Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #21

Mousetraps. Kill them.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #22

Turn the cat loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Let the cat loose. Once the cat's scent is all over the trailer, mice will look for cat-free accommodations.
I would, but our cat likes to eat part of it and then leaves the rest of for us to step, or lay on.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
When I was winterized, I had left some ketchup and sugar packets in a drawer which the mice found. What a mess to clean out! This winter I will remember to remove ALL food sources. I also stuffed steel wool into the openings.
The only thing along the line of food that we left in ours over the winter was single serving instant folgers coffee and yep...they tore all the packs open. We are going with Decon for now. Co workers with RVs have recommended "fresh cab" but the DW bought Decon so that's what we're gunna try.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
The problem with decon is the mice chew on it and then go and die somewhere that you may not be able to retrieve them from.

I use poison from tractor supply -comes in square blocks. Generally a mouse eat poison they want water. Will generally leave RV. To get water. Thus dying outside RV

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #25

TT unfortunatly are nto tight. Mice can get through tiny openings. I fill openings I find with steel wool and sue dryer sheets. However, when bonnie camping we often pick up a few mice. The most EFFECTIVE thing to do is put a couple sticky traps on the floor when you get home, check them in a couple days & the unit should be clear of mice. Then do the dryer sheets, Irish Spring soap, oil or rodent repellant. BUT; put down a couple more sticky traps.

The worst thing is when they build nests(out of paper towes, toilet paper, newspaper left in the unit) and start having babies. Talk about stink !
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #26

Mice in RV's

Use to have a problem with mice. After sealing every small hole I could find, still had an issue. One day I was sitting just outside my trailer and saw one run inside the enclosed underbelly via a small opening where the rack gear is for my slide out. My trailer slide is electric drive with a rack and pinion gear set. Since then I place a copper wool pot scraper on each side of the rack gear when parked. 4 pieces in total and it takes about 15 sec to place them. Been doing that for 8 years now and never seen a trace of a rodent again. During winter storage we put some fresh cab inside the trailer.
johnnyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #27

Plug the entrances with anti rodent expanding foam.

We had an infestation in our 2008 Puma. First find the entrance. Mice can squeeze thru a hole the size of a nickel. Have a partner shine a light from storage at all plumbing outfall areas, under the sink, electrical outs, anything going into the mid level area of RV. Seal wherever you see light with antipest expanding foam. Then do the same thing underneath your RV. Seal all the holes. They can't get in. Then wipe down the interior of your RV with a bleach soap solution top to bottom, stem to stern. All of the other suggestions are also great. Good LucK!
Joegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #28

Spray Foam insulation wherever there are openings and Bounce dryer sheets throughout the trailer in the off-season works for us. Our cats couldn't be bothered.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #29
Site Team

it works

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-PestCh...onic+repellent

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
They DO work. I've used those in my house for YEARS.....and never a problem with mice since. The only thing many people don't realize is they have to be put out in the open for them to work....the sound won't go through couches and chairs.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjaz View Post
They DO work. I've used those in my house for YEARS.....and never a problem with mice since. The only thing many people don't realize is they have to be put out in the open for them to work....the sound won't go through couches and chairs.
You are correct!

Every weekend i would go to the seasonal site and have 1 or 2 mice in traps plus all the droppings.

We tried every thing to combat. This was spot on, only 1 mouse the first weekend after installing. 9 months later not a single sign of a mouse.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #32

Up until this year we used a Southwind motorhome that has been in the family for over 30 years. Every single year during winter storage mice always got in. We tried sealing up all the holes we could find but they still found a way in. Storing in a heated shop for about the first 25 years was likely the worst and we tried almost everything short of poison and moth balls. On Bounce sheets we found droppings, Irish Spring soap was chewed, mint soaked cotton balls were made into nests, coffee grounds were a mess, cedar didn't work. My aunt and uncle even lived in it with a cat for a few months and it didn't seem to make a difference. What we did was try to minimize mess and make it uninviting. Remove all food, clean out all cupboards and leave doors open, remove drawers and make sure all bedding and towels are in closed upper cabinets. And finally we set traps, plain old snap traps and live traps and checked them often. We caught less mice after doing that and clean up wasn't such a chore.
frankrizzo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
We also use bounce inside and place moth balls all around the tires. So far so good.
I used to put Moth Balls under our propane cover on our old TT in the North woods,,, the Mice built a nest right next to the Moth Balls !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #34

These are very good comments and advise. I hate mice and won't touch one dead or alive. My wife worked with mice in her research at a major southern university, so you know who gets rid of the little bast..ds in our household when we get them. I like snakes and had to "relocate" them as part of my employment at a scout camp. Go figure!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
These are very good comments and advise. I hate mice and won't touch one dead or alive. My wife worked with mice in her research at a major southern university, so you know who gets rid of the little bast..ds in our household when we get them. I like snakes and had to "relocate" them as part of my employment at a scout camp. Go figure!
Big snakes I belive eat mice hey ???
Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Big snakes I belive eat mice hey ???
I thought of that, but don't want to sleep on the couch.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #37

to keep them out is certainly preferred, ...... but if you already have them inside, a mouse trap baited with peanut butter can not be beat, .... mice can be so skillful and lite of touch, they can get the bait and not set off the trap,..... so smear a small dab of the pb under the little food lever, that way as they maneuver and work to get the pb from under it, they can not avoid tripping the trap, ....

in the 70's, lived in Cal. and found signs of mice in my garage(never saw them), that afternoon I set one trap with pb and checked it and re-baited it several times throughout the night,..... by the morning I had killed 13 mice and three different times had two mice at once in the trap, .... never saw another mouse or signs of them as long as I lived there,...peanut butter works better than anything, ..... some traps today have little scented blocks, smear pb on those as well, it'll draw them to the trap better than the scented block will ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #38

Peanut Butter on a rat trap works very well to trap Ground Squirrels also !!!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #39

This might be helpful when dealing with insects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	115710  
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #40

We use the same thing farmers use for their equipment. Go to farm store buy Cab Fresh. Nice smell too!
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer