Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Must haves for first time

Got a few dates already booked this summer. Some with kids (boys 9&7) and some without. 26dbs. Trying to thinking of everything we'll need I'm sure we'll figure it out after a couple trips but wondering what are some must haves?

No outdoor kitchen so we'll want something to cook outside. I have an electric smoker I thought about bringing along. Propane grill, electric griddle or camp chef tripod? What's the most useful?

Grabbing a mat for outside. Going to toss some fuses, pliers, wire, hammer, cresent wrench in there. Using paper plates. Some wooden blocks. What are the"duh,I can't believe I didn't think of that" items?
SickDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #2

Don’t forget all the hook ups (water/electric/sewer) or you wont be enjoying anything. Then pack lots to eat and lots to drink and a sense of humor. Everything else can be figured out.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Extra length on water/sewer hoses and extension for electrical. Our maiden voyage 20 years ago, we had a 28ft TT with water connection on the back. 25ft water hose and site connections were in the front - had to borrow some extra hose.

Folding Table? Lantern.
Something to keep the mat from blowing away in the wind.
Things to keep the kids occupied
Wheel chocks
Wood for the landing jacks to go on. I like a cordless drill with socket for raising/lowering the jacks.

Not knowing all that you already have, it's hard to make suggestions.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:49 AM   #4
Always Learning

I haven an article specifically for this question:
Newbie – First Trip Essentials | Learn To RV
Old 05-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
NH Maple Maker

Camp in your driveway for a weekend and only go back into your house for things that you find out that you need. Do everything else like you would at a campground.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #6

Campsite games. Ladder toss, washers, horse shoes, corn hole etc. Bikes are fun to go explore with the whole family. The key is to make it fun for the kids and momma! If they are having fun, you will also.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #7

I keep a small toolbox with the tools I might need to fix something that goes bump in the night. Have many times lent tools to fellow campers to fix something. It can be a breeze to fix something when you have the tools (especially those square screwdrivers) and a nightmare when you don't.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

owners manuals! Something to keep notes in for: lists for what you think you might need; things you forgot; suggestions; etc.

Just have a good time. Even if something goes wrong, it is still something y'all are doing together.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

Dogbone adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladivar View Post
Don’t forget all the hook ups (water/electric/sewer) or you wont be enjoying anything. Then pack lots to eat and lots to drink and a sense of humor. Everything else can be figured out.
Take adapters to make sure you can connect to a 20, 30, and 50 amp pedestal.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

Robertson screwdriver bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
I keep a small toolbox with the tools I might need to fix something that goes bump in the night. Have many times lent tools to fellow campers to fix something. It can be a breeze to fix something when you have the tools (especially those square screwdrivers) and a nightmare when you don't.
Robertson bits

or here.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #11

We carry a 2 burner propane stove for outside cooking that we bought at Academy.
NE Louisiana
2017-32 days camping in a Starcraft popup
2018 4 days camped (popup), 4 days (new tt) 11 days reserved.
Jimmie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDSM View Post
Got a few dates already booked this summer. Some with kids (boys 9&7) and some without. 26dbs. Trying to thinking of everything we'll need I'm sure we'll figure it out after a couple trips but wondering what are some must haves?

No outdoor kitchen so we'll want something to cook outside. I have an electric smoker I thought about bringing along. Propane grill, electric griddle or camp chef tripod? What's the most useful?

Grabbing a mat for outside. Going to toss some fuses, pliers, wire, hammer, cresent wrench in there. Using paper plates. Some wooden blocks. What are the"duh,I can't believe I didn't think of that" items?
Set it up n your driveway for 2 days. Try and live with what you think you need. You will find our quickly what YOU need and want!
Old 05-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
nagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #14

For our first run, we are going to a local county park that has lots of campsites. Full hookups, inexpensive and able to run home or go to local known stores for stuff if we had to. About 10 miles from home. Reservations made for a couple weekdays before school is out. Toured the place, found the optimum lots for ease of pull in, and found the best route to get in towing.
I've already slept in the new TT a couple times with the grandkids. Did NOT want to fill up the black or grey water tanks until I had an easy dump for them.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #15
I Break Everything

Might as well start a tool box just for the RV, to insure you don't take anything out when back at home, then don't have it on the road. If it's a TT, extra pins and clips, Extra electrical wire, wire ties, rags, Clorox type wipes. We don't have an outdoor kitchen either, we have a small Weber charcoal grill and Weber propane 2200Q series grill. Bring lots of bottled water. It's seems we don't get enough water went out on the road or at a park. We "camp" a little different than most. We do like the outdoors, but we also like what towns/cities/areas have to offer. Get a calendar of events for the places you're going. Last time we were in NY we saw the Rolling Stones in Buffalo. You never know what might come up so a good since of humor is mandatory. Have Fun.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time