "FRESH CAB" flawlessly and have since 2012 when i found the other "I swear by using this" insert your product here - failed.
Fresh CabŪ Rodent Repellent | earthkind

so much so that i have hooked 13 other trailer owners and 2 people who have antique cars and camps up with the product and continue to do so at what it costs me to get the product.
The Fresh Cab package says the pouches last about 30 days. What's your experience on how long they last? Our TT is store at my cousin's farm about 15 minutes from home in a grassy area. It's a PIA having to go out regularly to freshen up the mouse repellents.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #64

In my case with our park model we are locked out Oct 15 to May 15th. We have found essential oil of peppermint, irish spring and bounce sheets all together have all but eliminated. Also need to treat the outside with peppermint oil and irish spring.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The Fresh Cab package says the pouches last about 30 days. What's your experience on how long they last? Our TT is store at my cousin's farm about 15 minutes from home in a grassy area. It's a PIA having to go out regularly to freshen up the mouse repellents.
i place 3 bags in the 5th wheel in the late fall (november) and check on it somewhere around the start of Feb.

on their site "The scent lasts up to 90 days" a bit longer in colder temps.
once the smell gets weak that i cannot detect it when i open the trailer i change them.

seal the areas they can use to gain entry and use the product... don't place traps with dinner or snacks for them to be drawn in and you will be fine.
if you have them in there already double the initial set up and replace in 30 days but i have never had that problem.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
In our case the Fresh Cab didn't last a week until the mice chewed holes in the bags and spread the stuff all over the camper.

Finding and sealing every tiny hole is the only 'swear by' I know of.
And when you miss one little hole.... there's lots of swearing!
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Nights Camped: '15 = 22'16 = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #67

We have had our TTs for only 4 years now but never had a mouse problem. When we bought our first one we thought mice could be a problem.

So we invested in a very affordable mouse-away gadget we found on eBay... it looks a lot like my kids Garfield toy from the 80s but it has worked flawlessly. We just sit it on the floor when we are gone and we have NEVER had an issue with mices.

So I was telling another camper about my mouse solution and he looked at me like I was nuts.

He asked if I had mice before I got the Garfield look alike and I said no. So he wondered out loud to me ..... "how do you know it's working??"

HMMMMM! Well, that's a good question.

After reading all the pages of this thread, I think one should heed the advice of those who have HAD mice and do not now. Whatcha call.... the proof in the pudding.

Happy Camping, and I hope ole Garfield keeps working for us!
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #68
Canadian Member

I've plugged up every entry point I could find on the inside of our TT using stainless steel wool scour pads and the pest block expanding foam that Restcure recommended. There is a grey tank vent on the roof that I can't locate inside the TT though even after removing every false panel I could find. I didn't use the steel wool in the hole behind the converter/electrical panel because I didn't want to risk any problems with the 3 wire bundles coming up through the floor there. I just filled it with lots of the foam.

I did see one mouse scurry from the dinette area into the bathroom yesterday. It seems to have been getting into the living area from under the shower pan because there was a lot of mouse droppings in the area where the P trap for the shower drain is slightly cut out in the subfloor. I've setup traps with peanut butter but I'm not sure how effective that's going to be. I also left 4 bags of Fresh Cab in the bathroom and kitchen cabinets and in a drawer under the U dinette where it/they are getting access to the outside storage that also had a lot of droppings.

Hopefully I can trap and get rid of the mouse/mice that are inside now. I'm fairly confident that I've plugged up and possible entry points. We're headed to Algonquin Provincial Park in 2 weeks and I want them gone long before then because I'm getting very tired of cleaning up their droppings.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #69
Canadian Member

Just an update on our mice situation. I put out 4 bags of Fresh Cab and 3 mugs with cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil. I didn't see any mice for 3 days checking daily, so I left it for 3 days. Went back in today and found 1 mouse dead in a trap, another in a bedroom drawer that had socks in it along with the 6 or 7 babies she had just had!, and a 3rd one in the pass through with lots of droppings. Clearly I haven't found all their entrances. I think the peppermint may have worked for a few days but when the scent faded they came out again. Who knows. It's very frustrating.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #70

put out numerous traps
keep them baited with peanut butter...
I better sucess with the traps after putting velcro tape, the hook part on the the trap, which made it more difficult to get the peanut butter without setting off the trap

put them in many different places especially where you find droppings and check them every couple of days or sooner

I was able to trap 5 mice in 3 days with just two traps... then none for two weeks so I think I got them all

available food will draw and keep them, gum, candy, cough drops, pasta, cereal... get rid of all that stuff everywhere...
empty your drawers and leave them open, or pull them out altogether so fewer hidden nesting spots...

chances are you had a breeder that had babies in the camper and infested the camper... you have to get rid of those... there maybe no more coming in...

good luck and be persistant

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer