Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #1

Murphy Bed Gap

Does anyone have the problem of a gap between the head of mattress and the back wall? We have only spent 2 nights in it and it seems that there is a gap that forms at the head of the bed. Lost my pillow a couple of times down there. Any good ideas to counteract this?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwolf 700 View Post
Does anyone have the problem of a gap between the head of mattress and the back wall? We have only spent 2 nights in it and it seems that there is a gap that forms at the head of the bed. Lost my pillow a couple of times down there. Any good ideas to counteract this?

Yes... Very annoying. We had a Rockwood 2306 with the Murphy bed... Had it two years. We added a 3" full length queen memory foam on top of the short queen mattress... Pushed it up next to the wall and that pretty much solved the problem.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #3

Sure am glad we got model without murphy bed. Lost pillows, no pass through storage, fold up problems just too much for us to deal with, although many of ya'll are pleased with murphy bed. I guess that is why they make models with & without m/b.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Sure am glad we got model without murphy bed. Lost pillows, no pass through storage, fold up problems just too much for us to deal with, although many of ya'll are pleased with murphy bed. I guess that is why they make models with & without m/b.

I feel I must defend the murphy bed in our old 2306 😉... While I admit to the gap having been annoying the first couple nights (until we added the memory foam)... And I had to be a little more creative without a pass through (we never had a fold-up issue)... We absolutely loved the murphy bed option. I'd consider it the main feature of our old 2306, hands down. Every camper has its advantages and short comings. No other option, in my opinion, gives you the best of all worlds (sofa and dinette) in such a light-weight, minimal footprint camper, like the murphy bed option. And the ease of towing... And being able to show up at any campground in a 23' camper without the fear of "will it fit?" Had our son not become a mini-giant, we'd still have it.
In my opinion, I think every camper series should have a murphy bed option. Imagine having two sofa's and a dinette in a 31' camper with a slideout? Woo hoo!

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Old 04-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #5

How about 2" foam between mattress & wall?

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

2" of foam would fall down quicker than my pillow does. If you've never seen one, there is a gap all the way to the floor at head of the mattress. I'm sure I'll figure something out when I open it back up soon.
Saberwolf 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #7

We have a 2504s with Murphy bed. It still has a pass through storage so not sure why other models don't. I admit I've lost my pillow into the abyss once ... but just once in more than 30 nights of camping. I do really like the flexibility of the Murphy bed ... spacious living room by day, comfortable bedroom by night. All in a length that I can tow with an SUV.

RShelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed