Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Mold, there’s a reason it’s four letters

After our last trip in July, we brought our camper home, did the standard cleaning, placed damprid in the camper and in the storage compartments. I cracked the roof hatch for ventilation and backed it under the metal carport.
Today I pull it out and there’s mold on the surfaces of the vinyl couch. The roof is in excellent condition so it’s not a leak. The damprid containers did have water in them.
Can someone smarter than me explain why do I have mold?
JKVenero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #2

do you mean Mildew?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

Get yourself a good indoor Thermometer with a Hygrometer, such as https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1R0K68

You need to know the actual humidity in the trailer. You need to keep it at a max (highest humidity) of 50%.

It is obvious the damprids are not up to the task. So, you may need to get a dehumidifier.

If you are absolutely positive their is no water getting in, then that should fix it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

mold and mildew are two different things.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

Maybe bigger size or more containers of damprid.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Site Team

I run a 30 pint dehumidifier whenever the outside temp is above 40F. Added the external drain so I don't have to continually empty the pan. I have have a remote thermometer/humidity sensor so I can see from inside the house.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

Whether it's mold or mildew, at some point you picked up some spores. They can be transferred from a pet, or even your clothing. And given your location I'm guessing you've had some warm, humid days since July for them to multiply.

If you just wipe them off they will come back. You need to use something like Lysol to kill the spores.

Just cracking the vent does not provide much ventilation. There's no place for fresh air to enter. You also need to leave a window cracked open, preferably at the other end of the trailer. If that is not an option and you don't have a vent cover, invest in one. You still will not have good through ventilation, but you can at least open the vent fully without rain getting in.

Good luck.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
T&L

fighting moisture

We also use a dehumidifier in our stored TT. We are fortunate enough to be able to park next to the house where we have a power supply. We have an RV cover and do not leave any vents open on the RV. Dehumidifier is set on "continuous" and is run on a timer for 4 hours a day. Use an external drain and monitor the volume of water that is removed. Since we live in a wet climate on Vancouver Island, 90" rainfall per year we have found it better to keep the vents closed.....we are not trying to dehumidify the world. When it is wet we can regularly get up to a gallon of water produced by the dehumidifier. I like flybob's idea of using a remote thermomether/ humidity sensor....I will try that. We often camp in wet weather in Feb or March and take the dehumidifier with us. Vents are open when camping though.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #9

Mold spores are everywhere, you're not going to get rid of them. Keep the vents closed and use a dehumidifier in cooler weather, they don't work well above 85 degrees.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #10

Imo opening the vent defeats the point of the damprid because your opening the camper up to moisture.
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

I am fortunate as I haven't had any mold/mildew issues...yet. I use 2 containers of Damprid on the counter. We don't use the shower, so the moisture is mostly from a small amount of cooking and the normal sink water. Water is not your friend.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #12
Chris and Cecil

We live in humidity central— central Alabama between the Coosa and the Tallapoosa rivers, and have a 3 acre lake on our property. The best thing we’ve found is to open windows and curtains/ shades to provide cross ventilation and to open covered vents.

Also key is to let the sun shine in. That helps too. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

You did not say where you are located but I hope it's not anywhere where 60 % + humidity is common you need to add a good dehumidifier. I pull a full bag of water from 3 rid ex in frig, bath and front cab on a monthly basis . I also drain about a gallon of water from my dehumidifier. I was a licensed mold assessor for 20 yes before retiring and can tell you moisture and anything porous equals amplification of mold spores which will multiply very quickly.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #14

Next time do not crack any vents. It allows in humidity and will use up the damp rid quickly!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #15

I have power available and three vents with fans on two. Open the vent that does not have fan, run fans on other two. Seems to control issues with mold. Fair amount of fresh air comes in this way,
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #16

What's a mushrooms favorite condition ? a dark or shaded damp place. It's parked in the shade and a little bit of moisture is all it needs for some mold or mildew to start growing. Better ventilation, or as other have said...dehumidifier.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I run a 30 pint dehumidifier whenever the outside temp is above 40F. Added the external drain so I don't have to continually empty the pan. I have have a remote thermometer/humidity sensor so I can see from inside the house.
Curious, how did you set up an external drain? Run a hose out at the bottom of a slide seal?

We stored in the SF north bay area for a couple winters instead of hauling back to MO, really wet that time of year but did not have problems. We put a couple of 5 gallon buckets half full of kitty litter and made sure everything was sealed tight.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #18

You can even drain it into the shower/tub. It won't pull enough moisture to fill up your grey tank.

We place ours on the kitchen island and drain it into our sink (galley tank).
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #19

When I moved my old trailer (a 95 Terry) back into Washinton from Colorado I just used a dehumidifier and closed the TT up tight.

Never got around to "plumbing" the condensate collection tank so it would drain outside but as long as I emptied it once a month it was just fine.

I quit using the various moisture control devices that required crystals that soaked up moisture then just dripped into a container. Disn't care for their smell. The dehumidifier was barely noticable in my electric bill. During freezing weather I put two electric heaters in the TT on low power setting and set the thermostats on "No Freeze" settings.

Trailer remained mold free from 2003 to 2017 when I upgraded to the 2018 Micro Lite. Still use the same dehumidifier so I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

Another benefit of having an RV pad at home with a 30 amp power pedestal installed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold