Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Mouse issue

We had a mouse, hopefully just the 1, but.....
I’ve sealed the entry ports I could find into the living area but larger holes into storage compartments.
Thoughts or cautions using expanding foam.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

Use rodent resistant expanding foam found at many hardware and home improvement stores.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Open every cabinet, every cubby. Some may involve removing screws. Check everywhere for places where wiring or plumbing penetrates the floor. Fill those gaps with foam.

I found that my RV cover actually made things worse as they were using it to climb into the fridge vent. From there, they went into the furnace vents and into the underbelly. They then chewed into the ductwork and lived in the underbelly.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Open every cabinet, every cubby. Some may involve removing screws. Check everywhere for places where wiring or plumbing penetrates the floor. Fill those gaps with foam.

I found that my RV cover actually made things worse as they were using it to climb into the fridge vent. From there, they went into the furnace vents and into the underbelly. They then chewed into the ductwork and lived in the underbelly.
Same with me, I quit using the cover 2 years ago.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:40 AM   #5

I have had them in my basement twice- No clue how they got in- but I have added small bait blocks in clear plastic containers to my basement- I have never seen a mouse again but one of the blocks was eaten ( last meal). good luck
Old 05-02-2019, 05:36 AM   #6

Neighbor had them three years in a row. No cover, indoor storage. Eventually found a 4" hole where they ran a 1/2" Pex line thru floor burried behind a panel in a cabinet. Covered hole with metal plate he made...above and below floor...below required removal of some of the underbelly. Following year...no mice.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
I have had them in my basement twice- No clue how they got in- but I have added small bait blocks in clear plastic containers to my basement- I have never seen a mouse again but one of the blocks was eaten ( last meal). good luck
Just my experience.. you can do with it what you want.

I too put those bait blocks in the underbelly of my camper. They were the big green ones. All was good until last winter when they got in I suspect through the fridge (my experience is above). Well, when I opened the underbelly to replace all the ductwork I was met with a barrage of green mouse turds. The little pukes had eaten the bait blocks and had evidently feasted on them for quite some time. There were green mouse turds everywhere.

Last fall I asked the place where we store our camper to out some extra deterrent which he did.. some more of those bait blocks as well. The new ones were yellow and smaller. I found several of those in my underbelly too. They must've climbed the camper with a bait block and stored them for further consumption.

I don't know if those things have an expiration date or something but you may want to check it out. I'll never use them again.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

For what its worth...

I have strong aversions to the bait blocks. It did not happen in my current camper but another a few years back. Bait worked great- mice loved it and gobbled it up. Then died in the hidden areas of the camper. It took me hours to find where the smells were coming from!

I would encourage you to spend $20 on traditional snap traps. I got a case for $20...
I put nearly 30 traps in my camper two winters ago. I would go in every two or three weeks to check. Most times I would check there were one or two caught... though it slowed down in late winter. BUT, I had ZERO damage from mice- and no smell of dead mice!
This winter we had a new camper, I did the same 30 traps, but- being new no mice got in! I plan to keep the heavy trap setting going, kill those "buggers" before they get a chance to do damage!!!

From experience, write down where you put each of the traps, or at least how many in each room so you can account for them all in the spring!

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Site Team

Please do not use bait blocks, use snap traps instead or seal all the openings. Once rodents eat bait blocks they become very thirsty and go in search of water. During that search they can be eaten by family pets, or raptors which in turn are the poisoned. Just last night there was a news story of 7 Bald Eagles being killed after eating a poisoned fox.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Good Victor snap traps.
It is the ONLY thing that works every time for us and we have tried them ALL!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote