Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

My Alarm Clock/LP Detector

My CO/LP detector/alarm has started to go off every night at between 1:30am and 2:30am. It has done this every night except one for the last three weeks, but only when the camper is occupied - which it has been for 16 nights. I am assuming that if it alarmed while unoccupied, it would not stop alarming until I returned to my camper to turn it off. First, I have no LP leaks - I am a plumber and I have excluded this as a possibility. Second, my CO/LP alarm is only (falsely) alerting for LP and not CO.

What the heck? Why is it going off with such a predictable pattern? My dogs sleep about ten feet away from the detector. Could they be farting on a regular schedule and setting it off? I'm perplexed.

Bruce
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

I vote on the dogs. I think I would get a second battery operated LP detector and see if it alarms along with the original. Or just replace the original. No little Coleman bottles in the rig?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

LP/CO detector life time!

My newly acquired 2011 Georgetown 300FWS had its co/lp detector die....and in small print on the unit was "replace by 2014".....bought a new one( had to also get new solenoid)...$300 plus labor...and it states that it must be replaced at 60 months life time!!!!!!!!
The manufacturer has a guaranteed replacement every 5 years for the lifetime of the motorhome!!!!!!!!!!!
Your unit may be approaching its designated lifetime end!

Good luck, George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

Yup. It's the sensing cell.

My rebreather had 3 O2 cells that had to be replaced every year, at $150 a pop.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

While I don't dispute that the less than one year old device may be defective, can anybody explain or opine on why it goes off at the same time every night, only when the camper is occupied?

Bruce
Old 07-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
While I don't dispute that the less than one year old device may be defective, can anybody explain or opine on why it goes off at the same time every night, only when the camper is occupied?

Bruce
Sorry Bruce.... I have no idea. Maybe you need to call Ghostbusters?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

I have blamed lots of things on my dog.....Seriously. I have heard that the offloading of methane by dogs- or ?those who blame dogs - can set those things off.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
My CO/LP detector/alarm has started to go off every night at between 1:30am and 2:30am. It has done this every night except one for the last three weeks, but only when the camper is occupied - which it has been for 16 nights. I am assuming that if it alarmed while unoccupied, it would not stop alarming until I returned to my camper to turn it off. First, I have no LP leaks - I am a plumber and I have excluded this as a possibility. Second, my CO/LP alarm is only (falsely) alerting for LP and not CO.

What the heck? Why is it going off with such a predictable pattern? My dogs sleep about ten feet away from the detector. Could they be farting on a regular schedule and setting it off? I'm perplexed.

Bruce
Yes it could very well be the dog. I saw a video on YouTube awhile back about this very thing. A young lady full timer was having the exact same issue. And it turned out to be the dog passing gas. If it were my dog it would probably melt the detector. I have GOT to change his food.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #9

Sorry, but yes, CO detectors are good for 5 to 7 years, then have to be replaced. Not cheap ! But better safe than dead !
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #10

Mine goes off if I let the battery get too low.
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #11

If the dogs didn't do it, I'm betting on the alarm warning you that power or battery is low and needs replaced. It gives you a grace period. Note use specific batteries to keep warranty in effect Could be defective, I had that happen and manufacturer sent new one. Alarms only malfunction at night. Check all your vents for new critters and proper vent alignment, don't wake dogs
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Yes it could very well be the dog. I saw a video on YouTube awhile back about this very thing. A young lady full timer was having the exact same issue. And it turned out to be the dog passing gas. If it were my dog it would probably melt the detector. I have GOT to change his food.
Seriously? Can a dog laying in front of detector passing gas really set them off?

In our previous trailer we had ours go off once. Ruled out propane. Nothing from a compressed can being being sprayed. Reset the detector. Never went off again, nor did we ever figure out what caused it to go off in the first place. If this is true, I may have 2-3 years later found out my answer! It was hubby...I mean the dog!
CountryGirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #13
"On the road again"

One suggestion (based on our experience) before you go and spend the money for a replacement...use a vacuum hose and clean all around the detector as well as the detector itself.

Ours wasn't quite that predictable, but was going off very frequently day and night. Once I vacuumed to remove all dust from it - it hasn't uttered a peep except during a TEST. Lights still working to indicate it's actively monitoring and we sleep very soundly with no interruptions.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #14

I have seen spiders make a home in detectors, that will intermittently set them off. Check your detectors for that.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote