Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Dunno, but aluminum anode in WH can smell like sulphur. Check the battery like was mentioned
Make sure the P traps are full as well... shower?
WW
For a while we had a big stink in our TT after it was moved. We suspected the toilet but eventually learned it was the shower. The P-traps are often small and can dry out. Even flushed grey tanks stink - REALLY stink - so we learned to keep the plug in the shower when it was not in use.

www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoms View Post
Ok thanks, I'll try adding water first. The battery does have caps that come off but I can't see the level unless I take it out (I'm assuming). The batteries are under the stairs going into the motorhome from the main door
If I remember right, on my old MH on the coach batteries there was a line on the outside of the batter that was marked full, then you use a flash light and just kind of eye ball the level inside. When it's close to the same level as indicated on the outside your good, it's not an exact science when it comes to filling them, just don't fill them to the top.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #13

Thanks will do, would rather not take them out if possible, have a busy night ahead of me.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

Just a quick update for the record...was really easy to top up the water levels, one battery was obviously dry. But it didn't matter, this morning the sulphur smell had returned with a vengeance. I hope this is under warranty, I've only had this thing for 2 and a half months!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Just a quick update for the record...was really easy to top up the water levels, one battery was obviously dry. But it didn't matter, this morning the sulphur smell had returned with a vengeance. I hope this is under warranty, I've only had this thing for 2 and a half months!
You filled the p-traps including the shower? Is all the faucets closed? Could you have left some kind of food product in a space you forgot about?
Could it be chlorine smell because of the vinyl or materials in the new camper? I went into a closed up trailer at a dealer several month back and the chlorine (or whatever) gases burned my eyes and I had to make a hasty exit.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
Site Team

If I understand you correctly, the smell was reduced when you disconnected the batteries and returned when you reconnected shore power. This would indicate a 12V problem. If the one battery was dry, it most likely shorted one or more cells and is causing the electrolyte to boil ( emitting sulfur smell). Take the battery out and take it to an automotive parts store to be load tested. If it is good then you could have a defective converter which is over charging. House batteries are usually installed by the dealer and if they were not properly filled to begin with, it could have caused the battery tp fail prematurely. Don't waste your time trying to charge a bad battery. It may show charged however once you put a load on it, it will fail.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
You filled the p-traps including the shower? Is all the faucets closed? Could you have left some kind of food product in a space you forgot about?
Could it be chlorine smell because of the vinyl or materials in the new camper? I went into a closed up trailer at a dealer several month back and the chlorine (or whatever) gases burned my eyes and I had to make a hasty exit.
WW
Pretty sure it is the battery, the smell is coming straight from it..
Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If I understand you correctly, the smell was reduced when you disconnected the batteries and returned when you reconnected shore power. This would indicate a 12V problem. If the one battery was dry, it most likely shorted one or more cells and is causing the electrolyte to boil ( emitting sulfur smell). Take the battery out and take it to an automotive parts store to be load tested. If it is good then you could have a defective converter which is over charging. House batteries are usually installed by the dealer and if they were not properly filled to begin with, it could have caused the battery tp fail prematurely. Don't waste your time trying to charge a bad battery. It may show charged however once you put a load on it, it will fail.
Thanks for the advice. At this point, I'm going directly to the dealer as it could be a number of things. They will call me back once they figure out my warranty....that doesn't make me feel really good about the place I bought from..
Old 08-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. At this point, I'm going directly to the dealer as it could be a number of things. They will call me back once they figure out my warranty....that doesn't make me feel really good about the place I bought from..
"Once they figure out your warranty"??????
I thought you said it was only 2-1/2 months old?
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
"Once they figure out your warranty"??????
I thought you said it was only 2-1/2 months old?
I know. Not happy. It's a 2015 used motorhome but they gave me a warranty as if it was new, that's what they said!

Tags
motorhome