Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Minor theft and Inconvenience

My wife and I were having a great weekend at Castaways RV Resort in OC Maryland and as I was getting ready to leave I noticed that one of the pins for my sway bar arms on Equilizer WDH was missing. Now, my habit is to place these pins back into the bars after I take them off. Immediately. I have now purchased a set of spare parts from AMAZON but has anyone ever had anyone just take things from your camp site? I would like to think people at a campground would be honest and not do that kind of thing but I guess that is just naïve.

Lesson learned for me.

Marty
Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

We have been camping since 1970 and the only thing we've ever had stolen was a small white cooler. I was parked overnight in a motel parking lot as we had just picked up our motorcycle tent camper at the factory and didn't have it outfitted yet. I guess someone needed the cooler worse than I did.
Never had anything taken or disturbed at a campground in all these years!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
My wife and I were having a great weekend at Castaways RV Resort in OC Maryland and as I was getting ready to leave I noticed that one of the pins for my sway bar arms on Equilizer WDH was missing. Now, my habit is to place these pins back into the bars after I take them off. Immediately. I have now purchased a set of spare parts from AMAZON but has anyone ever had anyone just take things from your camp site? I would like to think people at a campground would be honest and not do that kind of thing but I guess that is just naïve.

Lesson learned for me.

Marty
I would suspect it was misplaced rather than stolen.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Never had anyone take anything in all the years we've been camping. I believe most campers are honest and will even watch out for other campers' items. Unfortunately there is always 'that element' in our society that will try to ruin your day by taking something that isn't theirs. A friend of ours made a small sign and laminated it to put on his site. It reads "Smile, you're on trail cam". He thinks it might make 'that element' think twice. He's never had anything taken either.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would suspect it was misplaced rather than stolen.
Knowing me that would be good suspicion especially as I get older. I could have simply taken it off and NOT put it right into the sway bar. I could have set it on my truck bumper like I did with that nice leatherman tool I used to have and those needle nosed pliars that suffered the same fate.

Either way, I am suspicious in both directions, theft and stupidity

Marty
Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Knowing me that would be good suspicion especially as I get older. I could have simply taken it off and NOT put it right into the sway bar. I could have set it on my truck bumper like I did with that nice leatherman tool I used to have and those needle nosed pliars that suffered the same fate.

Marty
I keep spare pins for both the sway bar and WDH tucked away inside the trailer. I'm not worried about theft but rather me losing one.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:

Marty
I feel your pain/loss,we have had "Thieves" take stuff from us at C/G hundreds of miles from Home,and when we return Home the "Thieves" have put the Stuff they took right where it is Stored! Youroo!!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

I've always found that when I lose something and start looking for it I always find it in the last place I look! I'm not sure how I would know if it was my memory I was I looking for..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

I've stocked spare pins, etc with the thought that one is none and two is one. Duplicated all the equilizer hitch pins and bits...tongue lock pin, etc, etc. plus some spare zip-ties, just in case.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

Dalford I hope it is in the last place you look. If you find it and continue looking for it that is when there is an issue
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcbrownie View Post
Dalford I hope it is in the last place you look. If you find it and continue looking for it that is when there is an issue
That made me laugh!

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I keep spare pins for both the sway bar and WDH tucked away inside the trailer. I'm not worried about theft but rather me losing one.
X2!

And to further make sure things don't disappear, I mounted some squared U brackets in the ceiling storage pass-through and slid the bars on the brackets; either at home or camping. Left the pins on them also. Even in my advanced years (according to DW), I double check things then let her check.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #13

I had the exact same problem... Pins stolen until the neighbor came by and asked if I was missing a pin. He found it on the street. Other pin was still on the bumper. After that I bought spares to compensate for my short term memory loss and full time distractions - would have been hard to get home without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #14

Seems like the general consensus is that I left it on the bumper and that I should keep spares for any contingency.

Sounds like a plan!!

Marty
Old 05-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #15

Stolen Parts

Had two batteries stolen and wiring destroyed while parked in a consignment lot on Naval Air Station Whidbey Island Seaplane Base. Navy will not reimburse.
geazer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #16

I have a similar story, but it didn't happen in a CG.

My DW and I stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant to enjoy a great lunch. When we came out, I did my usual walk-around the RV and dinghy making sure everything was ready to go. I do a walk around before we start moving and another walk around when we stop.

I found that someone had removed a pin in my tow bar, one of the type where it's a bent steel rod with a hole at the end that you put a snap fastener through so the rod cannot vibrate out. Yep, they took both parts. Luckily, I carry spare parts and we were back on the road in a few minutes.

It was there when we stopped. I cannot understand why someone would remove a pin like that unless they wanted to see us have a bad experience driving down the road.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #17

The best way to find things you have lost, buy the replacement part. Probably the lost part will show up later. Golden years seemed to be filled with things forgotten!!!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #18

Yup, one boat oar. We looked for someone rowing in a circle, but they must have figured out they needed two.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #19

Perhaps the recent burglary of my trailer and 10 others in the same storage facility has me a bit jaded... or perhaps it has just erased my naivety. In the same lot last year, I refilled both of my LP bottles. When I was out camping I noticed that one of the bottles was different. I pulled the cover and discovered that someone had swapped an older, empty bottle with one of my full ones. I needed it so I refilled it. A couple of weeks later, the older, now partially full bottle was swapped back with my newer, but now empty bottle. I complained to the management of the facility and the owner said they had discovered the problem and that trailer was gone. In a facility in Amarillo that had a live-on-site guard, my LP bottles were mysteriously much lighter on 2 occasions... with no trips after filling...

It is truly unfortunate that there are thieves among us... but there are. If you have the habit of putting the pins in a certain spot then I would assume that you did that. But then again, maybe I truly am a bit jaded by my past experiences. Things that I will absolutely need to be able to leave are secured. I don't leave any of my hitch stuff out, and my spare is locked.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
2003 Georgetown 325

Ya, I'm at the place in life when I am standing at the bottom of a stairs wondering if I came down to get something or I'm on the way up to get something.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote