Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
MCTroy

After we have the awning clean, I use a wet swifter mop pad and wipe the awning every time before we roll it up. I was told the vinyl really won't mold , but the dirt that collects on it will. So no dirt,.No mildew. So far so good.

2016 camping: Lost count, but never enough.
2017 reservations made!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #12

Bleach

Found the easiest for me and seemed to work well was a bleach solution sprayed on with a pump sprayer, roll up your awning and let sit for about an hour. Roll out again and rinse with garden hose, and let dry.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
We've never found a product that will totally remove embedded mildew.
Exactly right. When it is embedded you can see the weave pattern discolored, indicating it has made its way into the fabric under the vinyl top layer. Nothing will remove that.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #14

If I remember right Carefree said to brush with a mild bleach / soap solution,,,
Roll up let it set for 20 to 30 minutes,,, open and rinse !!!
Be sure to not leave this solution on your unit !!!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #15

There is an inherent problem in the awning design when t lets water get in after its been rolled up dry. Not sure how water is getting in, but when water is in a confined space and heat is applied over time, naturally mildew will proliferate...

I had same basic problem with my bathroom in my house. Mildew would build up on the ceiling due to high humidity. I kept cleaning, but it always came back.

Eventually, I found a paint with a mildewcide built in and problem never came back. It seems we need a product that has mildewcide in it that can be applied to vinyl awnings and would prevent mildew and mold build up. But not sure if there is one out there. Would be a great product if it exists!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
There is an inherent problem in the awning design when t lets water get in after its been rolled up dry. Not sure how water is getting in, but when water is in a confined space and heat is applied over time, naturally mildew will proliferate...

I had same basic problem with my bathroom in my house. Mildew would build up on the ceiling due to high humidity. I kept cleaning, but it always came back.

Eventually, I found a paint with a mildewcide built in and problem never came back. It seems we need a product that has mildewcide in it that can be applied to vinyl awnings and would prevent mildew and mold build up. But not sure if there is one out there. Would be a great product if it exists!
Not sure where you live,,, but was wondering if that bathroom had a vent fan ???
Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #17

I've tried the simple green and wasn't impressed with the results. This spring, I went with Tilex....and WOW! It was easy! I sprayed it on, rolled it up for 15 minutes, unrolled it and used a soft brush to lightly go over it. Rinsed it off and it was done! Bright white just like they day we brought it home! I got all but one small spot off my awning...which is now a small brown spot about the size of a dime. Your awning doesn't mold....the dirt accumulated on the awning is what molds. I also have sprayed a product called Wet and Forget on my clean awning. This product is supposed to prohibit mold from growing to begin with. Its still "dirty" because of all the bugs accumulated along the way, but I noticed when I was blowing it off this weekend that the bugs were sliding on the wet awning...so I have high hopes that cleaning it next time will be even easier!

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) at least 23 Nights Planned in at least 6 trips!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Black streak remover

[But it always comes back. I think it just the nature of the beast, just wondering how others deal with it. Thanks for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

I have a LOT of luck with this product. It was suggested to me by a local Layton plant.
http://www.korkay.com/brochures/196%...%20cleaner.pdf
Old 08-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbunch View Post
[But it always comes back. I think it just the nature of the beast, just wondering how others deal with it. Thanks for any suggestions.
I have a LOT of luck with this product. It was suggested to me by a local Layton plant.
http://www.korkay.com/brochures/196%...%20cleaner.pdf[/QUOTE]

SD20 will remove black streaks,,, it also removes the wax !!!
I have found some liquid waxes works pretty well,,, you can help the black streaking a little by keeping the roof clean !!! Also not as bad on a full painted unit !!!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I've tried the simple green and wasn't impressed with the results. This spring, I went with Tilex....and WOW! It was easy! I sprayed it on, rolled it up for 15 minutes, unrolled it and used a soft brush to lightly go over it. Rinsed it off and it was done! Bright white just like they day we brought it home! I got all but one small spot off my awning...which is now a small brown spot about the size of a dime. Your awning doesn't mold....the dirt accumulated on the awning is what molds. I also have sprayed a product called Wet and Forget on my clean awning. This product is supposed to prohibit mold from growing to begin with. Its still "dirty" because of all the bugs accumulated along the way, but I noticed when I was blowing it off this weekend that the bugs were sliding on the wet awning...so I have high hopes that cleaning it next time will be even easier!
Where can you buy the wet and forget product? Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning