Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

Mounting TV in Bedroom

I’m picking up my 831CLBSS Classic Super Lite this week. Does anyone know if the sticker that states “Mount TV Here” is the “exact place” I should install the mounting bracket with the 3” supplied screws?
dougshaw62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #2

If you are unsure take a stud finder and find the limits of the mounting bracket. No do not use the 3" screws I would use nothing longer then about 1 1/4 inch.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougshaw62 View Post
I’m picking up my 831CLBSS Classic Super Lite this week. Does anyone know if the sticker that states “Mount TV Here” is the “exact place” I should install the mounting bracket with the 3” supplied screws?
Yes, but measure the thickness of the wall, I think most are 2" thick

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 AM   #4

2" is for a interior wall , outside might be 4" you didn't say where.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #5

When I mounted my TV in the bedroom, I found that the sticker was way off. The wall was soft and nothing was behind it. When I called the dealership and asked about sticker placement , they said it was dead on. Not even close. Be sure before you drill.
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty edition 279RLDSLE
2014 F150 Ecoboost Supercrew with Max Tow
Billorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #6

Thank you.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

I will be doing the same soon and thank you all for the help. The one thing I wonder is what is the max size TV you would put in the bedroom on the 2" walls?
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmeat123 View Post
I will be doing the same soon and thank you all for the help. The one thing I wonder is what is the max size TV you would put in the bedroom on the 2" walls?
I mounted the wall bracket on a piece of 1x6 and to the wall with 2" screws. Has held a 32" tv for thousands of miles on my last 5er. This 5er came with 3 tvs and I made a bracket for the 4th where wired in the basement.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
They don't make a flat screen heave enough to worry about it. At least one that will fit on a bedroom wall.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

The TV backer is most often pretty high in the bedroom. Tap the wall from the ceiling down. If it sounds more like a thump, it should be the backer. The paneling is very thin, so the sound would be more hollow.

When I installed our TV, I removed the coax plate from the wall, used a small flashlight and DW's compact mirror and looked up inside. Once I could see it, I used a tape measure and fed it up inside the wall until it bumped the bottom of the backer. Noting the measurement to the top of the coax plate cutout, I removed the tape from inside, measured up on the outside and marked it with masking tape. I then measured down from the ceiling and used that figure as the max low for the placement of the mount. Once you have the measurement from the ceiling you can move over on the wall for the mount.

Once I located where to mount, I took the extra steps to mount a power outlet and a coax port concealed behind the TV. With that set up, there were no wires hanging down the wall.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
They don't make a flat screen heave enough to worry about it. At least one that will fit on a bedroom wall.
I think he is right, just drill a 1/8" hole where it is marked you should hit wood easy to tell and cover up. Don't over think it. I bet you will be fine, as far as size I would say nothing over 32", but also try to get a flat bracket you still have to trie and walk around it. The only reason I didn't put one in was the space it took to walk around it. Not all trailers are the same as mine, very limited.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The outside walls on Classic Super Lites are 1-1/4" thick.
DO NOT use 3" screws unless you want them coming completely through the wall to the outside. Nothing longer than 1". Inside walls are only 1-7/8" thick.

I was told by the factory on Classic Super Lite's the backer on an outside wall is metal and the backer on an inside wall is wood. Mine was on an outside wall and a magnet attached at various points, showed me the exact dimensions. Be aware!... the backer on an outside wall is very thin metal. (think soda can thin) Place a drill stop on your bit (or wrap with masking tape) to keep from punching through to the outside when drilling a pilot hole.

My installation has held a 32" TV for 2 years.

Best of luck!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
X2. The average weight for a 32" LED is 11 lbs. You should be able to just press on the paneling with your finger to locate the backer.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #14

I installed mine by mounting a piece of 1/2" birch plywood larger than the tv to the wall using a number of screws, and finished the plywood to match my cabinets. That gave me a very solid base to mount the TV bracket, and most of it is covered by the tv anyway, but it actually looks pretty good! It survived a 4000 mile trip last summer, as well as a couple shorter ones since, so I think it's good to go.
FLTBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:51 AM   #15

Quote:
There are so many really light weight TVs today the better question is how big a TV will fit in your room.

The mount point in our living area was a 2X8 anchored to the frame. I could hang an engine block from that. I walked the assembly line where our th was built and saw inside the walls. The mount in bedroom was a piece of OSB 3/4 inch thick and about 12X12 square anchored to the wall frame and paneling. That mount went up fine with 1 1/4 dry wall screws. My limit between door wall and built in amenities was a 26 Samsung. Costco for about $149 with a coupon. Oh and those run on an external power block with a 14 v dc feed line. I made a straight dc cord running off a cigarette lighter type socket. Work s fine straight off battery. Got DC to DC converter for the 32 inch Samsung smart TV in living room. Had to step 12 v DC up to 19v DV for that one. Amazon for about $15.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #16

Funny...we’re trying to figure out how to take ours out.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #17

Great idea using a magnet. On a Rockwood 2606ws there is a metal area on the outside wall. thanks!!
Timeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The TV backer is most often pretty high in the bedroom. Tap the wall from the ceiling down. If it sounds more like a thump, it should be the backer. The paneling is very thin, so the sound would be more hollow.

When I installed our TV, I removed the coax plate from the wall, used a small flashlight and DW's compact mirror and looked up inside. Once I could see it, I used a tape measure and fed it up inside the wall until it bumped the bottom of the backer. Noting the measurement to the top of the coax plate cutout, I removed the tape from inside, measured up on the outside and marked it with masking tape. I then measured down from the ceiling and used that figure as the max low for the placement of the mount. Once you have the measurement from the ceiling you can move over on the wall for the mount.

Once I located where to mount, I took the extra steps to mount a power outlet and a coax port concealed behind the TV. With that set up, there were no wires hanging down the wall.
There was a request for a picture of this TV install. I am back and found the picture. None of the wires or boxes are showing which I guess is the point. The bracket and shelf above are for the blu ray player and the HDMI cable is also concealed. The player (when in place) is held in place with self adhesive Velcro. When we don't use the camper, we use the player in the house. The webbed pocket on the lower left of the TV is for the remote. We found this at a truck stop. None of this interferes with movement around the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4210483.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	166811   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4220498.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	166812  
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags