Old 12-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Mold and sweating walls

As much as Iíve tried to stay on top of the moisture in our RV I still managed to find mold. I keep the fans on at night and even have a pretty hefty dehumidifier thatís been great. But my slides walls still sweat and today I found mold behind my couch (on the actual couch and walls).

Any tips on how to prevent this. I have a 11 month old that Iím terrified of getting sick from the mold.

Any one having these issues? How do you get air flow to all the corners and behind furniture of your RV..
thanks all

Mcaruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

If you're using a dehumidifier, I'd close the vents. You're just pulling in more moist air for the dehumidifer to try to deal with; maybe more than it can handle.

I'm having the opposite issue with my in-laws in their new retirement apartment. FIL is getting nose bleeds because it's too dry. We got a humidifier, but it can't keep up because the apartment has a pretty good flow of dry makeup air coming in all the time.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #3

You need to learn to vent cooking outside. Showers, same vent the humid air outside. Try a couple of fans. How big is your dehumidifier?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

I'd also look at sealing the living area envelope as well as you can. We would get a lot of sweating along a wall where our mattress is. The cause was cold air coming up from the electrical access area between the basement wall and outer wall. Once I sealed the bed frame and added a strip of foam weather stripping the problem went away. We also leave one of our ceiling vents cracked to help take some if the excess moisture out.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
You need to learn to vent cooking outside. Showers, same vent the humid air outside. Try a couple of fans. How big is your dehumidifier?
X2^^^ Run the exhaust fans and extract moisture at the source as it occurs. Condensation is more likely to occur when its cold outside.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #6
Site Team

This is a very common problem in cold climates. The issue is simple. The insulation in the walls ceilings and bed frames of almost all but the high end RVs is not what you are used to at home. As a result during cold spells, they get cool/cold. In addition due to the small confined space, the moisture from cooking, showering or even living/breathing builds up. Once the moist air hits the cold walls etc, it condenses, If it does not warm up and evaporate it will grow mold. You need to insure that the heated air inside can get to all areas to help remove moisture. Areas like behind furniture and bedding need to have circulation. In addition of your mattress sits on a bed frame with storage under it you need to add a good moisture /temp barrier as the moisture from your body will penetrate the mattress and condense on the underside of the mattress and eventually mold. We put a pool noodle between the mattress and wall to allow heat/ circulation to that area. You can also try a good dehumidifier ( with a compressor). Keep in mind that that will add a reasonable current draw you need to consider.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #7

The OP is in Mississippi.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

Vents? There are no vents open.
Mcaruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This is a very common problem in cold climates. The issue is simple. The insulation in the walls ceilings and bed frames of almost all but the high end RVs is not what you are used to at home. As a result during cold spells, they get cool/cold. In addition due to the small confined space, the moisture from cooking, showering or even living/breathing builds up. Once the moist air hits the cold walls etc, it condenses, If it does not warm up and evaporate it will grow mold. You need to insure that the heated air inside can get to all areas to help remove moisture. Areas like behind furniture and bedding need to have circulation. In addition of your mattress sits on a bed frame with storage under it you need to add a good moisture /temp barrier as the moisture from your body will penetrate the mattress and condense on the underside of the mattress and eventually mold. We put a pool noodle between the mattress and wall to allow heat/ circulation to that area. You can also try a good dehumidifier ( with a compressor). Keep in mind that that will add a reasonable current draw you need to consider.

x2. If you've got one of the small non-condenser type dehumidifiers it's not going to cut it. Also make sure that you are placing all wet towels and clothes outside the rig- this is another source for moisture.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

Close vents/ windows, weatherstrip around any interior access points to under floor storage, foam any through the floor holes where plumbing/ electrical pass through, caulk around door openings. Run compressor type dehumidifier, should take care of it. If it doesn't you have other issues.

Tags
mold