Old 10-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #1

Most Recent Trip, A disgusting development!

So we just got back from a short 2 night trip in which my son and I went bass fishing on the warm side of the state. We stayed at a beautiful state campground overlooking the Columbia River/Wanapum lake. While there a middle aged couple drove in a took a spot on the other side of the loop from us but well within view of our campsite. There are usually lots of campers at this park as it is really nice and this was no exception. Well these folks were trashed! I mean the guy was stumbling around drunk. They had no tent that we could see and didn't know what they were doing there but they had paid the camping fee. We watched as this guy stumbled around and then proceeded to whip out his junk and urinate right out in the open! He proceeded to do this at least 3 times in about an hour and in full view of the family camping next to them who had a young special needs daughter!

Now, myself and one of the women from that camp coincidentally walked to the ranger office at the same time to lodge the same complaint, this guy needs to go, or at least go in the provided bathrooms! The ranger stopped in and had a talk to them that it was unacceptable and then came to talk to me. He told me he had to go but that he had called county and state police and would I tell them what was going on when they arrived?

I did so and the police went to have a talk with this pair. After the police left another camper I had been talking fishing with earlier came over to our site and told me he had a police scanner and had caught the conversation with the officers and dispatch when they ran the names of these two. Turned out both were wanted on warrants for alcohol related felony charges out of other counties but because they were "Non-extraditable" the cops would not arrest them!

Not only were these trash peeing in public but they were wanted and worse yet they would not be arrested!!! WHAT!!!! Is this what it means to "Serve and Protect"? What the *&^%^%$ are my tax dollars going for? It seems our police here are hell bent on pulling over drivers for 10mph over the speed limit but come across two wanted felons and they wont arrest them? I was outraged! About a half hour after the cops left this inebriated couple must have thought better about staying and hit the road, DRUNK!!!!! No doubt to drive to the scene of the accident! I can only hope that they didn't end up hurting or killing someone innocent after they left.

I was disgusted at the public peeing but more disgusted and outraged that these two weren't hauled off to jail. No wonder crime is rampant!

Here in Washington state it seems the police are more interested in collecting revenue than protecting us from the real criminals.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #2

Hell of a story.

A fine example of Taxation; without representation.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
bmg

" It seems our police here are hell bent on pulling over drivers for 10mph over the speed limit but come across two wanted felons and they wont arrest them?"

The answer is very simple. They make money when you're ticketed for going over the speed limit. If they arrest 2 drunks that are wanted out of their jurisdiction it costs them money to take them to jail and then extradite them. The system is designed to make money for the courts and attorneys.

When I was a kid the cops mainly directed traffic and supervised school crossings. Now they're basically revenue agents with Tasers.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #4

You can't blame the officers at the campground. Blame the original jurisdiction; they're the ones who set the "pick-up radius," which is what controls extradition. And it really is a money thing. It costs money for the original jurisdiction to come after the bad guys, and they have to weigh the cost versus the original offense.

(I'm an ex-cop.)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #5

Why didn't you file a formal complaint? The cops would have had to take them to the station, no?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Why didn't you file a formal complaint? The cops would have had to take them to the station, no?
No they don't. A complaint is not necessary they can be taken in for "public intoxication" but they opted obviously not to do so. Therefore they drove out of the place drunk maybe to mame or kill someone down the road. As long as they keep moving from county to county they will never end up back in jail where they belong because of crappy legal system that is more concerned about money than public safety.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
You can't blame the officers at the campground. Blame the original jurisdiction; they're the ones who set the "pick-up radius," which is what controls extradition. And it really is a money thing. It costs money for the original jurisdiction to come after the bad guys, and they have to weigh the cost versus the original offense.

(I'm an ex-cop.)
I'm blaming the entire broken pice of crap system that allows things like this to happen. I pay taxes to be protected from these low lifes not the guy going 10mph over the speed limit! I don't give a rip where they are wanted if they are wanted they should be picked up! You can damm well bet if someone like this T-bones me and are drunk and I find out they were wanted on warrants and not arrested there will be a huge lawsuit involved with the state of Washington! They ought to use a little of that revenue they get for pidddly ***** infractions and buy a little gas and drive their buts 3 hours to get these pieces of crap off our streets.

Sorry for the rant but this kind of "cop out" if you will is sickening to me. This is purely a case of "as long as they aren't in our jurisdiction it isn't our problem" What a pantload!!!!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #8

It's not of much use now, but IMO you should have called the cops again once they hit the road. They absolutely would have been pulled over at that point. Dial 911 or direct to the state patrol.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #9

I agree with you, Jeeper. With what you saw, I am having second thoughts about why I worry so much about having a civilized glass of wine before dinner in the state campgounds here, which prohibit even the possession of alchol. Even in private campgrounds, we try to enjoy our drinks discreetly because we just don't want to bother other people. If people don't want to drink or don't want to even see it, we can respect that. The guys you saw should have at the very least been kicked out of the campground and, with the other information known about them, should have been arrested.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #10

"IMO you should have called the cops again once they hit the road. They absolutely would have been pulled over at that point. Dial 911 or direct to the state patrol."

Mr. Black, that is actually a very good suggestion. A few years back I was travelling towards Seattle and saw two vehicles weaving in and out of traffic, slamming on their brakes in the middle of 70 mph traffic, and otherwise being complete aholes. I got the licence number from one, and phoned the state troopers with that and a description. Maybe 20 miles down the road, two state patrol cars had them pulled over and the jerks were spreadeagled with their hands on the truck of their car. It does pay to call the troopers. County cops are another matter.