Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Probably nice but some campgrounds will not allow any type gas scooters, bikes, or gas golf carts on their roadways. Electric only. The largest campground in Myrtle Beach is one.
Very true. I was thinking about public parks and outside of parks but that clearly won't work for the inside of many private campgrounds for the OP. My bad.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
I haven't tried to ride a two wheeler in many moons. I'd be surprised if I still could. My balance, just walking even, is horrible. It would be very cool if I could....
Notwithstanding the problems with gas scooters in some parks... sometimes balance problems are worse when walking than when seated. If you think you'd enjoy a scoot...moped... many beach areas rent them by the hour and you could give it a try and see how YOU can balance on one. It would give you some mobility, speed and range and freedom beyond that of an electric.
Of course, you are the best judge of your own condition so I'm not saying to do it...just saying that you MIGHT find you can if the balance is more walking related than something like dizziness.
Good luck with the decision making in any case!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #23

Light rain showers shouldn't be an issue at all. Carry a plastic bag to cover the upper console control area and you'll be just fine. Most current scooters gave sealed main control units that are usually tucked up out of harms way. I'm also no fan of solid tires. In theory they remove any concern if flat tires, but they can make the ride very rough which can be a major issue for anyone with back issues. Most transportable style scooters have solid tires, and standard sized scooters generally come with either.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #24
Average Joe

I ordered two of the Stand-n-Ride with the bicycle seats and knobby tires... We'll see how they work and I'll report back

Stand N Ride Pre Mobility 3-wheel Electric Scooter - Environmentally friendly transportable scooter

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
I haven't tried to ride a two wheeler in many moons. I'd be surprised if I still could. My balance, just walking even, is horrible. It would be very cool if I could....

I heard about wet conditions and the electrics. It's a shame someone isn't building a real all terrain scooter that can withstand a light rain shower.

That would be the Segway 😜

You should locate a Segway dealer and see if your balance is a issue (I am thinking now since the gyro stabelizers are a large part of the cost of a Segway)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #26

Based on the link, I think you made a good choice ~~ lighter, more compact for travel, similar distance capability on a charge, higher weight capacity, AND a while lot less money. I love my Segway but I think this will meet your needs very well.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #27
Average Joe

Well, we got them. I'm less than impressed, so far. One doesn't work and is going back. The other has much less "power" as they advertised. DW has no problem, but at 190 lbs, it struggles on the slightest grade with me. It's rated for 300 lbs. I guess it'll hold it, but I bet it won't move....

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #28

I used to have a Honda 50 scooter and although I could legally ride it on the streets without registration (because it was actually 49cc) I chose to register and tag it anyway so that I could ride in parks and campgrounds.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote