Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Average Joe

Mobility Scooters

I'm to the point that I need a mobility scooter to enjoy parks and campgrounds. I'm looking at models that offer seating for two. I would rather have the DW ride with me than walk. I'm also hoping to haul it on a hitch mount carrier.

Is anyone else doing this? What setup did you go with? Likes, dislikes? Pics?

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #2

I use a hitch mounted carrier on my MH when not pulling a toad. The scooter and 5' ramp will fit in my toad- a Chevrolet HHR. There are a lot of places to get a carrier, I got mine at Harbor Freight. There is a store close to me. I have looked at a lot of scooters, never seen one for two people, but then I've never looked for one.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:23 AM   #3

Have you considered a golf cart?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #4

Here's a link.....

Scootertech Trydan Duo 2 Seater Scooter - P2119 - Large Mobility

Its a UK site, but I am sure you can find one stateside.

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Average Joe

I'd rather stay away from trailering a golf cart. I'm leaning toward this one.. All Scooters : Royale 4 Dual using a carrier.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Average Joe

Also looking at this carrier. My hitch is rated 750/7500, so I'm thinking it should work.

Tilt-A-Rack 500ARV Plus X-Large Aluminum Scooter Carrier.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

We have the Zappy scooters.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400698959.577816.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	617.5 KB
ID:	52942Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400698983.650115.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	831.7 KB
ID:	52943

We got them at Camping World. We really enjoy them
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Average Joe

I looked at something similar to the Zappy. How do they do on gravel roads?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #9

Most scooters do not do well on gravel. Wheels are too light...and spin.
We just scoot around the park...don't go out on main roads...and we Are always in parks...that have trails or surface roads.
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #10

Fount this for you MrJoe. Pretty cool looking video! The really neat thing is that either person can power and drive the scooter.

Here is a site in FL that sells them and other types of scooters:
Shoprider Sprinter 889-4DXD two seater heavy duty scooter

Is it standing or walking that is your problem? If you can stand for periods of time hands down I would get a Segway!

Why Glide With Segway?

I have rode...er...glided (as Segway says) these before. Awesome machines! AND they make models that can go places NO Scooter could ever dream to go (they make Segways for Hunters)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Average Joe

I struggle with standing and walking. I have poor balance, too.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #12

If I may offer my 02.
Many manufaturer's that used to build two seat scooters no longer do so. (I believe that the Shoprider in the provided link is no longer made.) Most two seat scooters are simply lengthend standard scooters, and utilize the same drivetrain. If you do find a two seated scooter that you like and fits your requirements, I wouls try to make sure you purchase from a reputable dealer (ie:a local storefront with a good reputation), in the event you require parts, service, or warranty work.
Personally, I would steer clear of any make or model that is not nationally recognized or supported. I would say that at least a couple times a year I have to break the news to a customer that the great scooter deal they sourced on Ebay is now a boat anchor because we could not source a simple replacement part (I once disposed of a 1 year old $5000 non-name brand scooter becuase we could not source a simple drivetrain part). Not that scooters in general aren't reliable, the current name brand units generally are. However, given the added load of a second person, you may find you run into more issues than a regualr single-seated scooter operater would. In this instance, having the backup of a local dealer will pay for itself over any savings you think your scored by purchasing a knock-off on EBay or some other place online.

I personally do not know of, or are familiar ewith, any of the current scooter of mobility manufacturer's in North America that produce a two-seated model, though obviously from a quick check online, they do seem to be manufactured and available from someone. Electric Mobility used to manufacture an add-on second seat option that would stretch a standard Rascal scooter out. I do not believe they manufacturer that anymore. Used models may be available, but a word of warning, we have found it almost impssible to source Electric Mobility scooter parts in the past 5 years. Shoprider is good name brand, and supported by many local US abd Canadian dealers, so if you were to find a two-seat Shopride it could be worth considering. (though the Shoprider uses a wider seat and base, so you had better check to see if it fits on a standard scooter lift/platform)

Other options could be to look for two smaller or transportable style scooters. If you are sticking to paved of smooth trails you may find one of those styles that would fit your requirements. Invacare and Pride mobility both manufacturer top quality "transportable" scooters with decent range, weight capacity, comfort, and can be easily dis-assembeled if you find the need to stow one inside an RV or vehicle.

Good luck with your searching.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
Average Joe

Is EV Rider a reputable brand?

I had looked at getting two scooters and it could be possible, especially the ones that breakdown. The last campsite we were at had a loose gravel drive. I'm doubting the trike versions would be of much use.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #14

Check around with a few local dealers, or check the EV Rider website to see who their dealers are. Maybe someone close by sells and/or stocks their product and you can get an idea on the quality and/or if one would be suitable.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #15

No way to a Segway...you need to be, young, agile and pay extreme close attention. Balance is a big issue

We love the Zappy...3 wheeler, stays balanced, responds to tthrottle ....start and stops easily
You do stay on a reasonably smooth surface.

Camping world will let you ride in parking lot
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgrandpa1 View Post
No way to a Segway...you need to be, young, agile and pay extreme close attention. Balance is a big issue

We love the Zappy...3 wheeler, stays balanced, responds to tthrottle ....start and stops easily
You do stay on a reasonably smooth surface.

Camping world will let you ride in parking lot
I Disagree on the Segway. I am 66 and love to glide. It does the balancing for you. You do need to be able to make that step up to mount and dismount. Weight limit is 250#. Mine does well in gravel and grass. It is ok for trails as long as they are fairly smooth. You do need to watch for roots or potholes that can throw you off.

They are $5000 plus. How to carry mine had been the biggest issue. The best option we have found is in the back of our PT Cruiser toad.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #17

Have you thought about the possibility of a couple of 50cc mopeds? Twist and go..no shifting...gives you both independence...100+mpg... no license or registration required.
You can get NON china bikes from reputable mfrs. for in the $2000 range +/- a couple of hundred depending on the model. Parts & service availability is GOOD on the following brands: KYMCO, SYM, GENUINE, Lance, Aprilla. Of course, the major brands Honda, Vespa, Yamaha also have good scoots at higher prices.
lancepowersports.com, ATVs, UXV, Upcoming Events, Latest News and Press - KYMCO USA, Mio 50 | SYM USA - Distributed by Alliance Powersports, Genuine Scooters : America's Favorite Scooter Company

Versahaul makes 2 scooter carriers as well as for mobility scooters etc.
| Versahaul
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #18

What ever you get, if it is a electric mobility scooter, or power chair, DO NOT RIDE THRU PUDDLES, DRIVE IN WET GRASS, DRIVE IN SNOW, OR RIDE IN THE RAIN OR SNOW. I cover my steering control unit with a plastic bag, if I am caught in a wet situation. IF YOU GET IT WET, THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WILL SHORT OUT. if YOU HAVE A DRY WARM AREA TO STORE IT IN FOR A FEW WEEKS, IT MIGHT RUN AGAIN. Same for the charger if it is a off-board unit. I have repaired all types of electric mobility equipment. I have been in a 4 wheel Pride Celebrity scooter, since 1995. Another thing to avoid is pneumatic tires. Get the solid tires.
Robert, DAV, USN
robert elling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Have you thought about the possibility of a couple of 50cc mopeds? Twist and go..no shifting...gives you both independence...100+mpg... no license or registration required.
You can get NON china bikes from reputable mfrs. for in the $2000 range +/- a couple of hundred depending on the model. Parts & service availability is GOOD on the following brands: KYMCO, SYM, GENUINE, Lance, Aprilla. Of course, the major brands Honda, Vespa, Yamaha also have good scoots at higher prices.
lancepowersports.com, ATVs, UXV, Upcoming Events, Latest News and Press - KYMCO USA, Mio 50 | SYM USA - Distributed by Alliance Powersports, Genuine Scooters : America's Favorite Scooter Company

Versahaul makes 2 scooter carriers as well as for mobility scooters etc.
| Versahaul

Probably nice but some campgrounds will not allow any type gas scooters, bikes, or gas golf carts on their roadways. Electric only. The largest campground in Myrtle Beach is one.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
Average Joe

I haven't tried to ride a two wheeler in many moons. I'd be surprised if I still could. My balance, just walking even, is horrible. It would be very cool if I could....

I heard about wet conditions and the electrics. It's a shame someone isn't building a real all terrain scooter that can withstand a light rain shower.