Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #21

When you are considering buying from a dealer, I recommend spending a few hours some day at their service center taking to current customers. You will quickly find out how efficient their service department is!

Once you are out of warranty, look for an independent RV service tech in the area.

We bought out of state at RV Wholesalers and we're happy with our purchase.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #22

? buy out of state.

I bought local thinking that I would get decent warranty service but I was wrong. Some have had good experience but in the Baltimore area the dealer ignores warranty work until the shop is bare. In the future I'm going with price since the local dealer is worthless.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #23

Buying out of state

My experience was we saved thousands buying from RVdirect.com . As previously stated the local dealer may blow you off for service but that is often the same result after they cash the "big check" when you buy there. Save as much as you can on the purchase and find an independent local RV repair guy by word of mouth.and give him a small fraction of your savings to go over your unit. Also most major systems warranties do not have to be serviced by only the selling dealer.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

We bought our last 3 rigs out-of-state for the substantial savings. Have NEVER had a problem with getting warranty work done at any dealers in any town. Of course we usually only take it to big-box dealers or camping world for any service. None of our RV group has ever had problems with local dealers refusing service because it wasn't bought there.

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #25

Seriously considering RVW when we buy again. On a "preliminary" quote they look 4-5K cheaper(cheap 5er) than advertised prices + no options seen trailers advertised. They called me on the phone(had text quote in 1 minute). Sounds promising so far. JMO
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #26

It was well worth it for me to go out of state. I was able to save $35,000. Just pay DMV registration in your home state.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #27

We went 500 miles to West Virginia from upstate NY for our Silverback 29re. The local dealer did not have the coach we wanted and was way overboard on the pricing. Bottom line #1 get the coach you want, not settle for, they cost too much to compromise.#2 if you can save a lot (ours was discounted 41% off list) go for it, it's part of the fun! Enjoy
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #28

Smile RVW worked for us

We bought our rig last year at RVWholesalers in Ohio and they made it a great experience. We saved many thousand by driving from MA to OH and would do it again. The unit was perfect when we arrived, they went through everything with us before we took it off the lot. So far we have had no problems with the unit, but I am able to handle many of the repairs if I need to work on it. We went with a Soliare hybrid and we love it. Our local dealers do not have much of a reputation for quality repairs.
Pilot172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #29

I purchased our Polomino Solaire from RVW 2000 miles from my home. I got a great deal on the TT and RVW really followed up with the necessary warrenty work by contacting local repair shops that would honor the Forest River warrenty.
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #30

We bought our out of state 3 yrs ago and have had no problems. The few things that needed fixing my husband has done. We have an RV dealer near that has a parts dept we buy from( have also ordered online). We saved several thousand dollars on the purchase and got what we wanted. Good luck.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #31

The finance company or dealer once funded by finance company will send you a check for the required portion of your state sales tax. Make sure to build that in. We just did that and it was no big deal at all.

The other thing is that you will have to convert plate and title from purchasing state to your state. This was easily handled at triple aaa with no problem

Just two items to note.
Bigairh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #32

I had to take our TT to the California State DMV three times in order to register the RV in California. Each time I took the trailer back to the DMV they had a new condition that I had to fulfill. After the third time we were able to register it and all is well. I would consider purchasing another RV from out of state, but would definitely price shop local dealers. If you have the time to pick the trailer up at an out of state dealership it would be a great vacation back home.
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #33

And of course it can be the other way around. I bought my 2016 Fleetwood Bounder at a local dealer in Las Vegas (were snowbirds and we were there for the winter)(determined out 2500 TS sunseeker was not for full time living) The local dealer (not Camping World) and it's Service department in Vegas (PM me if you want the NAME) were the worst I've ever encountered. (Glad I didn't get sucked into buying a "extended" Warranty policy from them" They lied about parts being ordered,didn't seem to know how to "Fix" anything. ETC I could go on for hours.I did write a complaint to BBB of Vegas but that's just useless anyway. Were were so glad to get back here to NYS and go to my "Local RV shop (again PM me for name)where they were more than happy to work repairs thru me and Fleetwoods warranty team. They were able to fix some things that the service people in Vegas didn't have a clue about. Now about the purchase out of state and registering it in your home state that's another story.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #34

It took 6 weeks to register my new rv that we bought in Vegas, the dealer there didn't want anything to do with out of state licensing. I held the insurance on my traded vehicle until the registration in NYS was complete. Sent my son everything we thought was needed and he took it to local NYSDMV where he lives.it took a bunch of extra signatures and of course the sales tax to NYS for doing nothing. But it was completed,, well yes until the insurance company for whatever reason changed the vehicle ID numbers and NYS state wanted me to surrender the plates for driving a uninsured vehicle. and of course now there is some kind of snafu about the Vehicle ID and the Unit ID. But it all works out.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
If your ordering out of state make sure your PDI is very thorough. My PDI lasted an hour and boy do I wish I had paid better attention!
Same here, half ass explanation of systems. Also if they are involved in setting up your tow vehicle make sure it's right before you leave. In general they are not going to care that much as they figure they will never see you again. In my case I bought a TT from CW in Charleston SC. I had to tell the moron prepping my unit to put air in the tires. He also did not set up my hitch height correctly or tell me how to adjust the sway bar properly. It was a Bi$%^ driving back to Orlando but the 4 thousand I saved eased the pain.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #36

My PDI at RVDirect.com in Des Moine, Iowa was excellent. It was three hours long and Lance was very patient with me as I was a total newby and single female who flew in to p/u and drive back to Calif. Nervous as Hell when he handed me the keys, there were tornado wornings, heavy wind and rain; then late winter snow in the Rockies. I made the last ascent to my home in Eastern Sierra
Mtns., confident by then I could handle anything. It was well worth it for me buying out of state and saving 38% off retail. My local dealers wouldn't budge on price.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Have used Camping World (not my dealer) and they did warranty work faster and better than my dealer.
Too bad that's not the norm for Camping World.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #38

Check on your state sales tax. We bought out of state & had to pay 3% FL sales tax & then pay 7% MS sales tax when we bought our tag. MS & FL are not reciprocating states.
Goff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #39

If you are considering coming east to buy an RV, check out Lewis in Dayton, Ohio. We live in Ohio and bought our 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS at Lewis. We could not be happier with all all aspects of our purchase, including a few minor warranty items and the installation of some aftermarket items. Definitely would recommend having them on your "short list".
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #40

Buying out of state for 2nd time

First time went smooth with a Coachman LTZ TT, now buying Crusader 295RST 5th wheel. Canadian dealers are a rip off. Even after travel costs and cross border charges I am much better off buying in USA and importing. Savings are in the $5 - $10K range after all costs and exchange to Canadian dollars.
Ontario Sam is offline   Reply With Quote