Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
For us (a family of 4 + in-laws are regular guests), it all came down to floor plans - then it was just FW vs. TT. For a family, there just was no comparison between a towable vs. MH.

At the sizes we were looking at, I liked the perceived benefit of better towing handling that the FW offered made our choice for us.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by 67sam View Post
PS I forgot to say that a motorhome should last 15 years and you cant get that out of a truck pulling a trailer so you will need 2 trucks and one trailer.
I knew there would be a happy MH operator out there!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I knew there would be a happy MH operator out there!
That is what I wanted to hear.....from both sides.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
This our 1st time at this .We researched all we could on camping and RVing. We bought a motor home as we feel that it will suit our need better. No one know your needs better than you.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Had TT, then MH and now FW. Starting to get the same itch as you and now looking at MH again. IMO, its the only way to travel. The operative word being travel. If I was at a season site or long term site then a parkmodel or bigger TT or FW would work. But I like moving around and it's going to be a MH for me. Cheaper on fuel too than a TT or FW. When you do stop and camp , you drive a little toad around instead of a big PU. I've experienced that very scenario when we travelled with friends who had a MH with a toad and we had a Ford PU with a 30' TT. His gas consumption, overall, was much less.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The missus and I have been looking at motor homes, trying to figure out the best floor-plans and options for when she retirees in about 4 yrs. A conversation at the FROG rally with a forum member who had switched from a motor home to a travel trailer got us to thinking about the pros and cons of motor homes vs. 5th wheels, or even the right travel trailer, although we are leaning towards 5th wheels if we decide to do the pull behind thing again.

The cost is probably gonna be about the same. A new 3/4 or 1 ton truck and 5th wheel, vs. a motor home pulling a toad.....I have a Jeep Wrangler already.

We have discussed some of pros and cons like:

Can't back a motor home with toad attached.
Motor home probably easier to back (without toad).
Can't walk to the back to pee or get an snack in a pull behind while in transit.
If a motor home needs to be serviced overnite, you loose your lodging.
Probably easier to service a pickup.

So, we would like the input for those that have owned both. We are planning on still have our sticks and bricks, with several months each spring and fall on the road.

Thanks, Chap
Neither tt or FW can be approached, started and under way to a new destination in 5 minutes or less. I've done two trailers and 4 motorhomes, there's no substitute for convenience and portability. As for inspection, I've never removed anything for state inspections, always drive thru myself. Now we have 5 year intervals. Besides if someone wants used but good towels or pots, let em have them! Motorhomes are truly self sufficient, including built in A/C plant. We may be outnumbered, I'd never go back to towed. Oh yeah, movie stars and music giants don't use towed either! LOL good luck with whatever you go with.....
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Oh yeah, movie stars and music giants don't use towed either! LOL good luck with whatever you go with.....
Hold the phone on that one. A lot of movie stars use trailers still. Will Smith had a big deal not too long ago while filming in NY for MIB3. (Will Smith's trailer hits road amid NY complaints - Washington Times) He had a workout center and recreational room in it. It was a huge 5'er. Also, what about the old saying in Hollywood? "If you need me, I'll be in my trailer." You can get a lot more room out of a towed than a MH, even though I have seen some massive MH's.

And more here
TV: '06 Ram 1500 SLT QCSB Hemi 4x4
TT: '12 Grey Wolf 27BHKS
Tow Acc: Tekonsha P3 BC, Curt round bar WDH w/sway control, CIPA custom fit tow mirrors
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Not a lot of experience here but we bought a MH in April. We owned a small pop up 20 years ago so all I know is About MH and thats not much. I love driving the MH its easy to set up. The ride is great with the air ride. My wife Fixed me a cup of coffee and went to take a nap as I drove home from Indy today. It's easy to get used to driving and a toad takes 5 min to hook up. I can see it in the camera and although you can't back up it is a breeze to pull. We thought long and hard and it came down to the truck. I didn't want to drive the 3/4 or 1 ton diesel as a every day driver. I also get around 10 mpg with the MH.
FR has a few things to work out on mine but they are working on it and if you haven't looked at the 2013 Berkshire the RB is very nice.
That being said everyone has there own needs and wants, thats why they make so many different ones to choose from.
Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
We have owned a 31' TT, a 40' 5th, and now own a 36' MH. For us the MH works out the best. The TT took too long for hook/disconnect. The 5th was nice for a long stay at a CG but the TV was cramped with the 5 of use and two Boxers. For us it is nice to just have to pull over when some one has to use the restroom and the walk to the rear. Or stop and make a bite to eat on a LNG trip and be back on the road in 10 min. In a 5th or TT you have to pull over get out of the TV open the trailer go into a hot unit, move the slides to have a little room to eat. Another plus for us as others have mentioned is we do a lot of sight seeing when we go places. Having a toad half the size of a 3/4 or 1T makes parking in a busy city or area a breeze. As for on the road the MH and 5th were both easy driving with the MH edging out the 5th with a better view of the road and a more comfortable cabin (class A). Connecting disconnecting the toad takes 3 min and we can be parked and set up in 5 min with the MH.

concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, toad, motorhome