Old 04-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #21

For long trips, I do my planning around a 350 mile per day average, towing a Silverback 33RL with a Chevy diesel. If I don't quite get it one day, I might go over a bit the next. If the route doesn't involve a lot of big cities or construction, I don't hesitate to get a few extra miles in, in anticipation of feeling tired or lazy later in the trip.

And frankly, some of it depends on how late we let ourselves sleep in. (grin)

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #22
After 4 years of "fulltiming" we have decided that planning a trip involves many variables.
1) Age and health
2) Purpose of travel
3) Weather and road conditions

We "plan" on 250 miles per day. Travel 2 days and then stay 1 day. At destination, stay at least one day when we get there and one day before we leave. We always stop before dark no matter what. Setting up camp in the dark when tired is not a pleasant experience.

We are retired, in our 65 - 75 year range, in good health and experienced travelers.

Remember: Life is a journey not a race. Enjoy it.

As for item #2 - "Holiday" is different than hospital visit.

Capn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #23
I plan on 10 hours driving,mileage is what ever I end up with at the end of those 10 if I am gone for a long trip.

Last year drove from home to West Yellowstone, MT. a little over 400 miles one way with lunch and fuel stops only.
Got the lite setup at the park and went to dinner at Wild West Pizzeria, and then ice cream from Dairy Cream.

Camping/clamping is sooooo tough....
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #24
We are in the 250 to 300 mile a day gang...un less the destination is 325 to 350 ...then we will suck it up and get started a little earlier on that day.
2010 Salem LA 292FKDS
One of the Original 14 F.R.O.G.s
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #25
Use the 2-2-2 rule: 200 miles, off the road by 2:00, stay two days. Works well if you have the time!
ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #26

I think the real answer here is that there is no one answer.

Weather, road conditions, urban routes, terrain, wind -- all will impact average miles per hour.

But your own personal rhythms will matter as well. I get up real early and my wife sleeps in. If we left when I could be ready, we'd get another two hours in.

I like to stop around four in the afternoon. But if was up to her, we would stop at two and get in a nap before dinner; instead she sleeps while I drive.

Age makes a difference as well -- I don't do as many miles in my late 60's as I did in my 50's.

Driving variables figure in here as well. Lately, I've been content to set the speed control just under 60 and toodle along, whereas in the old days I pushed toward 70 pretty consistently. As I get older, driving a bit slower makes more sense from a reaction time point of view. And with the outrageous price of diesel these days, I get about 2 mpg better fuel economy that way.

And so forth...

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #27
Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Give yourself a break and keep it around 300 to 350 max per day. Your dogs will require stops and pulling a trailler requires more attention. When we travel we feel that we avaerage about 50 miles per hour(including stops) even though we run at 60 mph on the highway.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #28
Recently did 750 mls in a day and spent 13hrs on the road. Dont recommend it unless you have to get somewhere or want to avoid weather like when going south from Canada in January and want to avoid weather i.e snow. Then its two days covering 1125 mls with an overnight stop in a hotel. When I do these distances I'll do two days and in the case of the Florida trip on the third day it'll be a short (5 hr max) trip and then rest for at least two days and never do more than 350 mls a day after that until I start a trip home and then the weather contingencies don't kick in so its more leisurely and always stop at least two days after one day of heavy driving.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #29
Thanks for the good feedback folks
Mike and Susan
Cavalier King Charles - Jack (3) and Sadie (2)
2015 Columbus 320 RS
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #30
I'm the only one driving and depending on roads and weather I like to drive around 5-6 hours if only going from point A to point B. We haven't just packed up and headed out randomly yet. Hopefully that will be this summer. It took 3 nights to get back to Wisconsin from Georgia and it was more relaxing than driving down in the car when we only stopped for one night. The trailer is cleaned out and ready to start again.

dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote