Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #1

Might buy out of state, any concerns?

Hi all,

Not sure this is in the right sub forum, if not let me know.

Live in Vegas, option for a great deal in MI, and wonder if there's anything in particular I should be aware of, avoid, or include in the deal if it goes that way.

Thanks.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pprice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #2

If you are willing to drive to Michigan, you might get a great deal at https://www.couchsrvnation.com in Ohio. Worth checking anyways.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Always Learning

The biggest thing to be aware of is that your local dealer isn't required to perform warranty work. The RV industry doesn't share that with the auto industry.

Often times, people who don't buy local are either flat out refused OR are put so far down the list that it can be many months before the local dealer will work on the unit.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The biggest thing to be aware of is that your local dealer isn't required to perform warranty work. The RV industry doesn't share that with the auto industry.

Often times, people who don't buy local are either flat out refused OR are put so far down the list that it can be many months before the local dealer will work on the unit.
And often times even if you bought at the local dealer you are put so far down the list that it can be many months before they can work on it and its not because the dealer is a POS. Its because they are selling and making them at record levels and the service departments, and more importantly the manufacturers warranty and parts departments, can not keep up with demand.

If you can save a pile by going long, I say go for it. I went the route of getting prices afar and was prepared to go there, we had done it before. When the semi local dealers (80 miles but was the closest Rockwood dealer) offer was slightly less than a grand more than my best price at a distance, I went for it. Traveling to buy has a cost financially to itself, and it's higher than most people anticipate.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:

Wow. that's a bummer. thank you for the heads-up. That's a doozy.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
And often times even if you bought at the local dealer you are put so far down the list that it can be many months before they can work on it and its not because the dealer is a POS. Its because they are selling and making them at record levels and the service departments, and more importantly the manufacturers warranty and parts departments, can not keep up with demand.

If you can save a pile by going long, I say go for it. I went the route of getting prices afar and was prepared to go there, we had done it before. When the semi local dealers (80 miles but was the closest Rockwood dealer) offer was slightly less than a grand more than my best price at a distance, I went for it. Traveling to buy has a cost financially to itself, and it's higher than most people anticipate.
Thanks Havercamp. I'll certainly by using the distance offer to evaluate what the local dealer can do for me. I realize that the local dealer has to pay shipping, and will calculate that at about 50% of what I was quoted to give them a fair crack at my business.

I would much prefer to buy local if I can, but if I can save several thousand dollars, I might be persuaded to buy OOS. That said, not being able to get warranty work easily may sway me back the other way. I have to evaluate all the angles - so thanks again for the information, it's what I'm after.

Paul
Old 05-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

All good info to have, but keep in mind while your states away enjoying your new camper, and need work, the local dealer who sold you the unit can't help anyway!

Don't be fearful of the refusal to work on a unit if not purchased here scare tactic!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

I've bought all of my RV's from RVWholesalers- 1000 miles away. I LOVE the warranty. With local, sure, I might get service, but I have to take it in and leave it- almost always for weeks at a time- and they won't supply me parts. With RVW, on small items that are easy to fix they will send me replacement parts. No waiting for the local dealer. Also, I have options for my repair work. If I buy local, I'm pretty much bound to use that dealer, even if the technicians are morons. Many stories of RV's having more issues AFTER being "fixed" than before they went in. In addition, RVW works with independent service centers- which tend to be MUCH better than dealerships for repairs in my experience. Not to mention I've saved $3-$5K over local dealers every time. I could go to an independent tech and pay out of pocket for a LOT of repairs before even getting close to spending what I saved. Just another perspective on the warranty work issue.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Always Learning

Good points above. My "local" dealer ended being putzes when it came to service.

Given RVW's track record, I would gladly buy from them.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

Have used Camping World (not my dealer) and they did warranty work faster and better than my dealer.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #11
Canadian Member

IMO, the local dealer is worth considering if:
1) they have a reputable service center, and
2) they are competitively priced after accounting for the cost to travel to the out-of-state dealer

If they can't meet those 2 criteria, don't be afraid to shop for the best price.

If you end up buying from out-of-state, Forest River can help you locate a shop not too far away to do any warranty work. RV Wholesalers also has a "dealer network" which is a referral to a local independent service shop who'll work on your unit.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Good points above. My "local" dealer ended being putzes when it came to service.

Given RVW's track record, I would gladly buy from them.
And on your current adventure, that local dealer is no where near you anyway!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
And on your current adventure, that local dealer is no where near you anyway!

Truth. A fulltiming friend likes to say "warranties are for weekenders".
Old 05-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #14

Look for a local rv repair service near you. Not a dealer, but a shop that does repairs only. Considering your location, I'm sure there are plenty to be found. Take your time doing you inspection when you pick it up. It doesn't have to be done in an hour or 2. Better still ask if you can take to a local campground for the night or 2 and go over the unit there. We brought ours from Couch's RV and had them deliver to NJ. Had some minor issues but they were quick to send parts if needed and I enjoy doing the work myself.
ezitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Wait till next year...

If your ordering out of state make sure your PDI is very thorough. My PDI lasted an hour and boy do I wish I had paid better attention! Spent more time being regaled by good ole boy and honestly blinded by my new motorhome all shiny and nice I forgot all the good advice I had found here. Have a checklist and check the forum your new RV belongs to.
I ordered out of state knowing I wasnt going to use their warranty work and had lined up several independant repair shops if needed. With the savings I realized on the price out of state as opposed tolocally I figured I'd be well ahead of the game. Biggest issue I had was a bad air bag line I fixed myself. Good luck
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
Site Team

We bought our Rockwood Roo from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us a number of local dealers willing to do the warranty work.

We could also use independent RV shops, as long as we got pre approval and were willing to be reimbursed.

We knew that we would be at the back of the line, so we just dropped it off at the start of winter and got free storage until they got to it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Have used Camping World (not my dealer) and they did warranty work faster and better than my dealer.
Purchased a new travel trailer at Camping World. Tried to make an appointment at the selling dealer only to find out they do not do warranty service on my trailer. They sent me 190 miles away however they wanted a $250.00 fee to find the problem. It was a Winnebago travel trailer.
Never again with Camping world or Winnebago.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #18

Is there a rating service for dealers and TV service centers?
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #19

Ezitin nailed it. Locate a reasonably local NON-DEALER repair shop. Put aside a couple of $1000 for repairs and figure worst case you'll have to use that to fix what should have been warranty. Anything more should go back to the factory. If your local dealer has a GOOD reputation for service, and is within $2,000, that would be my first choice. Otherwise, go for best price, but don't sign on the dotted line until you're sure everything works as it should. Remember that the wolf wears sheep clothing.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Is there a rating service for dealers and TV service centers?
I use Yelp, RVServiceReviews.com, and word-of-mouth recommendations:

RV Service Reviews

They aren't great, but traveling around- it's the best that I can get.