Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
My Shining Experience

I conducted a little experiment with making my RV shine.

I have a 2006 Coachmen Adrenaline 42' 5ver. It is white Filon fiberglass. After reading the various threads and seeing the various products I decided to conduct a little experiment.

I did not include pictures because it is almost, if not, impossible to get good pictures a white siding without glare as I have also seen on the forum.

Products used:

Zep wet look floor shine. $26.00 1 gl

Expensive IBIZ wipe on wipe off anything carnauba based wax. States it is good for RVs $20.00 16oz

Expensive IBIZ spray on wipe off cleaner and wax carnauba based $20.00 16oz

Nu-finish wipe on allow to glaze and wipe off. Contains no wax and boast lasting a year. $10.00 16oz

I first washed the camper with blue dawn, then washed again with Ajax and Bar Keepers powder. I rinsed each section for several minutes. As I was washing I used a 50/50 mix of bleach and water on black streaks and mildew around windows.

I used the Zep on my ramp door. Results are a very shiny wet look but it did change the color from white to an off white slightly tanning or eggshell color. Very noticeable. I really am not crazy about the change. I also had some runs that I did not catch, the runs are hard to see b/c they are very clear on white but then turn brown as they dry.

Wipe on wipe off IBIZ did not shine on the filon as I thought it would, was not very noticeable that anything was done. It also had a dirty edge look to it and would not come off as I did the area next to it. I am very disappointed in this product as I have used it on cars with great results.

Spray on IBIZ, same results as above.

Nu-Finish did a great job. It was the easiest to apply and left a good shine. It cleaned away any remaining residue (which you will always have) and left no dirty edges.

Conclusion (IMHO):

The NU-Finish was by far the easiest to apply, left a good shine and is also the best price. All will last a long time.

The Zep was the shiniest and may be suitable for color but not for white. Also the longest application and must be very careful about runs. I used a microfiber cloth over a 2x4 to apply.

IBIZ is a carnauba based wax used for professional detailing and is similar to Mequires, Mothers, etc. I was very disappointed in this product for use on my RV.

I am into this little experiment about $200.00 so I did not try any other products. Overall, I think it is hard to beat the Nu-Finish for ease of use, cost and life of shine.

harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
I have been using NuFinish on my autos and RVs for 30 years and I am always happy with the outcome. I stock up when it goes on sale. It must also have a cleaning agent in it because it removes stubborn streaks as I go.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote