Old 10-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

Mold, thereís a reason itís four letters

After our last trip in July, we brought our camper home, did the standard cleaning, placed damprid in the camper and in the storage compartments. I cracked the roof hatch for ventilation and backed it under the metal carport.
Today I pull it out and thereís mold on the surfaces of the vinyl couch. The roof is in excellent condition so itís not a leak. The damprid containers did have water in them.
Can someone smarter than me explain why do I have mold?

JKVenero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
western NC mountains!

do you mean Mildew?

formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Get yourself a good indoor Thermometer with a Hygrometer, such as https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1R0K68

You need to know the actual humidity in the trailer. You need to keep it at a max (highest humidity) of 50%.

It is obvious the damprids are not up to the task. So, you may need to get a dehumidifier.

If you are absolutely positive their is no water getting in, then that should fix it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #4

mold and mildew are two different things.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

Maybe bigger size or more containers of damprid.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Team

I run a 30 pint dehumidifier whenever the outside temp is above 40F. Added the external drain so I don't have to continually empty the pan. I have have a remote thermometer/humidity sensor so I can see from inside the house.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #7

Whether it's mold or mildew, at some point you picked up some spores. They can be transferred from a pet, or even your clothing. And given your location I'm guessing you've had some warm, humid days since July for them to multiply.

If you just wipe them off they will come back. You need to use something like Lysol to kill the spores.

Just cracking the vent does not provide much ventilation. There's no place for fresh air to enter. You also need to leave a window cracked open, preferably at the other end of the trailer. If that is not an option and you don't have a vent cover, invest in one. You still will not have good through ventilation, but you can at least open the vent fully without rain getting in.

Good luck.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
T&L

fighting moisture

We also use a dehumidifier in our stored TT. We are fortunate enough to be able to park next to the house where we have a power supply. We have an RV cover and do not leave any vents open on the RV. Dehumidifier is set on "continuous" and is run on a timer for 4 hours a day. Use an external drain and monitor the volume of water that is removed. Since we live in a wet climate on Vancouver Island, 90" rainfall per year we have found it better to keep the vents closed.....we are not trying to dehumidify the world. When it is wet we can regularly get up to a gallon of water produced by the dehumidifier. I like flybob's idea of using a remote thermomether/ humidity sensor....I will try that. We often camp in wet weather in Feb or March and take the dehumidifier with us. Vents are open when camping though.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #9

Mold spores are everywhere, you're not going to get rid of them. Keep the vents closed and use a dehumidifier in cooler weather, they don't work well above 85 degrees.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #10

Imo opening the vent defeats the point of the damprid because your opening the camper up to moisture.

The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold