Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #1

My Hondas powering me thru Sandy

I'm on the south shore of Long Island we got hammered by Sandy pretty much wiped much of my area out. I've been without power now since early afternoon on Monday. My house and travel trailer escaped without issue and more importantly nobody was hurt. I have had my Hondas powering my Fridge,freezer,and cable TV since then and after running these bad boys the last few days and comparing to the neighbors construction genny it is real evident how these sip fuel. I'll say the nieghbors on the other side of me appreciate the noise output as well tho in a time of need such as this noise is not nearly as important as in the relaxed atmosphere of a campground. Over 900k people without power (out of 1.1 Million) here on LI as of last night. I work for Verizon Communucations and as soon as the power authority clears areas and deem them safe i'm gonna be working some loooong days restoring service. I sure hope the beaches we all get to camp on here during the summer are not devastated beyond use. Good luck to all who were in Sandys path no matter where you are stay safe. I have some trees to cut up in my front yard im gonna get to work.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #2

Got a B&S 7kw (9kw peak) that has the fridge, lights, and important coffee maker on it. Oh, sump pump, even more important, running every 20 minutes. Watched Netflix on the BlueRay since FIOS is working. Local power, PPL, is working hard and bringing crews in from all over. Hope to be back from the boondocks by Saturday.

Once I get the wire run to the garage, we'll have our well water too. Just wish I'd had the chance to change the water heater to gas. Oh well, worse comes to worse, showers at the Y.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

While we never lost power, my 6500 watt "Contractor Special" that sounds like a 747 at takeoff power went to my sister's house and my truck mounted Yamaha EF30SEB went to my Dad's. My "Heat Buddy" and 3 tanks of propane are at my brother's to provide heat for his 6 foot Iguana "Henrietta" and his house.

I am hoping that our power stays on (it has!) because I am flat out of generators.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Friend of mine moved into their Class C with a built in generator.
Right now electric company are saying we'll have juice on Sunday... before 11 pm.
If I didn't have to keep the sump pump going, I'd take the trailer somewhere warmer and dryer.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #5

We escaped big damage from Sandy and also lost power early on Monday. Neighbors daughter and son-in-law got 30" of water in their house. We had a neigbors 150' tall tree come down. Just missed my home and auto. Running my 8k diesel generator that is in my class A. I have a 100 gallon fuel tank in the coach that the generator runs off of so I should be ok for a while. No phone, internet, or cable without genny running. Also running 2 frigerators and 1 freezer off the genny. Hope I get power soon because that fuel tank will get used up quickly even though I only run the generator about 10-12 hours/day. Also getting colder now. Only about 45 so far today.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

tmmar your next issue is getting fuel here on Long Island (i'm in Suffolk). 9 out of 10 stations were out of gas and the 1 that did have it had a line an hour long! I heard the Coast Guard is opening the ports in the AM and allowing tankers to dock and deliver fuel so lets hope. Glad I bought my fuel miser Toyota 4 banger last year.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

Glad you guys are making it

I feel your pain. Even though I'm here in Cincinnati now the wife and I went through the Joplin, MO tornado last year. Ran on a 5500W for 8 days waiting for power. We wouldn't have stayed but had to make sure we didn't get looted. Rode out the tornado in our bathtub 3 blocks north of the high school. Someone's roof sheathing came through our dining room and something else knocked plenty of holes in our roof. We were actually very blessed. Spent the next three weeks helping neighbors dig out of the rubble. 1 1/2 blocks south there was literally nothing left. The wife and I are just happy Sandy's death toll isn't higher and wish all of you guys the best coming out of it. Hang in there.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote