Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #31

I purchased a 2014 Wildcat and have had similar issues with quality control and inadequate attention to details. It is a shame that the consumer gets the shaft.
If you bought a car for over 20k with this many issues it would be a lemon.
Forest River makes as many as they can in a day and the dealer sells as many as they can in a month, so there is no time for quality or caring for that matter.
I have had a lot more trouble with the service center / dealer than FR to this point. Both have a lot of room for improvement !!!
They Just want you to bend over and ...... take it.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #32

That's exactly it. I was just telling my wife this today I will never buy new again.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #33

I'm already looking at a new Montana, isn't life fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #34
Jeffco, MO

A Good PDI

You stated that you had a 5 minute PDI. So you didn't check or operate the jacks or the water heater.
Rule: Do not accept an RV and sign for it until you have an acceptable PDI and all issues addressed. Our PDI was over an hour long and the dealer also filled the water tank and checked for leaks and the water heater before we had our PDI. This was our fourth RV in 8 years so we were aware of a very extensive PDI.

By the way, we also had a factory tour of our last two 5ers before we decided to purchase. You need to see how they are made and have a feeling that you can have confidence in the production system.

Every RV will have some defects, some more than others. Our current Cedar Creek had three minor issues which were fixed in about an half hour.

Last point, you have to have faith in the dealer. If not, travel to another dealer. Talk to previous customers for references and even this forum.

Who are you going to sue? FR, Wildcat or the dealer? Why did you accept a defective product? Would you pay and accept for a car without checking the brakes? There appears to be some negligence all around.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #35

I took a tour of the Wildcat factory and spent over two hours there, they even pulled one up front just like I wanted. I talked to the plant manager, I talked to Wildcat Chris, he was a man that came on a forum that was set up by Wildcat owners. I was sold on the Wildcat Sterling, they even told me they would put a fireplace in the bedroom. I ordered a Wildcat and got a Polecat. I went from NC to the plant just to see how the Wildcat was built. I also went to the Heartland factory and the people at Wildcat did a better job on selling me the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
You stated that you had a 5 minute PDI. So you didn't check or operate the jacks or the water heater.
IMO the dealer should be doing their own PDI prior to sale. This is what the dealer where I bought my TT did. Although everything worked and was in perfect order when I took delivery, they didn't set up my hitch correctly. The guy instructing me did the setup and then misinformed me as to the adjustment and use of the sway bar. If it's not one thing it's another.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #37

First off we did not know there were defects or we WOULD NOT have accepted the camper, please read the previous posts. Second,we're not as unhappy with the dealer as we are with the manufacturer, yes the dealer should have been more thorough in the initial checkout but all these items are manufacturing issues, basically a breakdown in the quality control process in all areas so IF it comes to litigation we WILL be going after Forest River. And AGAIN if you've read my previous posts you will find that we have purchased several campers before and have never had these issues so we assumed it WAS checked before we took delivery.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #38

I agree Brew, the dealer should be checking all systems before delivery. How the hell is the customer going to check the hot water heater on the dealer's site before taking delivery? The answer is you can't and you have to rely on the dealer to check those systems before you take delivery. We could have demanded they check every system before and in hindsight we should have but based on our previous experience with other manufacturers we hadn't had any issues and assumed they would have checked all systems especially on a new purchase.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #39
Jeffco, MO

Even though I feel I am a qualified RV owner, I always have the dealer give me a thorough PDI for two reasons. First, maybe the manufacturer changes some part of the operation since my last RV. Second, I want the dealer rep to convince me he knows as much or more than I know about using an RV. Remember trust, but verify. I also practice hook and unhook the RV with the dealer giving me guidance.

If the PDI was 5 minutes, that was the first clue. Second, one should not assume anything from a dealer unless you have proven confidence.

I am not justifying the Wildcat lack of quality. I was told by my dealer that when Wildcat Chris left Wildcat, the quality went down and my dealer actually dropped Wildcat. We traded in our Wildcat after 3 years because we did not like the floor plan. We had no major problems with it and were very pleased with the quality we received when we picked it up.

I'll agree with others on this forum that some dealers are much better than others and FR should drop dealers that do not give the customers the service that FR expects. If dealers give FR feedback on the quality of the product they are trying to sell, FR will take action. After all, the dealer pays FR for the product and you purchase it from the dealer. Also, who knows what happen during transit from the manufacturer to the dealer The dealer should check.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #40

I don't disagree with any of that and this dealer should have been more thorough without a doubt but in my opinion all these issues are Wildcat quality control related. Some of them didn't manifest themselves until after the first trip and like the bedroom tv breaking and the kitchen island panel just popping off but these are all Forest River issues which is the reason I posted originally. People need to be aware of these issues and be armed with this type of knowledge when making a purchase from Forest River. As a consumer our only recourse is really word of mouth and the internet and I intend to use both and whatever else at my disposal to both rectify my situation and possibly help someone else from making the same mistake.

Tags
cat, wildcat