Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Mildew on the awning

I am sure a lot of owners have this problem. Mildew on the underside of the awning. I keep it scrubbed down , but when I put it back in storage and of course it rains, mildew re-appears when I open it . I have used the usual mildew sprays, and they all work well , but it always comes back. I re apply, allow it to dry well and it looks great. But it always comes back. I think it just the nature of the beast, just wondering how others deal with it. Thanks for any suggestions.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #2

We've never found a product that will totally remove embedded mildew.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

is your awning vinyl or canvas?
todd172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd172 View Post
is your awning vinyl or canvas?
Exactly, my current awning is canvas, Sunbrella I think. This material is amazing. No fade no mold. 13 years old, zero maintenance and lookes like new. Previous TT had vinyl and was a mold nightmare. I have a new Creek on order and expecting to have to replace them when they mold up. No way to get rid of the mold. I used to power wash the old vinal but eventual the high pressure water tears it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
MountainMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #5

If it's vinyl you have a much more involved process, take it down scrub with a plastic brush and mild cleaner. After it's totally dry use a commercial grade protectant. If it's canvas, soap water and drying. Use a protectant designed only for outdoor canvas, anything for vinyl has bleach and will destroy you're canvas. Hope this helps. If it's vinyl and beyond repair, replace with a Solera canvas.
todd172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #6

Mildew on Awning

We had this problem last summer. I cleaned the underside with a solution of bleach, dish detergent, and water. I sprayed the solution on, waited a few minutes, scrubbed with a soft brush and rinsed. After everything was dry, I sprayed Wet and Forget on the awning. Now, a year later, the awning still looks like I just cleaned it.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

Mine is vinyl. I just don't look up when I'm sitting outside. Problem solved.
TV 2013 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
geezer with gadgets

Try these links:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-40834.html

https://www.dollartree.com/household...?method=search

Hope it helps, sure has for us...

Happy travels!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

Wet and forget

This product, Wet and Forget really works good. Just put it on your awning top, roll it up and put it away then the next time you open it just rinse it off.
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Gold Member

Mildew on awning

I know its not recommended to use a mild solution of bleach but after spraying and brushing with awning cleaner or a product like Simple Green, I spray on the bleach solution with the awning wet, let it sit for awhile, thenscrub with a brush and rinse it off and let it sit and dry in the sun. It pretty much works except for the odd localized stain
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
MCTroy

After we have the awning clean, I use a wet swifter mop pad and wipe the awning every time before we roll it up. I was told the vinyl really won't mold , but the dirt that collects on it will. So no dirt,.No mildew. So far so good.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #12

Bleach

Found the easiest for me and seemed to work well was a bleach solution sprayed on with a pump sprayer, roll up your awning and let sit for about an hour. Roll out again and rinse with garden hose, and let dry.
Bryan V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
We've never found a product that will totally remove embedded mildew.
Exactly right. When it is embedded you can see the weave pattern discolored, indicating it has made its way into the fabric under the vinyl top layer. Nothing will remove that.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #14

If I remember right Carefree said to brush with a mild bleach / soap solution,,,
Roll up let it set for 20 to 30 minutes,,, open and rinse !!!
Be sure to not leave this solution on your unit !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #15

There is an inherent problem in the awning design when t lets water get in after its been rolled up dry. Not sure how water is getting in, but when water is in a confined space and heat is applied over time, naturally mildew will proliferate...

I had same basic problem with my bathroom in my house. Mildew would build up on the ceiling due to high humidity. I kept cleaning, but it always came back.

Eventually, I found a paint with a mildewcide built in and problem never came back. It seems we need a product that has mildewcide in it that can be applied to vinyl awnings and would prevent mildew and mold build up. But not sure if there is one out there. Would be a great product if it exists!
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
There is an inherent problem in the awning design when t lets water get in after its been rolled up dry. Not sure how water is getting in, but when water is in a confined space and heat is applied over time, naturally mildew will proliferate...

I had same basic problem with my bathroom in my house. Mildew would build up on the ceiling due to high humidity. I kept cleaning, but it always came back.

Eventually, I found a paint with a mildewcide built in and problem never came back. It seems we need a product that has mildewcide in it that can be applied to vinyl awnings and would prevent mildew and mold build up. But not sure if there is one out there. Would be a great product if it exists!
Not sure where you live,,, but was wondering if that bathroom had a vent fan ???
Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #17

I've tried the simple green and wasn't impressed with the results. This spring, I went with Tilex....and WOW! It was easy! I sprayed it on, rolled it up for 15 minutes, unrolled it and used a soft brush to lightly go over it. Rinsed it off and it was done! Bright white just like they day we brought it home! I got all but one small spot off my awning...which is now a small brown spot about the size of a dime. Your awning doesn't mold....the dirt accumulated on the awning is what molds. I also have sprayed a product called Wet and Forget on my clean awning. This product is supposed to prohibit mold from growing to begin with. Its still "dirty" because of all the bugs accumulated along the way, but I noticed when I was blowing it off this weekend that the bugs were sliding on the wet awning...so I have high hopes that cleaning it next time will be even easier!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Black streak remover

[But it always comes back. I think it just the nature of the beast, just wondering how others deal with it. Thanks for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

I have a LOT of luck with this product. It was suggested to me by a local Layton plant.
http://www.korkay.com/brochures/196%...%20cleaner.pdf
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbunch View Post
[But it always comes back. I think it just the nature of the beast, just wondering how others deal with it. Thanks for any suggestions.
I have a LOT of luck with this product. It was suggested to me by a local Layton plant.
http://www.korkay.com/brochures/196%...%20cleaner.pdf[/QUOTE]

SD20 will remove black streaks,,, it also removes the wax !!!
I have found some liquid waxes works pretty well,,, you can help the black streaking a little by keeping the roof clean !!! Also not as bad on a full painted unit !!!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I've tried the simple green and wasn't impressed with the results. This spring, I went with Tilex....and WOW! It was easy! I sprayed it on, rolled it up for 15 minutes, unrolled it and used a soft brush to lightly go over it. Rinsed it off and it was done! Bright white just like they day we brought it home! I got all but one small spot off my awning...which is now a small brown spot about the size of a dime. Your awning doesn't mold....the dirt accumulated on the awning is what molds. I also have sprayed a product called Wet and Forget on my clean awning. This product is supposed to prohibit mold from growing to begin with. Its still "dirty" because of all the bugs accumulated along the way, but I noticed when I was blowing it off this weekend that the bugs were sliding on the wet awning...so I have high hopes that cleaning it next time will be even easier!
Where can you buy the wet and forget product? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning