Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #1

"Mouse Proof" Travel Trailer??

Are there any travel trailers that are "mouse proof". I have fought this problem with my 2007 Rockwood 27ft. with a slide out. I can't see any points of entry from the bottom. I thought I had the problem solved when I removed the access on the front of the bathtub & found a mouse nest and that it wasn't sealed where the drain goes through the floor. But after sealing it last summer, I had just as many mice last winter as ever. I have even used spray foam around the slide out, but suspect that they still may be coming in around the slide. We want to purchase a new travel trailer in the future. I would like feedback on what others have found to be "mouse proof". We would still like a 27 - 32 ft. with a slide out.
Thanks
johndeereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

Sorry. No such thing.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

All you can do is your due diligence and there are some great ideas on this forum for repelling mice, everything ranging from commercial pellets, to ultrasonic plug-ins to dryer sheets. I use ultrasonic plug-ins at my house with great results for insects; I have two in my camper as well. I've never had mice, either in the camper or at home, but I didn't have them before I started using ultrasonics, either, so I can't say that is why. But I do not see insects in either place .
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sorry. No such thing.
I am in this camp also! Plus Never go around any "Disney Park" Total Mice! Youroo!!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #5

I crawled under my camper and with a flashlight,I looked at all the places where a mouse could possibly get in. Areas around the wheels and axles was sealed,no entry there. Area around the tank drains,sealed,no entry there. Finally I looked at the area around the rear stabilizer jacks. There I found access to the frame and directly into the water heater compartment following the gas line. From there mice had access throughout the camper via the raceways for the water lines and gas lines. That meant access under the shower,vanity and kitchen...also into the stove. Solution,sealed off the access via the rear stabilizer jacks. Since I've sealed that off ( rodent proof spray foam) my mouse problem has ended.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

If your shore power cord is permanently attached to the TT and is pushed inside for storage, mice can follow the cord and get in. I've found drain pipes to be very poorly sealed, amounting to a huge mouse expressway into the TT. Removing drawers, access panels, etc, and sealing every opening I could find seems to keep the adorable little critters out.
Sorry, I'm not aware of any TT that claims to be rodent proof.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

The best you can do is make sure to seal as much as possible. Open all the cupboards, cabinets, and storage bays. What I noticed is that the areas where HVAC, plumbing, and electrical enter/exit is usually big enough for the little buggers to get through.

I went around and sealed everything with spray foam. Also, items that contact the ground are frequent entry points like crawling up a cord, tire, etc. Spraying them.wuth some kind of rodent repellant helps.

The only sure fire way (and we've tried fresh cab and multiple others) was moth balls (which my family hates).

Last winter after sealing everything I could find and the moth balls I think we had one mouse. Pretty good I think.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
The best you can do is make sure to seal as much as possible. Open all the cupboards, cabinets, and storage bays. What I noticed is that the areas where HVAC, plumbing, and electrical enter/exit is usually big enough for the little buggers to get through.

I went around and sealed everything with spray foam. Also, items that contact the ground are frequent entry points like crawling up a cord, tire, etc. Spraying them.wuth some kind of rodent repellant helps.

The only sure fire way (and we've tried fresh cab and multiple others) was moth balls (which my family hates).

Last winter after sealing everything I could find and the moth balls I think we had one mouse. Pretty good I think.
Any suggestion for something you could spray on tires, etc, like you mention?
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOtel View Post
We used this.. keep applying every few weeks.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

Tomcat14 oz. Mouse and Rat Repellent Aerosol
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tomcat-1...0605/302683092
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #10

Just place cheap 'snap traps' around with peanut butter. They love peanut butter. Attrition will wear them out.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I've read that rodents don't like mint...

Hhhmmmmm...imagine that!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #12

Mint oills and steel wool in every imaginable place they can climb into or around. And mouse traps checked everyother day. If they can get under a door or in a 3/8" hole they will try,
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #13

Mouse repellant

We have used an Attack Wave Pest Repeller and peppermint oil on cotton balls placed around the trailer in storage areas, and any access spots that we considered possible entry points. We've been doing this for five years and never have mice, ants, alligators, or any other pesky critters getting in.
I use another Wave Repeller in the garage and haven't had mice come in there since I put it out either.
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #14

The electronic "shock" mousetraps work great. They are pricy and u was skeptical at first but now own three of them and have them in the basement and garage. A little peanut butter and you will catch mice left and right till they are gone. Easy clean up and no mess.
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeereman View Post
Are there any travel trailers that are "mouse proof". I have fought this problem with my 2007 Rockwood 27ft. with a slide out. I can't see any points of entry from the bottom. I thought I had the problem solved when I removed the access on the front of the bathtub & found a mouse nest and that it wasn't sealed where the drain goes through the floor. But after sealing it last summer, I had just as many mice last winter as ever. I have even used spray foam around the slide out, but suspect that they still may be coming in around the slide. We want to purchase a new travel trailer in the future. I would like feedback on what others have found to be "mouse proof". We would still like a 27 - 32 ft. with a slide out.
Thanks

Can't buy a mouse proof unit but can do much to make one so . in 4 yrs i've never had a mouse ,except one which i loaded with some boxes from storage . killed him right off and never again . first thing you need to do is drop the underbelly completely . seal all holes in frame where line may go through etc . then when re installing under belly seal with expanding foam on the edges as you screw it back up being sure to double the screws the factory uses , then cut off excess foam that will come out the sides and then silicone the edges . use the great stuff around all plumbing lines , when cured trim off excess then with the silicone mix with steel wool making a paste and coat all the areas where the plumbing comes throung and any other small holes and you should be good to go . i set up seasonal in places like west yellowstone and see the mice running through the grass and have never had a mouse after the first one 4 yrs ago . also decon cubes spread out under the unit kill them disease spreading suckers .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #16

We recently had $4,000 in wiring harness damage done in less than 1 week in our secure on military base storage! Our 2016 Forester 25 ft MBS. We keep it in immaculate condition and run it weekly when not in use! We were fortunate! MB picked up $1,000 under warranty! The $3,000 wire harness was picked up by Progressive after an inspection and to see how we take care of it! We had a $250 deductible! Lesson learned: 1) We still use traps. 2. Our RV dealer totally undercoatrd our RV with a rat and mouse repellant that looks like insulation! It also covered cracks and little holes. The cost is $200 once a year unless we drive through a lot of rain! 3. We also use steel wool inside where they might come in via the full slide! Another great preventive I Learned—go on Amazon and buy 100% pepperment oil! Get Kcups and cotton! Put the cups in the engine and storage areas! Inside in a few places! Every 2 weeks replenish the pepperment drops! It’s worked wonders the past year! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #17

Fill it with cat's
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOtel View Post

Be very careful spraying anything on tires, many pest control products contain petroleum products that can harm the tires.

Get several old coffee mugs and place 2-3 cotton balls with 4-5 drops of essential oil of peppermint on them in the mugs. Place them in the TT. Be of sure to use pure essential oil of peppermint ( not cooking or hobby grade). You need to refresh every 6 wks or so.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #19

The following was in the RV & Resort Magazine. Since I have never had mice
in RV can't say if the article's suggestions work.

The do's and don'ts of Keeping
Mice out of Your RV

DO:

- Bounce Dryer Sheets — This is a
relatively inexpensive way to repel
mice because they do not like
the strong smell just scatter the
sheets throughout your RV; check
once a month to make sure sheets
are still fresh.

- lrish Spring Soap — Slice up the
bars of soap and place the pieces
throughout the RV; this method
has the added bonus of making
your RV smell fresh and clean
come spring.

- Moth Balls — As long as you don't
mind the smell the strong odor of
these scattered throughout the RV
will keep the mice away.

- Peppermint Oil — Soak cotton balls
in this proven mouse deterrent
and place them throughout the
RV. it'll keep the mice away and
keep your RV smelling minty fresh.

- Tape — Buy rolls of packing tape
and cover every vent or opening
the mice could possibly use to
sneak into your RV.

- Comet — This handy house cleaner
can be spread around the wheels
and the jacks of your RV. The scent
and texture will keep mice from
crossing the line.

DON'T :

- Use traps baited with cheese or
peanut butter. This will only attract
mice you may not have had in the
first place

- Leave any food in the RV. When
you winterize, be sure to remove
anything in the cupboards that
will attract hungry mice.

TIP:
Already have mice in the RV?
Sprinkle baby powder under and around
storage areas and doors to check for
tracks. Once you figure out their access
point, cover the area with tape or block
it with steel wool

RV & RESORT MAGAZINE April/May 2016
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #20

Mouse proof? No such thing. I think even if air can't get in that a mouse could find a way!

We keep it clean, even packaged unopened foods kept in sealed plastic containers. Grass and weeds always cut underneath if not driveway. Sprayed for bugs and rodents. Just have to be diligent, those little suckers can chew through concrete if no other way.
Squirrels and mice both can get in if they want.
Electric insulation and other construction products seem to be tasty as well. Insulation and paper makes good nests.
We put out some of the rodent bait packs underneath and make sure we keep them fresh.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, trailer, travel, travel trailer