Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

Monthly cost for telivision while camping.

OK, I was set to buy a dish for camping. But then I learned that I would have to buy another receiver. This receiver will add $7/month more to my dish bill. I could take my receiver from home and pay no extra money except that it is a HD receiver and then I would have to pay more for a HD dish. If our kids should come home when we are gone they would have no television. If I use my receiver with a dual head dish the receiver has to be reprogrammed each time it changes from house to camper. The only time we watch tv is the news in the morning with our coffee. The combined number of camping days per year is probably no more than 21. Then there is the hastle of trying to set up a dish. Now I'm wondering if it is even worth the effort. Anyone have thoughts on this?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1
OK, I was set to buy a dish for camping. But then I learned that I would have to buy another receiver. This receiver will add $7/month more to my dish bill. I could take my receiver from home and pay no extra money except that it is a HD receiver and then I would have to pay more for a HD dish. If our kids should come home when we are gone they would have no television. If I use my receiver with a dual head dish the receiver has to be reprogrammed each time it changes from house to camper. The only time we watch tv is the news in the morning with our coffee. The combined number of camping days per year is probably no more than 21. Then there is the hastle of trying to set up a dish. Now I'm wondering if it is even worth the effort. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I have two recievers at home one in the house one in my shop.

I take the shop one when camping which is hd reciever.

I then flagged down a (direct tv installer) and asked him if he had a ( dish network hd dish) which he had taken off of a house for a customer that switched.
He had one and gave it to me.
Then I mounted it to a tripod work light stand.

It doesn't matter if its hd or non hd as far as setting up its the same.
When I get to cg and get setup I take my dish and align it via setup on tv screen, get a signal and am watching tv in about 5 minutes.

A self aligning ( tail gater) set out dome is much easier but cost a lot in comparison to my free hd dish.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

By the way in case you didn't know dish has a program for campers to start and stop service at any time and I believe they issue you a reciever and and a tail gater set out dome.
Do not call dish network directly but call a local dish service outlet.
359.00 for reciever vip211k
149.00 for dish tailgater

You can purchase cheaper off ebay
There's a set on there now.

Then you can start and stop service at any time since you'll own components.
Weekly if u want.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #4

Direct TV also will suspend service during the winter months and then start it up again in the spring. We have cable in our house but went Direct TV for our FW. You only pay for the summer months. We have done this for the last 5 years. We just carry our dish and the tripod with us.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Villa Estate 392FLFB

that $7 a month or $84/year seams to be a cheap solution.