Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #1

Mini split A/C

Does anyone run a mini split in their rig? I have a school bus food truck and summers here are absolutely brutal when your trapped between two fryers, an oven, and a flat top with no A/C. Everyone In the business says the A/C units for RVs don’t work very well because the oven hood vent sucks all the cool air out.
I’m also doing an RV remodel soon and wonder if it may be worth adding a split and building around it. It may be overkill in the RV though. I have 7k watts in the food truck and I don’t mind buying a smaller genny to run some of the heating equipment during the summer in order to add a little extra power for the A/C. I don’t know if I want to carry that much power in the RV.
Ccase39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Broken Toe

No matter what A/C you have, the grill vent will suck out the cold air. Unless you have a mongo HUGE A/C unit to chill the make-up air (what comes in to replace the air sucked out), you are going to lose all your cold air pretty quick.

I have seriously considered a mini-split for my cabin, but the cost is just to great. I would up going with 2 10500 BTU Window units for about 1/3 the cost. You have a very tough application, I don't think you will find anything that will do the job without breaking the bank.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

It’s either 2 RV units or a split. I have seen a couple of splits within my price range. Even if it drops the temp 10 degrees I will be happy. It will also make cleaning and prep a lot more comfortable when the door is closed and Hood is off.
I suppose I could mount an RV unit directly above my head and get some relief. Every little bit will help.
Next year when the RV is ready we may just take the bus somewhere up north to work.
Ccase39 is offline   Reply With Quote