Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

More Leveling

There have now been a couple of occasions where my Camco Trileveler just doesn't give enough lift (3 7/8") to get the TT level side to side. Camco does not recommend stack blocks under the leveler for any added height either. Had this been a dirt campsite, I would have simply dug a pit for the high side wheels and worked it out from there. State Parks frown on digging hole in their asphalt
Looking for suggestions on what products there might be to get up to 6 to 8 inches of height without having to go to the lumberyard. I like the drive on ease of the Trileveler and have considered the Anderson unit but would only get 4" with their leveler. I'm looking for something "more"
Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	55397  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

I can't help with your issue. However, If I had to lift one side of my TT 6-8 inches, I think I would try to find a better campsite.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

I would normally agree. Sometimes you're just stuck with what you got. I was hoping for a graduated something that would from 0 to 8". Anderson Rapid Jack makes one for changing a tire but they suggest it's too long for a tandem axel, "To level wheels of single-axle trailers. simply place the small end of the jack under wheel and drive up until level. Please note - It will not work as a leveler for multi-axle trailers because the jack is too large to fit in between the tires.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Always Learning

A buddy of mine cut a 4x4 or 6x6 at an angle and drives up on that to level his camper. But, you're asking for a lot with being up to 8" out of level.

I know that the Lynx Levelers only recommend that you go 4 or 5 blocks tall (e.g. 4" to 5").

I think if this were me (and I know you said you were against this idea), I'd be looking at wood with the edges cut and angles to make driving up on it easier. But even that is a heck of a lot of wood to carry- figuring your average two-by-whatever is only 1 1/2" thick. To get 8" you're looking at 5 stacked on top of each other. I'd want a ramp so that the bottom most layer is the longest and progressively smaller until both wheels are fully supported.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with! If you have pictures that show the asphalt that is that far out of level, I'd be curious to see it.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #5

Well, let me say first, the Utah state park reservations web site leaves something to be desired. It turns out I had reserved a site with a 30' driveway to a tent site. Found that out after we parked and got all settled. CG host was very gracious offered to bring blocks etc to try and help but by then I had DW convinced we'd be OK for the two nights we were staying. The rest of the CG was booked full so not many options. Last year we found a similar problem at the Great Basin NP. Again not much could be done.
Please don't send me to the "wood shed".
The suspension takes up a lot of the rise with these levelers so you're not really 8" off level. Still I'd like to have something on hand when we run into these situations since we don't usually go back to the same place multiple times and often are in Forest Service, National Park or State Park only semi improved camp grounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPP_100144.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	55414  
Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Only thing to do is to carry several(4 or 5) 4' lengths of 2 x 6's or 8's and some Lynx blocks to use as ramps.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #7

Thanks OC I know you've been doing this a lot longer than I have, so maybe the simple is best approach is the way to go. I was just hoping for something like the Tri-Leveler just taller. Love the convenience of that thing but sometimes you just need "more"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of IMG_3554.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	55415  
Old 06-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Thanks OC I know you've been doing this a lot longer than I have, so maybe the simple is best approach is the way to go. I was just hoping for something like the Tri-Leveler just taller. Love the convenience of that thing but sometimes you just need "more"
Just bungee cord them to the back bumper and use the Tri-Leveler as the ramp.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #9

I wish I'd have taken a picture of the outfit a couple of sites away from ours. You'd have been proud of his ingenuity.
The guy must have been 4' off the ground at the tongue and 2' of blocks and rocks under the wheels. He used 2 packs of Lynx blocks (still in carrying case) and a couple 4x4's plus 1/2 a cord of firewood.
Looked like one of those swamp cabins down in the bayou.
I was worried we'd parked too close to an impending disaster. He pulled out early the next morning. Probably didn't have real peaceful sleep
Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I know you said you don't want to go the wood route, but if it were me, that's the way I'd be going.

I'd also be concerned about anything stacked that high shifting, so I'd probably work out a system of boards with holes drilled in them and a couple of lengths of rebar or pipe to act as a pin holding the boards together. I'd need several lengths to accommodate for each variation in height.

So, assuming an average 2x? is 1 1/2 inches high, and max required height of say 10 inches, I'd need to stack:

7 boards - 10.5"
6 boards - 9"
5 boards - 7.5"
4 boards - 6"
3 boards - 4.5"

Below that I'd just use my legos.

I'd make sure the top board was long enough to fit both wheels (plus chocks) and each board added below would be progressively longer to provide the ramp. I'd then stack them up the way I expect to have them when parking, and drill straight down at least two holes (though I'd probably go more. Like every 10" or so.) Next, put rebar in the hole and cut to be flush.

Next, I'd remove a bottom board, and cut new pieces of rebar for that height. Repeating for each of the 5 possible heights. If I was a welder, I'd put a plate on each rebar to keep it flush with the bottom board, but I'm not so most likely that's where I would have left it.

If I really wanted to get fancy, I'd put a sill around the top board to provide a kind of 'wheel guide' to try to help prevent the wheels from slipping off the sides as well.

Of course, since I don't camp in these kinds of locations (actually you can't even find anything like that here) this was more just a design exercise.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #11

You know if you pick the low side of the bed to sleep on it tends to help the "cuddle factor" cause gravity will not be denied. Pretty soon the DW is all snuggled up right close and comfy and who knows what might happen next.
Gotta keep and eye for the silver lining you know
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPP_1297.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	55421  
Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
There have now been a couple of occasions where my Camco Trileveler just doesn't give enough lift (3 7/8") to get the TT level side to side. Camco does not recommend stack blocks under the leveler for any added height either. Had this been a dirt campsite, I would have simply dug a pit for the high side wheels and worked it out from there. State Parks frown on digging hole in their asphalt
Looking for suggestions on what products there might be to get up to 6 to 8 inches of height without having to go to the lumberyard. I like the drive on ease of the Trileveler and have considered the Anderson unit but would only get 4" with their leveler. I'm looking for something "more"
Thanks for the help!
I've never had to raise one side more than 4" and think if I was going to have to I would change the position of the trailer so I wouldn't have to.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #13

Sometimes the options just aren't available. In this case a 3 7/8" leveler got me half way there. If I had something a little taller I'd have been more comfortable but it wasn't too much to deal with for 2 nights. If we were planning a longer stay we would have done something different like move to an RV designated site instead of a tent site driveway
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #14

I looked at these and thought they would be nice if it didn't need to be as high as you want. I have just always used wood in different lengths

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...r-leveler.aspx
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

Thanks Clutch, I saw these but they are limited to 4". Same company has a "Rapid Jack" same design but is 8" tall. Talked to their customer service folks and they admit you could use the rapid jack and a wheel chock under it to keep the TT from rolling back. Might be a reasonable option.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
I looked at these and thought they would be nice if it didn't need to be as high as you want. I have just always used wood in different lengths

3604 - Camper Leveler
A set of those on top of 3 2"X 8"X 4'...

I'd wear a parachute If I had to lift that much....
Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post

3604 - Camper Leveler
Think I will stick to using the boards 2"x 8"x 6' then keep some 2"x 8"x 12" and some 5/4"x 6"x 12" for fine adjustments.
usually the 2" hight adjustment is more than enough.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #18

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had hoped for a manufactured solution but evidently short of a bottle jack and some "Jenga-Tetrus" ingenuity I just need to find a more level camp site. I appreciate the input. Happy camping!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04270017.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	653.9 KB
ID:	55496  

Tags
leveling