Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Sunseeker 3010DS

Motor home on the Beach?

Just wondering if anyone out there has taken their motor home to California's Oceano SVRA Beach Camp? ( Pizmo Beach) I'v seen motor homes on the beach in some pictures but also read that many people get stuck. Any tips, tricks or sound advise? Sunseeker 3010ds.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #2

Unless you've modified your unit with a track vehicle kit, I wouldn't go out there!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

Yes stay out of sand with a RV! Youroo!!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

I know some people have done it, it is possible they are lowering the PSI of their tires to "float" on the sand.

Motorhome, I'd think long and hard before doing it and have a local tow company on my speed dial.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #5

If you travel a little further south to Ventura, there is Emma Wood State Bch. I camoed there last year and you are literally camped just above the high tide line. You fall asleep with the sound of the waves crashing on the surf next to you. I sat next to a fire while watching the sun go down on the water, very peaceful.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
The beach access road at Oceano does have a nice entrance/exit that takes you right out onto the hard sand near the water, but this leads a lot of inexperienced people to get "in too deep"...literally. Unless your motorhome is 4wd, you would be playing with fire. The vast majority of RV's camping in the sand are trailers pulled behind 4wd vehicles, and even some of them get stuck.

If you do decide to try it, all tires should be lowered in PSI for flotation. When running a 4wd truck/SUV in the sand, 12 PSI is good if you're gonna go back and forth from sand to pavement all day...8 PSI if you're just gonna stay in the sand till done playing. I am not sure whether or not these numbers would work with a motorhome though. If your towing a trailer...lower the pressure in it's tires also.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #7

We beach camp often but we don't use a motor home, we have a Travel trailer. Our friends who normally camp with us have TT's or 5rs. You don't see many motor homes. I have been stuck pulling the TT in with lower air pressure so now when I go, I just hire the local tractor that is normally at the beach and pay the $20.00 to tow me to the camp site and another $20.00 to pull me out. This is easy with at TT as the tractor just has to ball adapter but for a motor home, it would require something completely different. I would advise against it.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Life is too short not to go for it. I have been there years ago in a 19' Class C and a trailer.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

We camped in an RV on the sand many times at North Padre NS and some in OR state parks. Stayed on packed sand. However will not do it in my new camper because of the salt damage to the vehicle.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #10
Sunseeker 3010DS

Thanks to you all for the good advise! After doing some more research, and talking to a couple of vets of OHV's. I ordered a front mounted trailer hitch with a tow hook. I will lower my tire pressure to 20 psi as per my tire guy,( no sharp turns,) stay at or near the high tide mark on packed sand until ready to park, and go for it!! I agree, "Life is too short not to" I will be traveling with 3 other 4X4's.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

We have done it many of times with our motorhome pulling our trailer. we also had a jeep in the trailer so we could sort of help ourselves if needed, I would check the tide charts, go in at low tide not to far down the beach just past the area where you can camp, back in as far as possible, I mean as far
Then build a sand dam in front of our rig as best as possible when the tide comes up hope you are back far enough Thats half the fun , then break out the jeep and cruz
Great place to hang out never gets to hot. but with the overcast put on sunscreen.
If you do get stuck there are guys there in trucks just waiting for you $$$$$$$
I can assure you $20 won't do it, although there are some guys there that is what they do is take you out and pick you for a fee.
We would take pieces of 1/2" plywood cut in 2'x 8' strips and put them under our tires and that helps to get our if you need it, back in the day we were set up for sand would go to Pismo and Glamis quite often, always had that plywood in the trailer just in case.
Check the tide chart and go for it.

Have fun
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #12

Good luck. I watch the YouTube videos of people at Pizmo beach. Take a look could give you tips on what not to do. Seems like a lot of people do it. Make sure you let us know how the trip went. Its not the same, but I pull a 5ver on the beach (not Pizmo but NY). Airing down helps alot, when I go down to 14 lbs. I can go all over in 2wd. Only have an issue backing up in 2wd. Try not to turn when backing up, if you can avoid it.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #13

Ive been there and got stuck twice. A real madhouse the day I was there. We had been thereabout 15 years earlier and drove a 36 foot motor home on the hard pack sand and had no problems, but now its too busy. The sand is hard packed on the beach close to the water, but getting out there from the street and turning around is a sure axle depth tire spinning experience. Stay at a place close to the sand and drive your off road toys into the dunes, if that is what you are there to do. If you have a pick up with 4 wheel drive, it MIGHT be a different experience.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #14

I've had one experience parking on the sand for a week, and I don't look forward to doing it again (although I'm sure we will)! With three teenagers and all the stuff, we ended up with sand EVERYWHERE! It's in every nook and cranny inside and out, in all our mats, rugs, chairs, sofa, etc. etc. That was in February and we're still trying to vacuum it all out. I guess that's just the price for having lots of fun.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #15

If you're just looking for the beach experience but not planning to run quads or other sand machines you can camp on asphalt at the edge of the sand at Morro Strand State Beach north of Morro Bay and Seacliff State Beach up near Santa Cruz. Full hookups are available but apply EARLY for reservations.
2015 Flagstaff 21DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #16
Sunseeker 3010DS

Motorhome on the beach

Well we did it! Best camping trip in 40+ years of camping. Do it right and it's lots of fun. Not for those of you who love peace and quiet. More for the thrill of watching the kids and grand kids have a blast and play in the surf just steps away from camp. In mid Sep. the weather is perfect. I did a lot of research and made sure to bring all the stuff needed to air down tires and air them back up. I even installed a forward facing trailer hitch in the event I needed to be pulled forward. $70.00 and about 1.5 hours to install. It may come in handy if I need to maneuver my boat in a tight spot as well.

Any way if you like a little adventure give this a try. I would recommend as we did, go after school starts or before it gets out for the summer and get there during the week for a good spot near the water I don't think you can get a heave Motorhome too far into loose sand although I say some way back. check the tides and travel to and from during lower tide periods this allows people to drive around you while airing up or down tires, and there is plenty of hard packed sand. still new to this so not sure how to send pix?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiewaggie View Post
We camped in an RV on the sand many times at North Padre NS and some in OR state parks. Stayed on packed sand. However will not do it in my new camper because of the salt damage to the vehicle.

THAT is my immediate thought, the salt damage to every metal part in/on your MH. But, it's your call.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #18
Sunseeker 3010DS

Yes the salt and sand were well worth the experience. Nothing a little pressure washing and sop vac couldn't take care of. We are at the coast a lot because we live about 40 miles from it. with regular cleaning I'v had no signs of salt damage.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #19

Good to know!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamac View Post
Yes the salt and sand were well worth the experience. Nothing a little pressure washing and sop vac couldn't take care of. We are at the coast a lot because we live about 40 miles from it. with regular cleaning I'v had no signs of salt damage.

Do you spray the underside of your RV after beach camping, or is it seal coated anyway?
We live 1/2 mile from the beach, but as in all so. CA coastal towns, we have a lot of traffic. We aren't of the super rich to live with an ocean view from our house, so beach camping to go to sleep by the sound of the crashing surf is next best thing! Our little poodle love beach camping too, and it's fun to see them frolic and truly love their leash walks in the campground. We have an annual day pass and can take our MH down to the beach to spend a day relaxing. Haven't done that yet, but may still. That salt air really sticks. But, as the rig gets a little dirtier in the driveway, we may take it down to the beach.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums