Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
RAC

Mini Rally

Getting set for our mini-rally this weekend up at the CG where Dimurrw and his wife hang out. On that line of thinking, would any of you Virginians or surrounding states like to do a rally of some sort?
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #2

We are going to Gettysburg this weekend. Our first trip this year. We will go to Myrtle Beach over Labor day week and then VT football starts up so camping is very limited this year. Maybe next year, especially if I hit the lottery. (won't hold my breath)

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
RAC

VT Football? What's that? Oh yeah I remember....it's the minor league for VT quarterbacks to begin their criminal careers.

UCLA FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #4

A rally sounds like fun, but I really don't feel like driving to
Texas.
Sorry Greg but the distance between Michigan and
Texas seem like two different worlds.

Maybe we could divide up the 50 states into
like four or five different sections, then rally in the
appropriate area in relation to where we live.
We would have to make sure that the rally occurs
on the same day in each area and each area at the
same campground.

Nina

P.S. I wonder if we could hook something up with the Canadians?

Like Canada, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana.
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINA View Post
A rally sounds like fun, but I really don't feel like driving to
Texas.
Sorry Greg but the distance between Michigan and
Texas seem like two different worlds.

Maybe we could divide up the 50 states into
like four or five different sections, then rally in the
appropriate area in relation to where we live.
We would have to make sure that the rally occurs
on the same day in each area and each area at the
same campground.

Nina

P.S. I wonder if we could hook something up with the Canadians?

Like Canada, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana.

*looking for Greg recommending Texas*

VIRGINIA NINA!!!!! About 12 hours from y'all....more like 10.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #6

MICHIGAN!

I have:
FIVE GREAT LAKES
WHITE PINE TREES,
SNOW, (An abundance of)
AN INDOOR WATERPARK IN DUNDEE,
CABELA'S

What else could you ask for!

Wait, the bridge between the upper and lower penisula. Big Mac.
www.mackinacbridge.org

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
VT Football? What's that? Oh yeah I remember....it's the minor league for VT quarterbacks to begin their criminal careers.

UCLA FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!
UC What?

Our new entrance song this year will be "Who Let The Dogs Out".

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
RAC

ROFLMAO Hokie!!!! I grew up out there and went to school there. At least our mascot is a bear and not a Turkey!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #9

Yeah but its a mean turkey. Actually a Hokiebird. Vick's dogs are scared of that bird!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
We are going to Gettysburg this weekend. Our first trip this year. We will go to Myrtle Beach over Labor day week and then VT football starts up so camping is very limited this year. Maybe next year, especially if I hit the lottery. (won't hold my breath)
LSU is waiting for VT.

JR-Tiga Fan
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Yeah but its a mean turkey. Actually a Hokiebird. Vick's dogs are scared of that bird!!!

Birds? etc. Tigas!!!!!
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
LSU is waiting for VT.

JR-Tiga Fan
We're coming to get ya!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Kim -

Do I presume correctly that you mean that you will be in Myrtle Beach the week after Labor Day. Where do you camp when you go there? Also, we have been known to hang out at Gettysburg, though the rates at our favorite place (Drummer Boy) have now gone through the roof and we're looking for another place near there.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #14

Hi Richard. We will leave for Myrtle Beach on Sept 2 after the ECU game on Sept. 1 and we stay at Myrtle Beach Travel Park on the north end. We have been going there for years and years. Very convenient to everything we like down there.

As for Gettysburg, we will be staying at the Gettysburg Campground. It will be our first trip there. According to the responses I received on RV.net that is a good one now. Drummer Boy got really poor reviews there and on RVPark Reviews. Apparently they have changed ownership and things have gone downhill there so I did not choose it.

Here is the website for them:

http://www.gettysburgcampground.com/

Any suggestions on places to eat in Gettysburg?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
RAC

ECU? I see the Jokies are still playing their tough schedule.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
ECU? I see the Jokies are still playing their tough schedule.
And UCLA opens with the mighty Stanford Cardinal. 1-11 last year.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
RAC

They would also be in the PAC 10. I didn't see where ECU was in the ACC? Wow Ohio and william and mary too? They sure know how to play a tough non-conference schedule! I think UCLA Playing ND Utah and BYU is a far cry from what the Jokies call a tough schedule. Who was it that Beat USC last year? Good thing VT can play Duke and NC Every year! Pac 10 2 teams with losing record vs acc 4 teams. As for their LSU game at LSU......wow, they're gonna get smoked badly.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINA View Post
MICHIGAN!

I have:
FIVE GREAT LAKES
WHITE PINE TREES,
SNOW, (An abundance of)
AN INDOOR WATERPARK IN DUNDEE,
CABELA'S

What else could you ask for!

Wait, the bridge between the upper and lower penisula. Big Mac.
www.mackinacbridge.org

Nina
Shucks Nina, don't forget:

Fishing lakes, ponds and streams;
Boating, canoeing and kayaking the same;
Driving down two-tracks looking for wildlife
Waking up to the mist rising from the lake outside your Forest River rig windows!
Relaxing under your canopy with either a hot coffee or a cold drink depends on time of day -
Trying to decide which of the many, many campgrounds in the upper or lower to try this weekend!

We love Michigan too!

Karen
Rthrbcmpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #19

I would be interested in meeting somewhere. As far as somewhere we took the kids to Claytor Lake state park a few months ago and it seemed pretty isolated and empty, I am not sure what amenities they have but they did have campgrounds. It is south of Roanoke on 81. As far as football, I am a big WVU fan. As far as birds and Bruins, our Mountie carries a gun (enough said) Espn early poll shows them 4th good luck with that but maybe this is the year (awesome offense, defense has alot to work on). Speaking of guns I was at a convenience store the other day back in the woods of Wonderful WV and saw something I had never seen before. We are on our way out and a sheriff walks in and then two four wheelers, by the way riding on paved roads is legal in WV, pull in the parking lot, the two guys dismount take off there helmets, each has a pistol strapped to there sides and they walk in the store behind the sherrif. Bet you don't see that in Richmond. Atleast I never Have.
On the hunt for a new travel trailer
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #20
RAC

Most people in the country don't realize you can carry a gun in open view. used to see it a lot when I was a kid in the mountains of California. As for Claytor Lake State Park, here is some info:

CAMPING:

Vehicles: At campsites, two vehicles per site in addition to camping unit. All others are charged the standard parking fee. Camping guests may use the boat launch for up to two boats at no additional charge.
Campsites have recently been renovated for guest comfort and park resource protection. All equipment and vehicles must be kept within the site confines. Additional vehicles must be parked in the lot adjacent to the campground contact station or in the Campground D parking lot.
Visitors to overnight guests must leave the park by 10 p.m. and are charged the normal parking fee.
Each campsite has a fire ring type with a metal grill. All rest on the ground and can be used for campfires.
Firewood and kindling available for a small fee; bring a starter log
Electric-water sites accept 20 and 30 amp current.
Campground D: Will accommodate large RV units (up to 35 feet) as indicated on site chart. Water and electric hookups (REWA) except in March and November when there is electricity but no water. There are no sewer hook-ups, but there is a dump station. The area is sparsely wooded and mostly flat. Most large RV sites are pull-through. Restroom is handicapped accessible.
Campgrounds A, B and C: Will accommodate a mix of equipment; however, mostly tents and small trailers up to 20 feet long. No hookups for electric and water. Campgrounds are mostly wooded. Terrain varies from level to hilly.
Total sites of each type: RSTD, 70; REWA, 40

Site type:

RSTD - Various equipment up to 20 feet; campgrounds A, B, & C. No hookups.
REWA - Various equipment up to 35 feet. Water hookups are not normally available November-March because of cold weather, but a water holding tank is available.
Total campsites: 110

SWIMMING: Swimming is available in Claytor Lake from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend. The area has a diving tower, snack bar and gift shop. Times and days of operation vary prior to mid-June and after mid-August because of student labor availability. Swimming is free to overnight guests, but it cannot be guaranteed should circumstances beyond the park’s control - e.g., inclement weather - require that swimming be halted. The park gives no refunds for swimming to overnight guests under any circumstances. Click here for park fees.

TRAILS: About three miles of hiking trails are open year-round. Plant life is predominantly representative of a mature oak-hickory forest. Extensive reforestation is ongoing. White-tailed deer, raccoons, squirrels and other species are common.

FISHING, BOATING: Motorboats permitted. Bass, catfish, muskie, walleye and striped bass are among the popular sport fish found in the lake. A valid Virginia fishing license is required and is available at the marina when it is open or the park office during the off-season. See Concessions below for details on boat slip rental.

A private concessionaire, Claytor Lake WaterSports, rents all types of boats, conducts interpretive lake tours and has water sports packages available at the park. For info or to make reservations, call (540) 731-8683 or visit www.claytorlakewatersports.com.

Each year in November, the lake is drawn down approximately five feet for maintenance. During this period, usually two weeks, it may be impossible to launch boats from the Claytor Lake boat launch, and fishing from the shore is difficult. There is a public boat launch just outside the park from which guests may be able to launch unless they have particularly large boats. The lake level will return to normal over time depending on rain.