Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #71

I hate to say this, but we actually had to think like a mouse. We placed traps, oils, dryer sheets and fresh cab (not all at the same time) out in different areas in the living quarters of the trailer. We knew we had it bad since the traps caught 18 mice in 5 days! Yes we used steel wool and foam to seal gaps. They just chewed their way through. Keeping the mice out the living quarters is one thing, keeping them out of your trailer is another. We knew we had a serious problem couldn't use poison since we have dogs and didn't want to expose them to it. We found placing several bags of Fresh Cab in confined areas where plumbing/electrical where coming through the floor helped. The outside is a different story. Everything was sealed except where rods/tracks for the slide outs were. Couldn't use anything there for fear of damaging the mechanism of the slide out. While under the trailer, I asked myself how would I get in? And there it was, climb the tire, hop onto the I-beam rake a stroll to the opening for the the rods/tracks of the slide out. Since the underbelly is enclosed, now they access to the whole trailer. Our underbelly has little vents that can be unscrewed. Near the tires and slide outs the is a vent, we took an t-shirt and soaked it in a peppermint oil concentrate (FYI: this concentrate made my eyes water that's how potent this stuff is) and placed inside the vent opening. Resoaking that t-shirt every month. Haven't seen evidence of a mouse in 6 months. So far this method is working for us and we're sticking to that schedule. Final note, the smell of the peppermint oil is hardly noticeable inside the trailer, walking around you can definitely smell the peppermint oil from at least 10 feet away outside the trailer. As stated in an earlier post, be persistent!

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH

Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #72

I've had one mouse and I believe it entered through the low pressure propane hose housing on the side of the trailer. I left the hose door open and I think it came through it.

Otherwise, I never had an issue with mice. When I store the trailer after Thanksgiving (at a buddy's farm) I place cloves through out the trailer in small foil containers as well as placing a bunch on the ground around the trailer.

I'm not sure if the cloves work or the trailer is just well sealed.......who knows. I'll continue with the cloves.

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #73
Canadian Member

There is absolutely no food in the trailer. They just seem to be using it for nesting/shelter. We've moved all the paper products to cabinets that they can't access and we bought sealable plastic containers for everything in the drawers. They chew at anything they think they can use for a nest...tags on chair bags, plastic bags, even a silicone basting brush.

We've had campers parked in this spot for more than 10 years and rarely had any signs of mice until this year. I think the only thing that has changed is that the farmer who rents the adjacent field area planted grain closer to my trailer this summer which would provide their food source. He may have even dug up their nest.

We're heading out camping this morning for 5 days and I hope we aren't taking any unwanted passengers with us.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #74

"For use in currently infested areas, increase use to 1 pouch per 8 sq. feet of floor space, and replace every 30 days."
and somewhere on the Fresh Cab site it stated do not set traps to bait new ones in.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #75
Canadian Member

Came back from Algonquin on Friday after 5 days camping there. Almost no evidence of mice but DW and I both thought we heard something overnight at different times. Parked the TT on Friday afternoon with the 4 bags of Fresh Cab and 3 fresh mugs of peppermint soaked cotton balls. Went back today and found a mouse in one of the 2 traps I had baited with peanut butter.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Came back from Algonquin on Friday after 5 days camping there. Almost no evidence of mice but DW and I both thought we heard something overnight at different times. Parked the TT on Friday afternoon with the 4 bags of Fresh Cab and 3 fresh mugs of peppermint soaked cotton balls. Went back today and found a mouse in one of the 2 traps I had baited with peanut butter.
What a PITA.
From what I've heard, most insurance policies will not cover mouse damage.

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
That's a real bummer. It's hard to be sure that everything is blocked... and I only used traps after seeing evidence of mice in the trailer. I hope you get your issues resolved!

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #78

Mice Problems

We are using "Moese Be Gone and if we refresh it every 3 months, it works very well.
We put mouse traps out as well, and when I don't use the Mouse Be Gone we trap mice. It canbe found on the internet.
Question, is it ok to use spray foam to fill plumbing penetrations, or will it make the pipis too rigid possibly causing broken pipis due to flexing during travel?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #79

The factory uses spray foam where plumbing goes thru the walls and floors, so adding more shouldn't be a problem. The tubing is mostly flexible anyway.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
The factory uses spray foam where plumbing goes thru the walls and floors, so adding more shouldn't be a problem. The tubing is mostly flexible anyway.
That is for sure !!!
We have that spray foam hanging every where under our Sunseeker,,,
But I am not complaining !!! We also have no mice problem !!!

Tags
trailer