Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Misleading advertising

I bought a 2014 palomino solaire 317bhsk just over a month ago. The spec sheet says that it has 70 gallons of grey water. When I did my PDI I asked the guy why it only had one valve for the grey water. He said that maybe the tanks use one valve. So I didn't put much thought into it. The other day I emailed forest river and asked why there is only one grey water valve. They said that due to code violations, they had to eliminate one of the grey tanks. So now it only has a 38 gallon grey tank. One of the selling points of this trailer was that it had such a large grey capacity. We do lots of dry camping and didn't like the idea of draining the tank mid camping.
So buyer be ware. They are false advertising and that it only has half the grey capacity. They said that the second tank cannot be installed.
astro boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.palominorv.com/downloads/...rebrochure.pdf

Read at the bottom of page 16.

All illustrations and specifications contained in this literature are based on the latest product information at time of publication. Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes in prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications at anytime without notice and assumes no responsibility for any error in this literature. All weights shown are approximate. All units are shipped F.O.B. point of manufacture. CONSULT YOUR LOCA L DEALER FOR WA RRANTY INFORMATI ON. Litho U.S.A. 2012.08.31 FOR 1039

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Have you checked the capacity yourself? I have two tanks plumbed together with one handle. Two 32 gallon tanks. To verify I timed out a gallon on the kitchen sink. Let it run long enough for 50 gallons. You could do something similar to know for sure.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

So what your saying is, if i order a new mocca color trailer and it is green, brown leather interior and it comes cloth, stainless appliances and comes without. Im supposed to accept it? Because they can make what ever changes they want. I ordered a trailer on the pictures, literature, and seeing one in person, it should come that way.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro boy View Post
So what your saying is, if i order a new mocca color trailer and it is green, brown leather interior and it comes cloth, stainless appliances and comes without. Im supposed to accept it? Because they can make what ever changes they want. I ordered a trailer on the pictures, literature, and seeing one in person, it should come that way.
I think each case is individually handled and while your quoted example is extreme, changes can and do happen. People have received different furniture due to supplier changes (different recliners- I think folks mentioned that the new ones were better). The camper that I own, shortly after I ordered + received mine, they drastically changed the front cap - personally, I don't like it nearly as much as what I have. My "early" 2013 36qbok is incredibly different than the "late" 2013 36qbok.

Some changes are good and people are happy for them.

Some changes are bad and people are unhappy with them.

To be honest, I don't know what your recourse is. This is a pretty drastic change for your style of camping. But, it's a change that is covered by their standard disclaimer. I wish I knew what to tell you...
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
has happened many times to my dealer, ordered one thing and got something entirely different due to changes made by FR, if you don't like it when you see it I am sure you are not obligated to buy it. Happened to us last year when Dutchman changed locations of there 2nd A/C to better cool the front livingroom, problem was that it made so much noise you could not sit in the room, we did not buy it.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
What "there" sayin not "me" is they have the right to make changes.
Now if you "order" a mocca trailer and it only comes in "green" "now" then they will tell you.

If 70 gallons worth of grey was "specifically" ordered then that would be different if you only got 32.

70 gallons is standard and now they've changed it.

You have all the right albeit at your expense to add another tank.

Sorry that this happened to you as this does happen.

I have to wonder if you actually don't have 70 gallons worth of grey tank plumbed together as suggested.

Turbs
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Anacortesians

Yet another nail in the coffin for the concept of buying a new RV! If you buy a used one, the seller can't change it.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #9

I have. 267 bhsk, I have three tanks with only TWO valves, I would measure the capacity first.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have 4 tanks and two valves.

Turbs
Old 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

I have 3 tanks and 2 discharge valves, one of which I've never used as I hard plumbed the galley tank into the front discharge.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I have 4 tanks and two valves.

Turbs
And a "too short" hose.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

And a "too short" hose.
You got that right!

Needed timmys, yours and poopin kennys
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #14

If we have 2 showers and wash the dishes twice, the grey water is 3/4 full. I found that weird since its supposed to be a 70 gallon tank. Fresh water is only 32 gallons. Its easy to put fresh water into the trailer. So i emailed FR and asked why I only had one valve on the grey. Gave them my VIN number and they said they had to eliminate one due to a code violation. If they knew before it left the factory that it was missing a tank, they should have had a piece of paper taped to the counter stating that it only had 38 gallons instead of 70.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My wife, 5 teens and I stayed 3 nights n 4 days camping on 32 gallons of fresh water.
You may need to be a little more diligent with water usage.

Get wet
Soap up including hair
Rinse
Done

Turbs
Old 10-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #16

I know how to save water while showering. We were only gone for one night, so i wasn't concerned about saving water. More of a test to see how much water the tanks hold. With 70 gallons of grey, the tank level shouldn't have moved after a couple of showers and washing dishes.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I know how to save water while showering. We were only gone for one night, so i wasn't concerned about saving water. More of a test to see how much water the tanks hold. With 70 gallons of grey, the tank level shouldn't have moved after a couple of showers and washing dishes.
Keep in mind to not trust what the tank sensors say your tank level is.

There highly inaccurate!

Turbs
Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
My point is even if you only do have 32 gallons of grey and you trully was at 3/4 after one night your not saving much water.
furthermore I only "had" 32 gallons and never used that much in 4 days which means I didn't fill 32 gallons of grey with 6 people.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #19

Our Solera has only one kitchen sink basin. SWMBO puts a gallon in a dishpan, washes dishes in that... a gallon of rinse water in the sink basic,and that's only appx 2 gals for washing dishes.

As for showers - we installed an Oxygenics shower head with a full shutoff valve. Our procedure uses minimal water but it's better than a "marine" bath. We just wet down the body, and turn off the flow... lather up and rinse... then do same with our hair. I doubt we use more than a couple gallons per shower. Recent trip out west we went 6 days on one tankful (35 gals per FR spec); that of course included black water use, but we used public facilities for toileting wherever possible.

My point is that one can get by with smaller tanks, but it takes practice. But the OP has a point. Whenever basic specs change it's incumbent on the manufacturer and/or dealer to inform the buyer. As to color changes, etc. it's easy to see those changes in the PDI and buyer has right to walk away if it's not what he ordered. Something like tank sizes would not be detectable. However... if you drive it off the lot, it's yours irregardless!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Have you checked the capacity yourself? I have two tanks plumbed together with one handle. Two 32 gallon tanks. To verify I timed out a gallon on the kitchen sink. Let it run long enough for 50 gallons. You could do something similar to know for sure.
And I had 50gal galley and 50gal bathroom gray tanks on one dump valve on a wildcat.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote